• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Juvenile Molt?

JBPutrino

Moving in
Emmie seems kinda itchy. I noticed she has been scratching around her head yesterday and today. She also looks a bit scruffy around her head and is shedding little downy feathers. She's only going to first be four months old on 6/22 - is this the beginning of a juvenile molt or do I need to worry about something? She was at the vet two weeks ago and was pronounced perfectly healthy. Her nose is clear, she's otherwise acting fine - she's eating and seems happy, she just is looking a little unkempt in the last day or two. We give her mist baths and she loves them. Her diet is mostly ZuPreem pellets with some veggies as treats (Broccoli, corn, peas and the occasional little bit of bread crust). I don't think she's plucking as she's more unkempt on the top of her head and they can't pluck there. I've seen her preen herself pretty much all over, but have not seen her pluck. She has not lost any "major" feathers, just the little ones with the fluff at the base. Anyone have any ideas? :confused::confused::confused:

maimaie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
She might be molting. I don't know much about IRNs so I don't know if this is the right age/time for a molt, but Luca (GCC) had been going through his spring molt for a while now. If she is molting you might want to lend a hand with the pin feathers on her head... but beware of blood feathers and be gentle.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Quaker did a light molt around 3-6 months of age :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's been a LONG while (22 years) -but I do remember Titan having some molting around 6 or 7 months old....:)