• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it normal for Java to be so stationary? He sits in the same spot until it's time for bed, even though he has plenty of toys and interaction from me. I know some birds are more active than others but Vasas are known for being very playful and active, but Java isn't. Is it just his personality or is he still settling in? I'm still not sure I've seen his true personality yet. How will I know? Also, am I just over thinking things and expecting too much? Don't mean to ramble but it's been on my mind for a while and I thought I'd ask.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:chin: Could be either his foot bothers him sometimes (maybe more during certain parts of the day or certain weather like arthritis?) or it might be a little tiring for him for get around with just the one for now. I doubt he had so many opportunities at his old home, so he's probably getting stronger playing with you! :) He's likely still taking in his new home. I'll bet y'all're tons more entertaining than you think! :D And maybe it is his personality a bit, too. Scotty usually stays on top of his cage most of the day. I try putting a few small toys up there & a little t-perch and some fleece so he's not just on the bars, but he's nowhere near as active as other people's green cheeks. Even when he's on us, he likes to sit on our shoulders and preen. He has his moments where he'll bash his bell ball or talking cell phone toy around, but that's about it. He's not big player. :shrug3:

Just wait til Java starts flying regularly! He'll be such a pro he'll be able to go anywhere he wants & that ol' foot won't hold him back plus it'll be so fun, freeing and such great exercise you'll never have to worry about him being a perch potato. :fly2:

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't wait until he starts flying. I'm hoping that'll build his confidence. How do I ease any soreness in his foot? I don't think he's a big player either because he'll knock around his toys every now and then. I notice he has to turn his neck to play with his toys, and I'm still looking for a way to position them in front of him head-on so he can play. Sometimes I feel bad for him when I watch him take five minutes to shift his position. I wish there was more I could do to help him. My sister and I thought of fashioning a makeshift prosthetic but we just don't have the materials or a solid plan right now.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Could you hang his toys so they come back to the same spot for him? We keep a cat bell ball on an elastic string hanging just above the top floor of Scott's cage. After learning about choking hazards on here, the string is now sheathed in a plastic drinking straw. He can grab it, slam it, throw it & it always comes back. And for the top of the cage or his door you could use toy hangers. :) Not sure how those attach, but I'll bet there are some that screw on like a perch. :thinking:

For his feet, I just lay a hand towel sized piece of no-pill fleece on top of the cage so he can choose to be on it if he wants. His cage is flat & it's not near the edge so it won't fall off. Best part is I can swap it out easily for another piece when it needs washing. Sometimes he does explore the fleece & even hides under it. If the looseness of the fabric is difficult for Java to maneuver you could put down cardboard or non-glossy newspaper.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could you hang his toys so they come back to the same spot for him? We keep a cat bell ball on an elastic string hanging just above the top floor of Scott's cage. After learning about choking hazards on here, the string is now sheathed in a plastic drinking straw. He can grab it, slam it, throw it & it always comes back. And for the top of the cage or his door you could use toy hangers. :) Not sure how those attach, but I'll bet there are some that screw on like a perch. :thinking:

For his feet, I just lay a hand towel sized piece of no-pill fleece on top of the cage so he can choose to be on it if he wants. His cage is flat & it's not near the edge so it won't fall off. Best part is I can swap it out easily for another piece when it needs washing. Sometimes he does explore the fleece & even hides under it. If the looseness of the fabric is difficult for Java to maneuver you could put down cardboard or non-glossy newspaper.
Most of his cage is covered in fleece, and he sits on a half- moon door that folds down. On one side I have his bowl and the other side I have a few toys that hang beside him. He'll beak them for a few minutes but he pretty much just sits there all day

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's got plenty to do when he decides he want to do it. Have you seen him play with the toys? If not you could play with them in front of him so he knows what they're for, but I'm guessing he does & that's just one content bird. :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I've seen him play with them before but he looks a little confused like he's not certain what they're for. I've played with toys in front of him, and he watches, but then when I offer the toy, he cowers from it. Poor guy.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Give him time, he's still learning to be a happy bird and what your flock is like. When Dobby is in his cage he mostly just sits on his favorite high roosting perch and snoozes. Once he's let out for the day once everyone is home he zooms around and chews on things, hits his favorite spots, and chases my sister around and begs for food. Pionus sometimes will take 6 months to decide some new toy or thing is OK but once they do look out. Nerd didn't trust his first ladder to the floor but once he finally decided it was safe he ran up and down it all the time and chewed the wood rungs. He was so put out when he finally chewed it to sticks and I got him one with plastic round rungs he couldn't chew and he was happy again. Keep trying things as one day he's going to see something he really likes and look out.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Patience @Brittany0208 patience. He has been with you for such a short time and has come so far. To Java, the entire world has turned upside down and he trying to catch up with it. You have made friends with him, you have discovered his bumble foot and are taking care of it, you have provided him with good food, comfort and security and love. He has things to amuse him if he so wishes and you to dote on him. That all sounds pretty good for a bird that has come from a lifetime of nothing.

Relax and enjoy him and you will see him coming out of his shell slowly but surely. It's a slow process, but a rewarding one.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
It took Sam a while to adjust to having a cage--he lived on a cage top where he was before I got him, while other birds lived below him--when I bought him his first cage for there, he used to stay in one place and not play with almost any toys. He'd stay at the top of his cage and would only move to hide. When they're used to having nothing, it takes a while for them to feel it out sometimes. It's just an adjustment :) now, the rainbow chicken is pretty active, and he used to be terrified of rope perches, now he has one that he loves--and I was told he'd NEVER like those.

Before you know it Java will be himself :) you're doing so much for him, it'll happen.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It took Sam a while to adjust to having a cage--he lived on a cage top where he was before I got him, while other birds lived below him--when I bought him his first cage for there, he used to stay in one place and not play with almost any toys. He'd stay at the top of his cage and would only move to hide. When they're used to having nothing, it takes a while for them to feel it out sometimes. It's just an adjustment :) now, the rainbow chicken is pretty active, and he used to be terrified of rope perches, now he has one that he loves--and I was told he'd NEVER like those.

Before you know it Java will be himself :) you're doing so much for him, it'll happen.
Thank you. My uncertainties keep me up at night, and I find myself wondering just what the heck I've gotten myself into. I hate that I'm putting him through all these changes and moving so fast, but whenever I have an idea on how to improve his life, I want to put it into play immediately. I have a new Critter Nation single unit coming in a few days, and I think that will be his permanent cage as it's more tailored to his needs and it'll give me peace of mind knowing he won't fall. Everyone here on AA has really been patient and helpful, and I really appreciate it. You guys have made caring for a disabled bird much more easing on the mind, and Java and I are very grateful for each and every one of the members here.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Thank you. My uncertainties keep me up at night, and I find myself wondering just what the heck I've gotten myself into. I hate that I'm putting him through all these changes and moving so fast, but whenever I have an idea on how to improve his life, I want to put it into play immediately. I have a new Critter Nation single unit coming in a few days, and I think that will be his permanent cage as it's more tailored to his needs and it'll give me peace of mind knowing he won't fall. Everyone here on AA has really been patient and helpful, and I really appreciate it. You guys have made caring for a disabled bird much more easing on the mind, and Java and I are very grateful for each and every one of the members here.

I was pretty much exactly where you are when I first brought Sam home :) you're really doing amazingly with Java, you really are. He's a very very lucky bird to have someone who cares about him so much.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I've played with toys in front of him, and he watches,
That is all you should ask for. He watches, he is interested in what you are doing. That is great so continue doing that.
And don't offer the toy to him as long as he's not begging badly for them.
you're really doing amazingly with Java, you really are. He's a very very lucky bird to have someone who cares about him so much.
I agree. :)
So Brittany, stop worrying and it will be fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.