• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just trying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
For the past 3 days I've been trying something new with Boomer, every morning, this is when he most wants his toast or brown rice, yet only from my hand, I first move his cage right beside my computer, then I open the bottom door. There is a perch right beside the door, he usually just sits on this perch and sometimes he comes to the bottom of the cage and stands in front of the open door and watches me. The first day I tried this he actually touched my hand with his beak, a tiny bite, no pain in the bite at all, and he would put one foot out of the cage, then bring it back in....it was very cute and funny. And when he did nibble me, I did not move my hand, no jerk...nothing. But it's totally clear, he is scared to come out of his cage, this is something it seems he has never been allowed to do.
Right now he's screaming at Jeter, my oldest chihuahua, as chihuahua's do...he is in his blanket, in one of the recliners. Boomer wants him out! Boomer does the dog whistle to get him out of the blanket, then Jeter realizes it's just that crazy bird, and he goes back in the blanket. So, Boomer starts all over, but Jeter won't fall for the trick more than maybe twice. :hehe:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am glad that things are starting to improve thanks for sharing

leftie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michelle
You are right--he clearly feels safest in the cage. That interaction with your chihuahua is hilarious!

Our 'tiel was also very "cage bound" when we got him. It took awhile but he is very comfortable going in and out of it now. It's amazing how much progress you have made with him from his abusive earlier life.

Congrats!!:dance5:

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
He whistles for the dogs! That is soooo cute. :) You might want to attach a perch to the inside of the cage doors. I have one like this: Grooming Perch. It can be any sort of perch, just short enough to not interfere with the door. It might help because he'd be familiar with it inside the cage but when the door opens it'll be on the outside, that way he'd have something that feels safer to him. Might take him a while to get used to it but it might be worth a try.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
LOL! that chihuahua thing sounds familiar!!

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Okay, Boomer got very brave. He came out, climbed to the top of his cage, was walking around like he was the king of it all. He was picking at his toys from the outside and it seemed to tickle his fancy. This lasted for about 15 minutes, I was sitting very calmly at my computer and talking to him, he was enjoying himself. I'd just bought a large rope swing and I'd hung in off the dinning room light, at some point in time we are hoping to make him a play area and use this swing in it somehow. But for some reason, Boomer decided to fly, circling the living room, circling the dinning room, and just like the day we switched cages, it's like he can find no where else to land but the floor.:huh: Not even returning to the top of his cage and it seems to kind of freak him out a bit. During this time, the dogs remained calm, sitting in their chairs just watching him, I kept tapping the cage calmly saying, "here Boo, here Boo", but on the floor he went. I had a large dowel sitting with me at my computer, when he landed I looked at the dogs and said, "stay", they did, I picked up the dowel, walked over to him very calm, and said, "step up Boo, step up" he did. I walked back over the cage, I talked to him for a little while, in a very calm voice, telling him it was okay. He didn't seem scared at all, maybe confused and tired. I gently put the dowel into his cage, resting one end on one of his perches, thinking he would go to it, but he didn't, he just stayed on the dowel for a while. Then he leaned in toward his biggest perch, so I moved the dowel over to it and he climbed on. Now he's just doing that grinding noise and kind of taking a nap. Did I do everything okay?:huh:
Renee, that kind of perch is what I do need in front of at least one of his doors, there are two on this cage. Ever since I've started bringing him close to me when I'm sitting here, he seems to love it. He gets as close to me and the open door as he feels safe to. We talk while I'm typing and he's always watching my hands. I also will eat my little lunch, today tuna and crackers, he had to have whatever I was eating, I made sure I had whole wheat crackers for him, he seems to like them...I'm glad cause I sure don't like them, very bland. Now he has moved back down to the bottom perch right next to me, he's looking at the door. I've shut it. LOL Maybe he wants another go at it. :hehe:

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
I'm starting to wonder if the flying amuk and not landing is a cockatiel thing. Jack is clipped because he's a danger to himself and won't be handled when he's flying. Sam is currently flighted but she's not getting the hang of landing either. Hopefully someone else will come along with ideas about that, my budgies didn't have these sorts of problems.

I think you handled everything fine. I would be very, very careful about the dogs. I know your dogs are trained wonderfully but I've read posts from people who haven't had any problems for years with their birds and other pets and one day something happens and a bird is injured or killed. One person said they were right there and couldn't do anything because it happened so fast. It would be safest to not have the dogs in the room when Boomers cage is opened, at least for now. I almost lost Albus because he jumped away unexpectedly and Ginny move much faster that I anticipated. It was a moment of heart stopping terror. You know your dogs best, I just wanted to bring that up.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The reason he landed on the floor is because he does not know his way around yet. It takes practice to know the lay of the land.

I would suggest you provide some "landing stations" that be easy for him to land on besides just his cage. The cage was a take off point. He needs a target to focus on before he takes off so he has a clear destination to go to. In time once he gets better at navigating he will land other places. Observe how he flies and where a natural landing spot would most likely be and put those landing stations there. I would also take him to those stations so that he will become familiar with them and know what they are. Make sure those landing stations are sturdy and don't swing or move when he does land on them. JMO

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
That amuck flying made me wonder if he has ever been allowed out of cage even before the people I got him from. But John, you are probably right. I've told my husband I want to build him an outside the cage station, hubby thinks I've lost my mind of course, but I showed him some I've seen on here, with pvc pipe. I can't figure out what has been wrapped around the pipe though, it looks like ace bandages?

Renee, I do understand your concern for Boo where the dogs are concerned, it does kind of worry me too. It worries my hubby also. Chihuahuas are very strange little dogs, they consider people and other pets in the home as theirs, it becomes their job to protect. These dogs did this before Boo came along, we had cats, they protected those cats like you would not believe, any other dogs or cats that came close to our cats would be met with these tiny warriors, rather funny. In fact, soon after some new neighbors moved in next door, our little female chi chased their chow all the way back to his front door because he was chasing our cat. The owners of that chow stood on their porch laughing, it did look funny. Our cats all lived a very long life, the last one was put to sleep this past spring, she was 17 years old. The only thing I could do with them is to lock them outside or in our bedroom, either would cause them to cry, bark and scratch...plus I'm afraid they would come to see Boo as a threat to their relationship with us. I think I will take it a little slower with Boomer for a while, rethink what I can do to help him.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
the pipe is wrapped with vet wrap :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I want to commend you for how careful and patient you are being in helping Boomer build trust in you and in his surroundings.:laughing12: You're getting lots of good help and suggestions as well.:D

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Thank you Marie and Cynthia. Vet wrap, I will have to look for that for sure.

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
For two days I didn't let Boo out of his cage, and you can tell he wants out, he goes to the door and hollers at me.:(
So, on hubby's day off we went and bought pvc pipe, 30 feet of it, lots of elbows and tees, 6 rolls of vet wrap in preparation to make Boo a play area. We just haven't had time to do it yet. In fact, it could be another couple of weeks before we can get to it. And even after this is made, I plan to just set it right beside Boo's cage for a couple of days, giving him time to get used to it.
So, yesterday, after two days begging to be let out of his cage, after hubby went to lay down, because he is on nights for the next 3 nights, both dogs go to bed with him, I put Boo's cage next to me, by the computer, open the bottom door and it didn't take long for him to be out and next to my hand. No touching allowed, of course. Then he climbs to the top of the cage and again, he's king of the hill. He flew several times and always came back to his cage, not on the floor. So, that is one hurdle we jumped but now for a brand new one. I started realizing he kept looking down into his cage at his food and water but he couldn't figure out how to get back in and to it. I tried to help, offered him a large dowel to step up, I took a perch and placed it on the outside of the cage hoping it would help him to get back on the side of the cage so he could climb back in. Nothing I did seemed to help him, or he is just stubborn. This went on for about 2 hours, I have to admit, I was at the end of my rope, at this point in time I'd tried a rope perch, his ladder that was inside his cage and even another perch. So, I thought I'd try pushing the cage back to where it normally sits, it's only about 4 feet, once I do this he climbs down the side of the cage, takes off and very simply turned and flew straight into the top door. Little show off!:woot2:
Now, he is begging to be let out again, but I'm not ready. I have to find a way for him to return easier. I gave him a little taste of freedom from prison and he likes it. I've created a monster!:hehe:
I have to shop around and find something that will help him and today I just don't have time to let him out and keep my eye on him. I have to make about 6 dozen cookies for hubby to take to work with him.

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Boomer tried to help me make cookies, in his own way, I found out he thinks Rice Krispies are manna from heaven. Ended up with 8 dozen cookies, I think I will try some bird bread next. Maybe he'll like that.:)

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Sue, I'm lovin' the stories about you and Boomer. From the first one when you saw him and rescued him, they are all so sweet.

John's suggestion about the landing areas are great (I took that suggestion from him with my new flier). I'm glad Boomer is learning to maneuver and get where he wants to be but I do think he'll love the option of a play area away from his cage to fly to. (don't forget to take pictures of the build project, I can learn from it)

As far as the dogs go, it is a rough one. We have two dogs and they were here first. They show no interest in the birds (except food thrown out of cages) and I know they can turn but we have chosen to take the risk and live in harmony. (even though the cat also shows no interest she gets locked up because unfortunately Pearl won't leave her alone and I'm worried she will get fed up) We are going on 2 years without any issues but I'm full aware of the tragedy that can take place. My dogs cuddle with the cat and we also have a bunny we let run around the house occasionally. My daughter will also hold her hamster without the dogs caring a bit. Just my two-bits on the dog issue. I do believe it is a dog by dog situation and you are the only one that can decide that one.

PS keep those stories coming!

Last edited:

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Thank you Janie, I'd forgotten all about our pear tree outside, it sits outside of our back yard, I'm the only one that eats pears so mostly the tree serves deer, raccoons, and wild birds. I decided I'd go and see if I could grab a couple, maybe Boomer would like to eat a pear with me. Well, he tasted, and tasted and tasted, I'm not sure if he made up his mind if he likes them or not.

I plan to have his play area away from his cage, but I just thought in order for him to get used to it, he would have to eye it for a while. I'm thinking about putting it across the room, maybe moving some furniture around a bit. But as soon as we get it built I will post some pics.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Ah sounds like Boomer has the control in the situation lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.