• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just ordered three harnesses

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
No problem with using a size up, both Taz and I are using larger sizes for the purpose of getting them used to the feel then when all is good there, revert back to the smaller/correct fitting size to be able to then start with the real training. :)

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
My question is actually can I use the bigger size without going back to the smaller? The CAG and Coffin look almost same size and to be honest the harness don't look big on Goofy.
By the way any one of you tried the flight line? I'm thinking to use it after the bird are trained with the harness. I wish to take them to the desert and train them in free flying.
I think this will be a great exercise for them and also hope they will get good amount of natural sun light.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Ah sorry, misunderstood....I guess that would depend on how well it fits when on, it would be literally up to you to judge. If your FID can get free then not recommended, but if it seems snug and all ok, then I guess no problem. I haven't had experience myself, so will see if someone else can chime in on this......

I will eventually get the flight line as I want to do the same as you, practice for eventually and hopefully getting them to free fly. :)

Taz93

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Well I too was actually planning on using the bigger one as the main, but as JAM said it depends on how well it fits the bird when fully adjusted to the body, if its loose around any part id probably go back to the smaller size but if it fits perfectly then id continue to use the bigger one. Unfortunatly were not gonna find out the answer until they are comfortable enough to have the whole thing on which for me is gonna take a while :rolleyes:

Thanks maimaie for the suggestion however he wants nothing at all except to either get out of the harness or eat treats lol, ive tried giving him scritches but that don't work haha, im not worried, I know he will get around it.

Last edited:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
OK, time for an update here, I managed to get the beady one in the harness for a few minutes. The getting on wasn't really the hard bit, it was the realisation that she had something on and under her wings that really got to her and getting it off was wayyyyyy more traumatic!
She gnawed away at my fingers pulling bits of skin up and eventually the little nips did bleed which is the first time she's really drawn blood from me.
She was half stressed (her little body heated up) and also half wanting to play because she was making the little excited noises she does when she plays. I think she was really confused as to whether or not it was supposed to be play time.
I'd quickly mixed up some of the bottlebrush loritreat which she was delighted to enjoy once the harness was off.
I did a quick test to see if she was still ok with the harness when it was off by gently running it against her and she didn't flinch or seem too stressed over it.

None of the others have had any progress with the harness, our youngest Millow who we thought would take to it the best is horrified when it is around. Blue we knew we would have problems with so she may never be harnessable. Red we knew would be very slow progress, but he is going better than we thought. I didn't expect M-Star at all to be as accepting as she has been and it's a credit to our relationship as to how she went yesterday. :)

Attachments