• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just ordered three harnesses

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can't wait for them to arrive and try one! :laughing12:

Petite in black for the bead/rat (M-Star).
X-small in black for Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue bird.
X-small in red for Big Fat (Red)

Hopefully coaxing them to wear them doesn't prove to be a nightmare and I can get them out and about as soon as possible to take them for walks/flies. :dance5:

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Make sure to watch the awful, cheesy DVD that comes with them (assuming you bought Aviators)! As boring as it is, the method they use is your only hope of getting an older bird to do anything but freak out when you introduce a harness. :D

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes, I bought the Aviators and noticed that an instructional DVD is included - the seller also advise me to watch it carefully and let him know how I go with them. :D

Mare

Hit the Road
We bought the Aviator for our Sassy Goffin's and even tried Shanlung's design without any luck. She would not ALLOW this. Amigo didn't mind straps wrapped around him, at all! Go figure!

I hope you have better luck!

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am going to start preparing them with some rope and just start introducing them to feeling it against different parts of their body. They love banksia nectar lori treat (thx Chels!!!) so I will be using that to reward them positively when they don't react fearfully.

Knowing our FIDs they will want to roll over and wrestle with it!!!

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So the X-smalls arrived which are Red and Blue's.

I have bought the petite in red for M-Star and I was hoping to get hers first, but c'est la vie. So, I tried to introduce M-Star to Red's harness slowly, I was playing with it whilst she was on my shoulder and I slowly brought it up to her so she could beak it. Well, she gave me the widest, beadiest eyed look and backed over my shoulder giving me the "WTF is that mommy?????" and threatened to fly away. :rolleyes:
Same reaction from Blue......
Red was a bit more bold and decided it looked good for a chew. He didn't mind me gently stroking his feathers with it and nearly looped his head in himself - except he opened his beak last minute and went on a chewing spree. :D
Millow looked at it as if it was a FID eating monster too and bounced away from it.

Let's see what day 2 brings!

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am preparing myself for it tonight, last night was a quick intro to the material as I had to rush out to training so didn't have too much time with them.

I'll be providing myself with crackers to cope with the cheesiness. :D

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Lol, I think it's just the fact that he uses a stuffed bird instead of a real one half the time. And then when he does put it on a live bird, it's one that's clearly been harness trained already. Not super helpful to a newbie. But let me know what you think and keep us updated on the fids' progress! Are you hoping to eventually take them flying, or just to hang out outside?

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I certainly will do. :D

First is going to see if I can harness train them, then see how they react to being outside and going on ventures. If all goes well then I will get the longer leash for the Aviator harness with the approach to doing recall training and eventually my hope is to look at doing a bit of free flight, but that all depends on the first few steps. :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I certainly will do. :D

First is going to see if I can harness train them, then see how they react to being outside and going on ventures. If all goes well then I will get the longer leash for the Aviator harness with the approach to doing recall training and eventually my hope is to look at doing a bit of free flight, but that all depends on the first few steps. :)
I will be watching your progress with great anticipation. It seems an un reachable goal to get mine to recall.....but maybe someday?

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Even if it takes me years or if it never happens I don't mind, I'll let the FIDs dictate the pace to me. :)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Even if it takes me years or if it never happens I don't mind, I'll let the FIDs dictate the pace to me. :)
That surely is the route to success. The idea that a bird comes back to you, on its own, instead of flying away, seems the highest form of bond one could have with their bird. :heart:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
M-Star is sitting with me at the moment and is occasionally licking the harness which is wrapped around my hand. It can be a certain distance but she has to come to it not me bring it to her otherwise it turns into a freaky FID eating monster. She is more interested in trying to stop me typing on the phone. LOL :)

Sauly

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jonathan
Do you guys mind if I chime in with Jam on this thread. My petite harness got here 3 days ago. Tequila doesn't seem to be bothered by it. He flings it around like its a toy. First day I put it on the bannister and he kept eying it. Second day I played with it and curiosity got the best of him. Third day, he climbed down my knee and was playing with it. We will see how today goes. The video is cheesy cheesy and the guy in the video weirds me out a bit. I can't see how that little head part will fit over Tequilas's head ! He hovers around 67/68 grams .

Sauly
Canada

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
No problem Sauly, good to know someone else is at early stage like us. :)

Millow now nibbles it but is still cautious of it, Blue need to work on her being touched around her wings before we go more with the harness, she was nipping a little so stopped anything more with her. Red is going strong, we actually got the harness over him and probably could have pushed him to get the head part through but decided to stop on a positive combined with another chew. :D

Sauly

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jonathan
No problem Sauly, good to know someone else is at early stage like us. :)

Millow now nibbles it but is still cautious of it, Blue need to work on her being touched around her wings before we go more with the harness, she was nipping a little so stopped anything more with her. Red is going strong, we actually got the harness over him and probably could have pushed him to get the head part through but decided to stop on a positive combined with another chew. :D
Thanks Jam :)

steady she goes......I am doing the 1,2,3 count with the wings....i get a nip from time to time....very interesting that once the 1,2,3 count begins, Tequila sits still and waits for the count. I am working with his head and eyes and making the motion starting from the tip of his beak with my index finger and thumb and running the motion over his eyes and head and down to the neck. He seems to think its a lucky scritch and seems to be fine with it. I am committed to this and will not except failure *so I keep telling myself*.....sounds like Red is off to the races!

stay tuned..

Sauly

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I also just recently ordered Pinky my galah/corella hybrid a medium blue aviator. I can't wait to get it and try it on him!

Good luck getting your fabies used to it!

:hug8: