• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just got a baby sun conure! Tips?

Danny Tran

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Danny tran
Hey everyone, I’m new to this forum and I just got a baby sun conure! He is adorable and I was wondering if there is any tips and tricks I should know, and once he’s a little older is there a way to housetrain him? The breeder I got him from recommended that I clip his feathers when he’s bit older but I want him to be able to fly around the house and possibly potty train him and have him fly to the poop perch himself, do you guys think that is possible and how would I achieve that?

Attachments

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How old is that baby, looks mighty young, is he weaned

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you know how to hand feed, if not, talk to the breeder, he sold you an unweaned baby, they don't wean before 8 weeks

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Let the other questions wait until you get this straightened out.

Danny Tran

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Danny tran
Do you know how to hand feed, if not, talk to the breeder, he sold you an unweaned baby, they don't wean before 8 weeks
Lol I know what he sold me, I have experience with an African grey and common myna. I can handfeed and very well take care of it, I was only asking because this is my first conure

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
What an adorable baby!! :swoon:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Great, the next thing is to buy a set of earplugs. :giggle: These guys are loud, ask Valentine. Seriously, put off training till this baby is weaned the bonding will be so strong between you two, training will be great and easy.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Cute baby. Great that you have hand feeding experience. Potty training is not always a good idea because the bird will learn to hold their droppings until they are able to access the place where they are allowed to go potty. There are many people (such as avian vets) who do not believe in it and think it can be more harmful than helpful. Have you named him/her yet?

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You know to keep baby warm then. Such a young baby to be taken away from parents.