• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just getting to know each other or fighting?

Shelbs

Moving in
Hi All, we introduced a second bird to our home about one month and a half ago. We have kept her (Pearl) separated from our existing bird (Galleon) and have slowly started to introduce them. They seem 100% fine with each other until Pearl gets too close to Galleon. They can sit on opposite ends of the same perch and preen or even take naps. When pearl does get up close to Galleon, she usually snuggles up and he sometimes will preen her. The second she moves or makes a noise he freaks out and attacks her. Basically, neither of them will seek each other out, but Galleon will act of pearl is close enough. When they do get into it, Pearl will scream loudly and Galleon normally gets puffed up. It only lasts a second and I separate them immediately. Is this just a normal part of getting to know each other or should I keep them separated?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi
Sorry I may have missed it but what birds do you have ?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Wardy or @webchirp will be able to help

do they share a cage ?

if tail is fanned out then that’s not friendly remi fans his tail out and makes a very grumpy sound also grumble noise

if pearl screaming then it doesn’t sound like she happy either

I can’t remember who posted a video of her two conures I will see if I can find it to see their body language

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I’ve tagged you in @Leih post

Shelbs

Moving in

do they share a cage ?

if tail is fanned out then that’s not friendly remi fans his tail out and makes a very grumpy sound also grumble noise

I can’t remember who posted a video of her two conures I will see if I can find it to see their body language
Thank you!
they do not share a cage. SometimesGalleon fans his tail out and sometimes he does not.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
They are getting to know each other. It can take a lot of time but sounds like you are on a good path. Keep separating so their interactions stay positive.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
If they preen each other and sit together, it probably normal squabble.
My GCC girls would do sometimes. They shared a cage, but sometimes they needed their own cages and I would have to split them up. Sometimes for a week or so sometimes for a month or so .

GCC can really hurt each other, so do keep an eye on it

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

do they share a cage ?

Mine definitely play rough but I watch and if I see a flared tail or puffy face or excessive grumbling from my male, I clap my hands to break them up. If it gets to be excessive I put my female in her cage for awhile.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
OP, this sounds pretty normal. I also let my resident bird sit at the new birds cage while new bird is inside so they can interact without the fear of one invading the others space.(watch for the toes!) I wasn't sure my resident bird would allow preening from the new bird but he does! Resident bird just needs a little time to adjust. Getting another bird has been great for my conure, but it's been about five months and he's still adjusting, but they're doing great.