• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Joy (Pi) has to be converted to a low-fat diet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Molotov

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ariel
Joy my Pionus went in for a check up today. Her fat count was a little up, and to be on the safe side, the vet recommended switching her to a low fat diet. Her diet now is excellent, even the vet said that. The only fatty things in it are the occasional pumpkin seed as a treat, and a few kernels of corn in the morning. The Dr. said that it may just be that those levels are normal for her.

She eats: Kathy's bountiful harvest mix, Zupreem fruit pellets, and fresh foods in the morning.

I looked around on MSBS and theres a lot of low fat options... Does anyone have any suggestions about what they feed their birds in need of a low fat diet? I'll have my vet approve my choices, of course.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
My guys got mostly veggies and sprouted seeds/grains. Their dry mix was dehydrated veggies and some dehydrated fruit. Some dry organic veggie pasta, healthy cereal with low sugar/salt. For pellets I used TOPs and a small amount of Harrisons and some totally organics seeds. My guys only got one or two nuts a day. I fed them 2 tbls of fresh food and 1-1 1/2 tbls of dry food. They also foraged for a lot of their food which got them some excercise.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Consider adding sprouts. If you give any nuts you may want to lower the amount. Otherwise good going and glad the two of you are doing well.

Katster

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like the fact that you got this from the start ;)

I don't have much suggestions but we feed Dante Harrison's pallets as his main meal, then fruits and veggies here and there.

I would remove the small amount of treat seeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Roudybush has a low fat pellet .. I've never had to use it though. I fear that seeing your Pi is on the fruit loops .. it could be a really tough conversion, those things can be like crack to birds.

I love Kathie's BH .. but might cut back on that a bit as it has a lot of "treat" type stuff in it. Definitely start cutting back on all types of seed/nuts .. they're a huge culprit when it comes to fat.

Miss Molotov

Real Name
Ariel
The corn and pumpkin seeds are now completely out of her diet. I'd rather not risk anything! We had tried Roudybush in the past and no one in my flock ate it-- I tried for 2 months too. I was looking at TOPS and some of the Goldenfeast mixes. My smaller birds get Harrisons, so I was working on converting the poi's and Joy over too. Joy is not a picky eater, but she is a chronic layer, so she gets supplements and we are of course trying to stop her egg laying. Foraging is always a part of her feeding times, and will continue to be. She only receives almonds as a treat, and the vet said those were fine to keep. Joy doesn't like sprouts, only my finches do. The rest of my birds throw them on the floor. :(

To those that feed TOPS- how did your birds like them, in comparison to other brands of pellets?

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think you should go to a nearly 0% fat diet. Consider that maybe she's getting too much protein. Less beans, grains and pellets, more fresh veg and sprouts. JMO.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Goldenfeast garden flora has 1/2 the fat of roudy bush or top pellets. I don't know how it compares to zupreem. Most pellets have sunflowers or safflower high in their ingredient list.

Miss Molotov

Real Name
Ariel
I don't think you should go to a nearly 0% fat diet. Consider that maybe she's getting too much protein. Less beans, grains and pellets, more fresh veg and sprouts. JMO.
The tests said her protein levels were perfect. I double checked. :) Also, since she is a chronic layer, her fat levels will be up a little anyway... but our vet want to be proactive.

Miss Molotov

Real Name
Ariel
Goldenfeast garden flora has 1/2 the fat of roudy bush or top pellets. I don't know how it compares to zupreem. Most pellets have sunflowers or safflower high in their ingredient list.
Awesome! I had garden flora in my shopping cart! :dance5:

Status
Not open for further replies.