• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jordan, A.K.A little picky eater

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Yesterday I gave some pumpkin to my flock, Jordan was the first to let me know how she felt about that pumpkin. She took one little nibble, then she threw it across her cage and started fighting it. I took that as a sign that she didn't like it, and I removed it from her cage. Lucky saw Jordan fight the pumpkin, and decided that s/he will also fight the pumpkin, then Lucky saw Elvis and Opal eating the pumpkin, and decided to eat the pumpkin. I am going to guess that Jordan didn't like the pumpkin. I had her and Opal in the same cage after wards, to see if Jordan would eat it if she saw another bird eating it. Gave Opal a piece of pumpkin, and Jordan started going crazy, took Opal's pumpkin, and started fighting it, Opal then started screaming, and chasing Jordan, as if she wanted the pumpkin back. I then removed Opal and the pumpkin from the cage. I gave Jordan her pellets, and she ate them, I added small bits of pumpkin to her pellets, she picked out every single last piece, threw them out of the cage, and ate her pellets. This really isn't going the way I had hoped, and I have wasted pumpkin on her. all my attempts to get her to like pumpkin have failed, no more pumpkin for Jordan.

This isn't the first time she has denied a certain food. She has done the same with raspberries, blueberries, and other foods. Although, if I am eating them, they taste better and she'll steal and eat them. I however don't eat pumpkin, unless it is in pie form, or bread, and they can't eat those things, so pumpkin is off the menu for Jordan.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This sounds so typical! :laughin: I'm sorry to hear that Jordan is giving you such a hard time over certain foods, but this experience sounds quite familiar!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara also lets me know when she doesn't like things by either throwing them or dumping the food dish.
Except carrots, which she does like but she nibbles them a bit and then decides she has had enough and tosses them on the floor too. But they're always interesting if I eat them (I eat massive amounts of baby carrots when I'm sitting at the computer and she likes to watch)

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
While I was reading this I was feeling your pain and laughter at the same time! :rofl::hehe:. I just imagine how frustrating it must be for them to not be able to communicate with us. What a super smart birdie to be able to say "YUCK! I HATE PUMPKINS!" and show you?

I thought one of mine, Diablo (parrotlet) hated strawberries because when we first got him he wouldn't eat if I was in the room but when I walked in, it looked like a massacre! However, I would give 1 in Tito's cage (lovebird) who loves the tops and I found Diablo in there picking out the seeds and flicking the fruit bits all over! "Hmfp!" LOL. Now, I let him do it outside when he is getting sunshine so he can mess it up out there!

Whatever works! We love them so much! :chickenswinger:

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I thought one of mine, Diablo (parrotlet) hated strawberries because when we first got him he wouldn't eat if I was in the room but when I walked in, it looked like a massacre! However, I would give 1 in Tito's cage (lovebird) who loves the tops and I found Diablo in there picking out the seeds and flicking the fruit bits all over! "Hmfp!" LOL. Now, I let him do it outside when he is getting sunshine so he can mess it up out there!

Whatever works! We love them so much! :chickenswinger:

That must be quite the mess! :hehe: