• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jenday Hates GCC

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
My Jenday has decided that she hates my GCC. Last week while she was out of her cage she flew over to his cage attacked him thru his cage and damaged his beak to the point it was bleeding. This is new behavior for her, I kept her fully flighted because I never had to worry about this sort of thing before.

Long story short, they both ended up at the vet after this incident. The Jenday for a wing trim and GCC for antibiotics. The Vet said the GCC got lucky but I will have to keep an eye on his beak for anymore future damage.

Maybe because it's spring, but my Jenday is having a lot of behavior issues lately, all directed toward the GCC. she no longer enjoys herself out of the cage because she is screaming constantly and mumbling to herself like a crazy bird, the whole time she is looking wildly over at the GCC. The GCC has never done anything to warrant this kind of behavior from her.

The vet told me to put them in separate rooms so the Jenday can't see him, however that would be placing her out of the main room where all the activity is and she would be isolated. Blocking off the sight of each other wouldn't work either since the Jenday and the Sunday spend most days outside of the cage.

I'm going to purchase the parrot wizards guide to well behaved birds but in the mean time does anyone have any suggestions?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unfortunately, not all birds get along and it seems you'll have to do separate out of cage times for them.

@webchirp has multiple conures and has a setup designed specifically for birds that don't particularly get along.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Patio netting is your friend. Everyone can be out at the same time (with supervision). It is the easiest thing in the world to put up. You can use pvc and and pvc flange screwed to the wall at the top of the ceiling. Just cut your pvc to size and slide the pole between the flanges, drape the patio netting over the pole and you have a room divider. If you want something a little more decorative, use a ceiling mounted curtain rod instead of the pvc. There have been times I have had to do three divisions...

Attachments

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
Nice set up! How many birds do you have?

I never have the little birds out with the Sun and Jenday, the Jenday got a hold of him thru his cage and seemed to be trying to pull his beak off. She won't be able to get to the GCC anymore since she is no longer able to fly over and attack him.

It's just that it seems to really bother her that she can see him, the screaming and mumbling to herself is non stop. She has plenty of toys and she spends her days out of the cage with her Sun conure friend. I am thinking that she thinks the GCC is going to steal her Sun conure buddy away from her and that's where this behavior is coming from. Since its spring she has been going on rampage with this.

I don't want to isolate one to another room, that doesn't seem fair and they won't get the interaction that they need. I just don't know what to do!

Will she calm down when it's no longer spring time?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's not always a reason why they don't like each other. Target can't tolerate the sight of Josie. Best you can do is keep them separate.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have 10 and 1 foster (conures) and two canaries.

I have rarely had luck with them going back to being friends. I was able to have the net open for a few weeks a couple of months ago but Zia and Rocco got into it and it seemed to stir everything up again with Zephyr. Birds can and have removed beaks while fighting. Can she walk over and attack him would be the concern with the wing clip. I personally wouldn't chance it. If anyone is out of their cage, the net is closed. Happy was behind net number three for several months but he was mad because Zephyr kept instigating trouble. It fluctuates on who gets along at any given time and I am always up and down rescuing, scolding or moving someone. Zia goes for eyes when she fights so I don't let them squabble much if at all.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
No, she can't walk over to him but I'm going to have to be vigilant from now on about keeping her wings clipped.

It sounds like you have your hands full! I guess I should be happy that so far it's just the two of them going at it, Actually it's just the Jenday with this intense hatred toward the GCC. My poor GCC was so traumatized and shook up by this incident that he was shaking while I held him. For several days afterward every time the Jenday would scream he would visibly shake. I felt so bad and still do. It happened in what seemed like a split second!

I hope there isn't any permanent long term damage to the GCCs beak, the vet said to watch for flaking or something like that and bring him in if he's having any problems with it. Poor little thing.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Patio netting is your friend. Everyone can be out at the same time (with supervision). It is the easiest thing in the world to put up. You can use pvc and and pvc flange screwed to the wall at the top of the ceiling. Just cut your pvc to size and slide the pole between the flanges, drape the patio netting over the pole and you have a room divider. If you want something a little more decorative, use a ceiling mounted curtain rod instead of the pvc. There have been times I have had to do three divisions...
What kind of patio netting do you use? I'm trying to decide which roll to go with - the regular or pet specific. This bird room is half of an A frame and is causing me so much frustration trying to figure out how best to separate it.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Following...very interesting in the patio netting. Applebutter...I have two macaws that were raised together and now can't stand each other-just the way it goes..happens in humans, happens w/ animals too-so its our job to keep them safe-good luck.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What kind of patio netting do you use? I'm trying to decide which roll to go with - the regular or pet specific. This bird room is half of an A frame and is causing me so much frustration trying to figure out how best to separate it.
You could do this: Deck Insect Screens | Deck Privacy Screens

but I bought the canopy screen kit for $59 from the local home improvement store and cut it up. Here is the same one online Canopy Screen Kit 10' x 20':ShelterLogic

Black Noseeum Mosquito Netting Fabric - $2.95 | onlinefabricstore.net

Last edited:

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
I had a Meyers who got along well with all my other birds, until his hormones kicked in. After that he got very aggressive, and took off a couple of toe nails from two birds. When he started attacking me as well, I rehomed him. He did very well in his new home.