• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jenday Conure screams for attn all the time: will 2nd conure help?

Therese Umholtz

Checking out the neighborhood
I've got a six-year old Jenday Conure, we've had her for two years. She screams for attention all the time. The only time she's quiet is when she's in physical contact with a human.

I work from home and am on the telephone a lot and it's becoming a terrible problem. I have a friend with a baby Green-Cheeked Conure for sale and I am wondering if my Jenday might calm down with avian company, or if she's more likely to kill the other bird (lol-of course I wouldn't put them in the same cage at first, but that would eventually be the plan).

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Due to the fact they are different species' them getting along well enough to live in the same cage would be the exception, not the rule. And it could make them louder, not quieter. What all have you tried to help with her screaming?

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
It also isn't a good idea to have any two birds in the same cage in general; moreso with larger birds than smaller ones (like budgies).

Graeme

Strolling the yard

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's no predictability what might happen when you get another bird. You could wind up with 2X the screaming and two birds that don't get along with one another. Best to try to work on reducing that screaming as per the suggestion in a previous post. When you are not home or out of the room you may want to leave the radio (a mellow station) or the TV on. Sometimes that helps and sometimes it doesn't. :) It's best to try to ignore the screaming. It's a hard thing to do but if you attend to it by scolding or talking to your bird when it's screaming you are giving it attention and reinforcing that behavior.

Thatdude596

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ryan
Long story short I high doubt it. Getting two is 2x the work and noise. Fix the issues with the one you have

Therese Umholtz

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for your suggestions! I will work with my Jenday and try to train her more effectively.

Graeme

Strolling the yard
I'm glad you have decided to train your bird :)

To start with it may seem like it will never work, but just hang in there and keep at it. You may be surprised at just how easily your bird responds.

All the best