• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jake's New Beginning Starts Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
For those that have been following Jake's story, I'm hoping tomorrow will be the last day that Jake is fed processed commercial dog food.

On the advice of our behaviorist, we consulted with a Canine Nutritionist and she completed it today. She is recommending a homemade cooked diet, which will include the following things:

• Cooked pork loin
  • Cooked Beef stew meat
  • Cooked Beef Kidney
  • Cooked Beef Liver
  • Cheddar Cheese
  • Baked or Steamed Potatoes
  • Millet
  • Kale
  • Canned plain pumpkin
  • Nonfat plain yogurt
  • Unrefined virgin coconut oil
  • Grapeseed oil
  • 6 different supplements

I will keep everyone up to date on Jake's progress.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
All I will say is that one of my best clients is working with Cat Lane on her dog's diets. I always suspected that many of his behavior issues were caused by his allergies, but now we really know this to be the case. Since starting on his custom made homemade diet, he is like a different dog. The change literally happened just a couple of days after starting the diet. Allergies and gut issues cause more problems than we realize and are the cause or a contributing factor to many behavior problems. If you don't feel good, you aren't your best, dogs are no different.

For those that have been following Jake's story, I'm hoping tomorrow will be the last day that Jake is fed processed commercial dog food.

On the advice of our behaviorist, we consulted with a Canine Nutritionist and she completed it today. She is recommending a homemade cooked diet, which will include the following things:

• Cooked pork loin
  • Cooked Beef stew meat
  • Cooked Beef Kidney
  • Cooked Beef Liver
  • Cheddar Cheese
  • Baked or Steamed Potatoes
  • Millet
  • Kale
  • Canned plain pumpkin
  • Nonfat plain yogurt
  • Unrefined virgin coconut oil
  • Grapeseed oil
  • 6 different supplements

I will keep everyone up to date on Jake's progress.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I wonder if I should do that with Ellie?
She is starting to look so Ren or Stimpyish.
Her coat is thin, and dull, she is itching a lot this week and her ears are patchy. We took her to the vet for the ears but he didn't think it was a big deal, he gave us meds for us to go use and pick up if we wanted to. She also has a sensitive stomach.
Izzy has a nice shiny coat.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Thanks Vicki. I'm glad to hear something positive. We are pretty confident the dry kibble Jake is on is causing a multitude of problems. If we feed Jake his full meal in one sitting, within 1 hour he literally goes crazy - get's the zoomies (zooms all over the house), can't focus, won't listen, etc. He has his digestive and allergy issues as well.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I can't help but think this is going to help him. I will be keeping a log of differences we notice, taking pictures tomorrow, weighing/measuring him weekly.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
The zoomies :hehe:

Oh, I know the zoomies :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: We need to hold on to the wall when it happens in our house!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Oh yeah, I think you will see a change for the better. There has been some studies that showed a very high protein diet to contribute to aggression in some dogs as well. I hope that you see positive changes with your Jake. My client's dog actually didn't even want to be touched he was so uncomfortable and because he is very attached to her, not being able to touch created conflict and just general yuckiness. He is on a new diet, we also did an emotional detox with him and he is doing great.

Thanks Vicki. I'm glad to hear something positive. We are pretty confident the dry kibble Jake is on is causing a multitude of problems. If we feed Jake his full meal in one sitting, within 1 hour he literally goes crazy - get's the zoomies (zooms all over the house), can't focus, won't listen, etc. He has his digestive and allergy issues as well.

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I can't help but think this is going to help him. I will be keeping a log of differences we notice, taking pictures tomorrow, weighing/measuring him weekly.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
This sounds very interesting and I can't wait for an update on this. I will be happy for you guys if you can get the results that you are looking for. I have my fingers crossed that whole foods will do the trick. :hug8:

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Her coat is thin, and dull, she is itching a lot this week and her ears are patchy. We took her to the vet for the ears but he didn't think it was a big deal, he gave us meds for us to go use and pick up if we wanted to. She also has a sensitive stomach.
Danita, I can't attest to the results yet obviously, but I can certainly pass on her contact info. I don't have it with me on my ipad, so will need to send tomorrow.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Do so hope all this works out for the best for you and will be watching this space with interest.
Luckily for me we do not have any issues with Max on his canned diet and some dried mixed. If it would make life better for him would also change to fresh foods,but as we have now got him onto a regime that suits him would not like to change it for the sake of change if you know what I mean.
We do not give him any treats only the chew before bed,like the four of them all have. This lets him know he does not beg and will not ask for any snacks when we are eating.
Occasionally Max will refuse his first meal of the day and I just put it one side and give it to him later when he then eats it. They are such a different dog to look after to any of the other breeds I have had over the years. Their digestive systems are so dicey at times arent they? Wonder if it is down to the breeding them so finely over the years,it has done this to them? We cannot fool with nature too much as it will come back and bite us!:)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I would for sure.

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Can't wait to hear how it goes with Jake. Hopefully you get some good results!

I tried a similar diet with my Murphy a few years ago and it did not work well with him. Although, I think if he was a smaller dog it would have worked better. I was nearly impossible to get enough calories in him to sustain a 180lb dog.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Can't wait to hear how it goes with Jake. Hopefully you get some good results!

I tried a similar diet with my Murphy a few years ago and it did not work well with him. Although, I think if he was a smaller dog it would have worked better. I was nearly impossible to get enough calories in him to sustain a 180lb dog.
Keri, I couldn't imagine trying to do it for a 180lb dog :eek: With the nutritionist we have worked with, the recipe she gave us is for 7 days. If he is fed the entire recipe plus the supplements it is a balanced diet for a 10 1/2 month of dog. Time will tell I suppose.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I really hope this helps Jake!!

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I have been up since 3am this morning with Jake … he was scratching and whining last night, so I got up with him and gave him Benedryl to help calm the itching.

Instead of going back to bed, I came into work. I can now leave work at noon and go home and have most of the afternoon to make a weeks’ worth of the homemade food and get him started on it tonight.

Let’s just say I’m beyond exhausted at this point. I really really hope this brings him some relief … because I could sure use a bit of a break.

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
I'm really interested to see how this goes too. I've thought that maybe Sally would do better on a homemade diet as well. Shw gets the itchies and zoomies and is very difficult to brush.:confused: Fingers crossed for Jake!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Good luck!!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I just contacted the girls' breeder and asked if there was any other pups or the parents with food/skin sensitivities. Low and behold Ellie's daddy is sensitive to some proteins so he is on a salmon protein diet, Taste of the Wild Salmon and another.
The dad is the same, gets itchy, patchy fur and a dull coat.

Have you contacted Jake's breeder Laura?

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I just contacted the girls' breeder and asked if there was any other pups or the parents with food/skin sensitivities. Low and behold Ellie's daddy is sensitive to some proteins so he is on a salmon protein diet, Taste of the Wild Salmon and another.
The dad is the same, gets itchy, patchy fur and a dull coat.

Have you contacted Jake's breeder Laura?
Yes we have contacted the breeder. No issues with mom or dad.

I am finished making batch one ... Took 2 hours and 45 minutes, but I already thought of some ways to make it quicker.

The worst was baking 10 pounds of potatoes to get 96 oz of cooked potatoes with no skin. Peeling 10 pounds of potatoes was a pain!

I'm waiting until my husband gets home to feed him is first meal.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Yes we have contacted the breeder. No issues with mom or dad.

I am finished making batch one ... Took 2 hours and 45 minutes, but I already thought of some ways to make it quicker.

The worst was baking 10 pounds of potatoes to get 96 oz of cooked potatoes with no skin. Peeling 10 pounds of potatoes was a pain!

I'm waiting until my husband gets home to feed him is first meal.
We no longer have a dog since our Chihuahua passed away of old age 6 years ago.
However, I have to say, Jakes' new diet sounds far superior to the previous diet.
I am very interested to hear how he does with the improved diet!

lzver

Real Name
Laura
We no longer have a dog since our Chihuahua passed away of old age 6 years ago.
However, I have to say, Jakes' new diet sounds far superior to the previous diet.
I am very interested to hear how he does with the improved diet!
Doris, what is the best way to offer the coconut oil? It is in a solid state ... Do I melt it or mix it into his food as is?

Status
Not open for further replies.