• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jade was killed.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Warning that this story is disturbing.

Yesterday morning we found Jade killed. A carpet python had gotten into the duck enclosure. We have been in a heat wave, and just had a serious storm. I was out of power and internet.

My heart aches for Leo. Jade and Leo were inseparable. Luckily Darcy seems to understand that Leo needs encouragement and he has been head bobbing a lot at Leo getting him to preen, visit the pond and eat.

To make matters worse. The snake after trying to swallow Jade, must have decided a duck was too big. The snake rejected the meal and vomited out Jade. I am horrified. I saw his smashed and snake slobered body. It was just traumatic. I don't feel anger that a hungry snake made such efforts to eat Jade. But I am honestly mad that the snake vomited him out, and basically murdered him for no reason.

In my adult life I have never lost a bird to predation. They have a fenced door to their enclosure which I always thought would be to prevent foxes. I regret not realising how little room a snake needs to get in. Yesterday we added aviary mesh to all opening.

My partner buried Jade near our cane palms. It is our first companion to pass away at the new house.
The ducks are also now afraid of their house, so last night it was very difficult to get them in. I ended up needing to chase them around and towel each duck to add them one at a time. I feel like a severally damage trust. I am frustrated with the whole situation. Today my partner is going to move their house to a new location of the property in hope that it helps.

Cali

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Janet
I am so very sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so very sorry for your loss :sorrow: I hope your other ducks settle soon

snakes can fit when they want to in the smallest places so dont blame yourself

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So sorry to hear about your loss of Jade. Hopefully your others settle soon and start to feel safe again.

Might be worth considering making the whole bottom section of their coop solid tin and laying a decent amount of stronger small holed wire on the ground inside as well as keeping overhanging trees away from coop. Snakes are not only able to get through some crazy small gaps but the larger constrictors are extremely strong and can force their way through some pretty sturdy stuff when they really want in.
Many people are still placing bird netting along the ground to stop the brown snakes around my area but I feel this is cruel to the snakes (as well as being illegal as far as I am aware) who are not killing for malice but to survive. It really is a bummer when they come across coops and outdoor pets as they often come back again and again.

You are sadly the second person I have heard about in this last fortnight who has lost bird/s to snakes- the other person lost all their baby birds... there were a lot of them :(

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So sorry to hear about your loss of Jade. Hopefully your others settle soon and start to feel safe again.

Might be worth considering making the whole bottom section of their coop solid tin and laying a decent amount of stronger small holed wire on the ground inside as well as keeping overhanging trees away from coop. Snakes are not only able to get through some crazy small gaps but the larger constrictors are extremely strong and can force their way through some pretty sturdy stuff when they really want in.
Many people are still placing bird netting along the ground to stop the brown snakes around my area but I feel this is cruel to the snakes (as well as being illegal as far as I am aware) who are not killing for malice but to survive. It really is a bummer when they come across coops and outdoor pets as they often come back again and again.

You are sadly the second person I have heard about in this last fortnight who has lost bird/s to snakes- the other person lost all their baby birds... there were a lot of them :(
Their house has an elevated floor. They snake likely enter through the door. :( hopefully this is impossible with out aviary mesh additions.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so very sorry for your loss of Jade and for how traumatic the entire situation is. Sending you all the hugs.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would be just as upset! It's like extra salt in the wound. I'm so very sorry :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh no. I am so very sorry.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:sorrow: so very sorry

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
I'm sorry for your loss. It is difficult to prevent snake break-ins.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear :sadhug2:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So sorry to hear this. I hope the others can start to settle down with the new mesh in place. How traumatic. :(

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I am so sorry for your loss. Finding Jade like that I can't even imagine! :sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss of Jade.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you for the kind words everyone. I appreciate it.

The new location of their house seems to have demystified things a bit. Yesterday I was able to put them in without drama. Leo is doing well considering. There isn't as much chatter in the garden as I think they are mourning, but they are eating, bathings and preening. Self-care is all I ask for at the moment.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss of Jade

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry for your loss of Jade, and I'm so sorry he was killed in such a traumatic way. Much love to you, Leo and the rest of your flock.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a very difficult loss this must be! I'm just so sorry!