• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Jacob's Feather Cheeks are falling Out

chubbun

Moving in
Real Name
Mimi
I have no idea what's going on. My cockatiel named Jacob suddenly has his left cheek feathers falling out to the point where I can see his ear. The eye on that side is closed and looked slightly swollen and there is red around the eye. All my clinics are closed and I don't know what to do. Please help :( image.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Has he been taken to an avian vet? It looks to me like maybe there is some irritation or infection..... your bird certainly does not look happy in this photo. How long has this been going on with the feather loss, redness and swelling?

@Mizzely @Mockinbirdiva

chubbun

Moving in
Real Name
Mimi
Has he been taken to an avian vet? It looks to me like maybe there is some irritation or infection..... your bird certainly does not look happy in this photo. How long has this been going on with the feather loss, redness and swelling?

@Mizzely @Mockinbirdiva
It just happened two hours ago. He hasn't been taken to a vet yet, all my clinics are currently closed.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How did this happen, do you have any idea? Did you see him crash or anything bang into him? Hopefully the others will be along to help soon as I am at a loss if it has only come on in the last two hours without an actual accident happening. Any chance you have a cat? Is that a small scratch on his eye?

chubbun

Moving in
Real Name
Mimi
How did this happen, do you have any idea? Did you see him crash or anything bang into him? Hopefully the others will be along to help soon as I am at a loss if it has only come on in the last two hours without an actual accident happening. Any chance you have a cat? Is that a small scratch on his eye?
I'm unsure how this happened.. He was with my mom at the time and she says that he jumped and had a crash landing into our carpet. He is the only animal I have in my household and I'm unsure if it's a scratch or if it's just redness. I think it's a scratch as there was a bit of bleeding, but it stopped a while ago.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So were the feathers covering his ear before the carpet crash?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sometimes when they crash they do knock some feathers out where they hit. His eye does look a tad sore and I am not sure what to suggest so I will wait for the members I tagged to offer you some advice. Is he behaving normally otherwise? Or is he a bit sleepy and miserable looking?

chubbun

Moving in
Real Name
Mimi
Sometimes when they crash they do knock some feathers out where they hit. His eye does look a tad sore and I am not sure what to suggest so I will wait for the members I tagged to offer you some advice. Is he behaving normally otherwise? Or is he a bit sleepy and miserable looking?
I see! He is behaving normally, though he won't let me touch the affect area anymore. He's currently taking a nap from all the stress I think. There isn't any discharge thankfully and no bleeding either.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It definitely looks like he got hurt on that side; the eye appears to have a scratch to me too. Besides keeping him warm and monitoring I'm not sure. :(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little guy! I had a bird lose feathers on her ear before from crashing into something. Hopefully he will be okay. If he doesn’t start acting completely normal, he might need some pain/anti inflammatory meds.

chubbun

Moving in
Real Name
Mimi
Poor little guy! I had a bird lose feathers on her ear before from crashing into something. Hopefully he will be okay. If he doesn’t start acting completely normal, he might need some pain/anti inflammatory meds.
Alright! Thank you so much. I will be bringing him into a vet as soon as I'm able to.