• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

J&C's bile acid improved

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Chickie came down from 419 to 200 something. Still high but moving in the right direction. She is voluntarily flying more too. Her lipids and cholesterol are perfect. JoJo's BA came down from 111 to 103. His ldl is 6 units over max. I'll email the vet about how to get it down, didn't think of it on the phone. The vet was very pleased with the improvement.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great news. :) Glad that you posted this because I was wondering what the results were and asked you about that in the vet visit thread. Keep up the good work!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:yah:
Great news!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
wonderful news!!! :dance4:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
That is great news!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is great!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Great news! I am not familiar with Bile Acid Counts. I am wondering, what are they and what do they mean?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Great news! I am not familiar with Bile Acid Counts. I am wondering, what are they and what do they mean?
I'm wondering the same thing. I'm glad they are both doing so well
:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Well, I would never have guessed their BA was off! They go in for annual polyoma shots and this time @Hankmacaw and @Macawnutz insisted I get bloodwork and X-rays done with the physical. Thanks for the article @iamwhoiam their BA was off the charts. I'm on the iPad and can't format the text very well with Rudy helping. Anyway, the vet changed their diet from fruit to veggies and Harrison's and lately the Roudybush weight reduction formula suggested by @Stormcloud. So six weeks later their numbers are dropping and hope the trend continues as the diet continues.
I'll check blood again in 6 weeks.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Well, I would never have guessed their BA was off! They go in for annual polyoma shots and this time @Hankmacaw and @Macawnutz insisted I get bloodwork and X-rays done with the physical. Thanks for the article @iamwhoiam their BA was off the charts. I'm on the iPad and can't format the text very well with Rudy helping. Anyway, the vet changed their diet from fruit to veggies and Harrison's and lately the Roudybush weight reduction formula suggested by @Stormcloud. So six weeks later their numbers are dropping and hope the trend continues as the diet continues.
Great work Saroj! Chickie and JoJo probably deserve some credit too :)

Had you ever done bloodwork on them before?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Great work Saroj! Chickie and JoJo probably deserve some credit too :)

Had you ever done bloodwork on them before?

Yes, many times but not for BA.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard

Good news and excellent that Chickie is voluntarily exercising more. So what does their diet consist of now Saroj and are you having any success with their weight reduction??? :)

Bile acids have to do with liver function and are indicators of liver disease & damage.
Here is a very good article by Dr. Sakas which explains different avian lab tests. Scroll down for info about bile acids.
http://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Understanding-Avian-Lab-Work-Updated-version.pdf

Good article. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Good news and excellent that Chickie is voluntarily exercising more. So what does their diet consist of now Saroj and are you having any success with their weight reduction??? :)

Good article. :)

thanks Gerard! They get a blueberry and small piece of apple along with a ton of sweet chili peppers that they love! Keeps them hydrated. Going to push chop on them again, they are not fans of leaves. They eat Harrison's for breakfast and lunch, and Roudybush at dinner which consists of pretty much the same fresh foods as breakfast. Chickie is losing gradually. Tonight they are getting egg whites.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
thanks Gerard! They get a blueberry and small piece of apple along with a ton of sweet chili peppers that they love! Keeps them hydrated. Going to push chop on them again, they are not fans of leaves. They eat Harrison's for breakfast and lunch, and Roudybush at dinner which consists of pretty much the same fresh foods as breakfast. Chickie is losing gradually. Tonight they are getting egg whites.
Did the vet say anything about the egg whites? My docs don't recommend any sort of meat or dairy product for birds because they don't digest them as well. I believe there was a recent study released but I don't have a link to it, unfortunately.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Did the vet say anything about the egg whites? My docs don't recommend any sort of meat or dairy product for birds because they don't digest them as well. I believe there was a recent study released but I don't have a link to it, unfortunately.
The vet is the one that suggested it. She said not to give them yolks due to fat. The other birds had whole egg.