• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Ivy hurt her beak :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just seeing your post, Jessica, and sent you an email. :hug8:Hope Ivy and you are sleeping in and all went well at the vets.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: Oh no, just seeing this, hoping she is feeling better and it wasn't serious:hug8:

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Thank you everyone for the kind words and advice. The emergency vet was able to stop the bleeding by putting some glue on her beak, it was the top beak, but on the bottom underneath it at the tip... they didnt give no medication or pain meds .... I think my husband got home around 3 am with her, and we decided to leave her in her carrier as she was nice and content.... I peeked on her and noticed she had thrown up? not sure if it was due to the stress or maybe tasting the blood , she has never done this before. Also there was a new cut on top of her beak, it has already stopped bleeding when we noticed it. You can tell she is in pain this morning, so we called our avian vet, and they are able to see her this morning, told my husband to get there at 10:30 so all paper work is done and he can be back there when the vet is looking at her... i will update when they get home from the vet... thanks so much everyone. Our poor baby Ivy :(

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
aww poor baby! yes definitely get that poor girl some pain meds. twiggy is noticeably different when her meds are wearing off. beak injuries are quite painful.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Ivy, I am sure she was very stressed. This may have caused her to vomit. I am surprised the vet did not give pain meds. :( Please update after your follow up appointment with your avian vet. :hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Poor Ivy! I hope it heals ok. Are you sure she didn't throw up during the car ride? Tiki almost always gets car sick. :sadhug2:

Marc

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marco
I have had a similar experience with one of my bird;
he decided to perform a crush test of his beak:huh:, the doctor was able to stop the blood but unforunately since that moment the beak has begun to grow up in irregular mode;
I hope it doesn't happen to your bird as well.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
:hug8:for you, Ivy and your family.

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
Poor baby girl! I am glad you are going back to your regular av to get her some pain meds, that sounds very painful! More :hug8:

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Thanks everyone for all the kind words and help. Ivy is home from the vet, the vet said her beak looked good, shes a nice healthy weight, and shes a big girl. Of course when they got at the vet, she was climbing all over the carrier and using her beak with no problem. I think she was just stressed and tired this morning, The vet was not worried about the throw up, said it was from her throwing up since blood has something it in that causes you to throw up. He did a full blood panel, and did a gram stain. He said probably after the weekend she will be back to herself with toy playing. I also made some yummy new birdie bistro apple berry ... hope she likes it. Thanks again everyone. :heart:

brilywi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bri
Just now seeing this; so glad that Ivy will be okay :heart: Beak injuries are always the scariest.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thoughts and prayers for her!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to hear she is doing well! You are a good Mom for getting her to the vet ASAP!:hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award