• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've recently joined the Jardine's club... who's with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pchela

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
I didn't see a thread for this so I'm sorry if I missed it and this is a repeat.

I just wanted to know who else had Jardine's. I have a 4 month old boy and I'd love to compare stories. There's just not much information to be found on them on the net.

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I have a 10 month old Jardine, Ollie (see picture below) which is a male. I started visiting him when he was just a little fluffy chick. Ollie tends to be on the aggressive side, but I can handle him with no problem--when he gets very excited he really goes wild. I think this is because he's still very young--I've read that they settle down a bit after their first birthdays. He's already calmed down a lot and likes head scritches now (which I couldn't do a couple months ago). Other people have trouble handling Ollie, but I think it's because they are afraid of his big beak and he knows he can intimidate them.

This book covers all the Poicephalus Family and mentions Jardines frequently and I found it very helpful:

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Senegal...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282934578&sr=1-1

Last edited:

grndragon57

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Fred
We joined the Jardine's club yesterday. We were finally able to make arrangements to pick them up. Neither can be handled, but they are rescue birds.

pchela

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
Nice!

My little guy is very sweet. He has not bitten at all yet, not even nips. He just wants to be with a person at all times... bit of a velcro bird. He hasn't really started playing too hard yet. So far, he's almost opposite of everything I've read about Jardine's. I had a choice between him and his brother... his brother was very nippy and very vocal and flying all over the place. He seemed like a more typical Jardine's. I chose the shyer one because he didn't draw blood while I was visiting like his brother did! I do hope he comes out of his shell a bit and becomes more playful but we'll see. He's been home about 3 weeks and I know it takes some time for their personalities to develop and emerge.

I'm still working on finding the perfect name for him.

Thanks for the book link... I actually have that book and it is informative. I just like to compare info with other owners. I feel like it gives a bit more insight into what the generalizations of a species are if you know what I mean.

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Well your bird may stay mild or it might hit it's terrible twos--like Ollie did. Ollie's always been a very active bird, but he didn't become nippy until about 4 months old. Prior to that as a baby he was mostly interested in begging for food. When he and his brother were getting close to being fully weaned they started playing more. Ollie was more out going than his sibling, who was quieter. We actually thought we were going to take the other Jardine, he was more mello and relaxed than Ollie--but towards the end of his weaning period, the other Jardine turned on us and didn't want anything to do with us. Ollie, on the other hand, always came running to me when we arrived for visits. So he's the parrot we ended up taking home. I don't know whether it was the other bird perfered female companions or what exactly the problem was, but the chemistry just wasn't right.

Ollie is a hard player, in fact he's been so rough tumbling off of things and falling from the top to the bottom of his cage that he has broken off all his tail feathers. He is molting slowly, I can't wait till he grows those tail feathers back, he looks a bit odd without them. Then, of course, I'll have to worry about him breaking the blood feathers off; but he's not as rough as he once was.

Last edited:

birdergirl

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rhonda
Welcome to the club! My Keiki is a 16 month-old Jardine's hen. She was quite the "velcro bird" at first, too. I'm sure yours will get over that with time. It takes some time for them to settle in.

pchela

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
Am I biased or are they one of the cuter parrots? The big beak gives them a kind of cartoonish look.

I think mine is trying to say "What are you doing?". Do any of yours talk? I've heard that they are great talkers and that they are poor talkers. :huh:

It's good to hear that the velcro phase may pass. It's cute but sometimes you want some time when there isn't a bird attached to you!

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Ollie says a variety of things "Ollie" "Noooooo!" "Good Morning" "I love you" "Hello"--sometime he speaks quiet clearly and other times it's in a gruff parrot voice that is harder to understand. Keep repeating the same thing to your bird over and over and there's a good chance he will talk. Ollie started talking at about 6 months.

I'm biased too, I think Jardines are very good looking--just not as colorful as some of the other species.

pchela

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
I don't know. Once they get that beautiful orange in they are quite striking!

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
Where is the Jardine club? Isnt there a list just for them alone like the cape?

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Not sure what you mean. There is an African Parrot Society. :confused:

Fig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chelsy
Hello everyone!

I am new around here and I am joining the Jardine's club!

I am beyond excited. My baby comes home shortly after Christmas! I am like an expectant mother with all the planning and purchasing and fussing around the house trying to get everything just right and ready.

My little boy's name is Fig, and he is coming to me from across the country. I hope he turns out to be as wonderful as I already believe him to be. The breeders ensure be he is very sweet natured, but I'm going to love him even if he is a little hellion!

Here is a picture of my Figgly Wiggly about a week or so ago, all his feathers haven't come in yet :heart:
The Store 1370.jpg

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Best wishes with Fig! All the birdies have different personalities. I main thing, I think, is being consistent wish them. I supposed gender can also play a role. Do you know if Fig is a boy or a girl? I've only met male Jardines so far. Ollie had that little patch in front of his crop when he was hand feeding too, but that fills in quickly after they wean.

Ollie is about 14 months old now and has settled down a bit; he's not as nippy as he used to be. He likes to have head scritches and now will give me little kisses. He's no longer hell bent on destroying my glasses either. His vocabulary has grown. He now says "Peek-a-boo" "Maya!" (the dog's name), "Sammy" "Hello, hello" and I'm teaching him to whistle the first part of "Jingle Bells" for the holiday. He seems more understandable now than he used to be.

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
We took Ollie for a wing and nail trimming today and they had a young Jardine, Roscoe out at the time. Unlike Ollie, Roscoe is afraid of everything, and leery of strangers. I've read this is a stage that Pois can go through--it was one that Ollie didn't have thankfully. He's actually not been afraid of anything except the Christmas Tree and he's gotten over that.

Fig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chelsy
When Fig comes home, I will tell you all about him and his quirks and how he may or may not be compared to other Jardine's I have read about.

I have only met one Jardin's in person. It was a little guy at a local bird shop. It was an instant connection. I'd say he "choose" me. Unfortunately, he had suffered a major injury when he was very young. And being a first time bird parent, I felt I wouldnt be able to provide him with the special care he would need :(

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I'm sure Fig will love you and your new home once he has time to adjust. Baby birds especially want to be loved, and if the old people he loved aren't around he will learn to love you too if it isn't love at first sight. I understand about the disabled parrot you couldn't take home, I agree that it's not a challenge for a first time bird parent to take on. Parrots all present their little challenges, so I think for the first time bird owner it's good to start with a a nice healthy young bird that you can grow with.

Status
Not open for further replies.