• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've got to foster and ship my birds. ARGH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkCrimson

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hillari
So here's the short and skinny, we're moving to Puerto Rico this spring. We're driving all over the US to visit family and winding up in Florida. So we'll be driving from Alaska to Florida and will be on the road 45 days (camping about 25 days of it), there is no safe and feasible way to take the birds.

I've got most of the info on shipping them and vet certs and everything. I'm currently looking for a foster who can take care of getting them to the vet and getting them to the airport, as well as take care of them the 3 months I'm unavailable.

I was wondering if anyone has had to go through the hassle of shipping their birds before? Since it's SO far (AK to PR), they have to overnight in Texas, there is no way around it. I'm starting to get really anxious about leaving them the closer the dates get. I've fostered them once before and it was hard to be away from them, but I stayed local so they didn't have to ship. I was hoping someone who's done this before could tell me how it works, or their experiences from it.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
That would be stressful, but I commend you for going to the trouble to bring them along, as apposed to rehoming them to suit your convenience factor! Yay!

I have never done what you are doing, but I can imagine it would be hard.

I wonder if some of our fabulous AA members would consider assiting you with fostering and transporting during this difficult time. That would be awsome!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no idea what it entails,but I just wanted to send you a :hug8: in this stressful time. I hope that someone from AA is able to help you.

jaytee

Jogging around the block
I hear, too often, of people moving across Borders, and unable to take their fids. I'm soooo glad you were able to work through that.

If you have no luck with a foster in your area, is it possible that you're friends/family in Fl., can foster? That way, your fids will be waiting for you, when you arrive.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I like that idea, Jaytee!
I'm way out of the way up here in MN

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
There is a woman who I follow her blog that has traveled a ton with her and her husband's flock of nine parrots. If I am not mistaken, they have also done overseas trips where the birds were going and coming out of different countries. You may try getting in touch with her and seeing if she could walk you through it.
Jamieleigh's Parrot Help

Status
Not open for further replies.