• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've got the itch again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I feel the need to get all my birds new cages! :eek:
I recently have decided that the corner cage that I have for Ella and Archie still feels too small for both of them. I want to upgrade them to this:

Its bigger than the one they currently have and I just feel like they would have a lot more room, and I like the seed guards on it (my current cage doesn't have seed guards).

And now I've got an itch to consolidate Mr. Pigglesworth, Calypso and Akira's cages. I was thinking something like this:

I feel like it would be more efficient space-wise than the set up I currently have, and it would be giving all my birds more room in their cages. Paul of course just rolled his eyes at me when I mentioned what I wanted to do with the bird cages. :rolleyes:

What do you guys think? Should I do this, or should I stick with what I have now? Does anyone have these cages, and if so can you give me a review on them and tell me what you like/dislike about them?
Thanks!

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
My vote is always for more room for birds in their cages, however I am still against stackable cages for numerous reasons.

Love the large corner cage, have many of them myself. They tuck away nice into the corners but you do need space in front of the trays to pull them out far enough. And you need to protect the walls somewhat.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
My vote is always for more room for birds in their cages, however I am still against stackable cages for numerous reasons.

Love the large corner cage, have many of them myself. They tuck away nice into the corners but you do need space in front of the trays to pull them out far enough. And you need to protect the walls somewhat.
I'd love to hear what you have to say about stackable cages. Yes, I really love the design of the corner cages. So convenient for how I have the bird room set up now!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
This subject of stackable cages and the negative aspects of them has been talked about a few times before - someone isn't reading all the posts = naughty, naughty. ;)

The most important reason to not use stackable cages (IMO & IME) is that the birds on the bottom are stressed, to different degrees depending on the bird, when they hear noises & feel vibrations on top of them, even after they get somewhat used to the noises & movements.

Also debris, dust, spilled water (soiled) and etc. has it's way of working down into the lower cage(s) therefore making things a bit un-hygenic for the birds down there. They sometimes lick soiled water and poo-stained water that can run down the sides, not to mention the sometimes runny poo itself.

Also birds simply prefer to be higher up, most do not like to be down low even if they sometimes seem to get used to it. Goes against their natural instincts. Especially troublesome for those birds that have to share a home with cats and dogs, etc.

Also, we all should be using good quality F.S. Lighting in our homes for our indoor birds and proper lighting does not penetrate the upper cage to reach the lower cages. Mounting lighting from the sides IMO & IME is not natural and can irritate the birds to a degree.

I may be leaving out something, will add on later if I remember something else.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Yeeessss, guilty as charged. I'm off to do my due diligence and read and research. But you're right, I wouldn't want poor Akira to have to go through that. Hmm, So I guess things stay the same. Dabnab! That would have been another playstand I could squeeze in :lol:.
I've dedicated space for the Mango one that I'm going to pick up in the early spring for 2011, but now I really want to get EWD gyms and get two more Rosie bridges (since it has become such a huge favorite around here) and connect them all together like a large triangle and then put a flyer hanging in the middle above them or something :)

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I LOVE the corner cage. Saw a big green one before and almost bougth it!:o:D

I have to admit, I was planning on getting some double stacker cages for myself and my birds. But it takes ME forever to decide on a proper cage (or cages as was my case). So I decided that I'd ditched the double stacker idea (the plan was to save space:rolleyes:) and just go with indoor aviaries. So that is now the plan, and Im hoping it doesnt change! Cage selection gives me headaches!

And as for the double stacker flight cage, I am getting it for my moms birds. I personally dont like it. As PTBs has already stated, the birds on the bottom do feel the movements from the birds ontop, and it can stress them out. And providing them enough light is hard. Not only that, its low to the ground, and birds like to be up high. I dont condone those who need these cages for space...(after all I was considering it myself) but I have seen them in person, and I do not like them.

If I remember correctly, you have two budgies, right? Could you not house them together in a single flight cage?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I don't have either, i've seen many different corner cages in person, and really didn't care for any of them The inside area just seemed small to me Even on bigger macaw sized cages Could all just be the over all design that makes it seem small to me (it may not be small at all If that make sense)

I notice the odd shape of the flooring of the corner cage I had a Hexagon shaped cage that had 2 pull out trays/grates - I HATED that cage the trays/grates were pure hell to put back in , i couldn't get in to clean it I actually had to use a MOP! do you know how hard it is to mop a cage floor From a little door With 20 some budgies flying around Playing while your trying to clean it LOL i was so happy to get rid of that cage - not to mention no more Hitting my head off the roof that no matter where I put the stupid thing the roof stuck out and I ran into it Every day more than once !

the Stack able ones I seen Avian Adventures In person and If I ever go to normal "parrot" type cages I will be getting a couple of those

They were very roomy, The ones we had (well my b/f and his dad had they were selling) is the one that you can add more to it and make it 3 stacks, 4 stacks 2 stacks with one huge side - etc.

Mine right now are in Stack able Critter nation cages They all get A lot of light, they are not scared/ nervous being on the lower part MOST of them love being in the bottom cage Vs The top cage

Each Bird is different, What bothers some doesn't bother all! Maybe its because the top cage doesn't touch the bottom cage what so ever there is a Huge open area between the two cages. I do not have mine set up the way they are intended for critters!

maybe it doesn't bother mine because mine use all parts of the cage any way, and when they're out they're Playing on the floor in the birds room Most of the time Mine like being low to the ground , in the middle or up high They truly have no preference they like it all -as long as they get to play, and get into trouble they really don't care LOL

Last edited:

platinum

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sharon
If I remember correctly, you have two budgies, right? Could you not house them together in a single flight cage?
I believe she was thinking of putting the budgies in one, and her lovie Akira in the other.

MBS

Jogging around the block
I hope you find just the right cage for your birds.

I'm not getting new cages until we move. I am going to have a bird room. I want new cages now though.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Cage upgrades are always great!

Status
Not open for further replies.