• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've been MIA because we've been fine, but now I have a dilemma ie: Eggs

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
Hi. How are you?

I have three green cheek conures, and I think I know who did this. Koi Monkey is 7 years old. Her bird, Jak, is turning 8 in July. They also live with Idris, 6.

Koi let out a few small yells like she was irritated her toe was snagged on something, so I went over and asked if she needs help and there is an egg by my bird. I looked around the cage and also found an egg under the grate in the substrate in the opposite corner.

How long should I wait this out before removing them, and where can I get an appropriate clutch of dummy eggs?

Right now they're eating Harrison's Lifetime Fine, freeze dried meal worms, Nutriberries, and some Brown's Tropical Carnival. Do I need to get protein powder, or should this diet be okay?

My boyfriend is stumped why a group of females would start laying with no male, and I thought I'd been blessed up until now.

Admins - if this goes somewhere else, help me out please.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Girls will lay eggs sometimes with or without a guy in the house. Give them some extra cuttlebone and I'd suggest you make sure they have @ minimum of 12 hours sleep. Changing their cage toys and set-up will sometimes also inhibit egg laying. Tis the season fids will lay or go through nesting motions if they feel their habitat is safe and secure from predators for nesting.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
They've never had a cuttlebone and I usually have them in bed by 10 pm. Maybe I should start covering them at 8. She's asleep on the newest egg right now, just out in the open in the bottom of the cage. They also live with cats, so it's peculiar she's feeling maternal. They've been doing a bunch of flying lately as well since the days have gotten longer.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
Ordered a clutch of dummyeggs.com It says she could be on them for 3 weeks and up to 5 eggs.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I wouldn't remove them until she's done sitting. One of my Lovie girls was removed from her eggs too soon when I bought her. She immediately had a second clutch. Now that she's sat on her second clutch until she was done with it, she hasn't tried laying another.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do not take the eggs away until the hen "voluntarily abandons" them (for at least 3 or 4 days). Normal incubation period is 21 ish days. A good mother won't give up so easily (infertile eggs) and may push that as much as 10 days longer before giving up. In any case let the cycle run its course and end naturally.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
They've never had a cuttlebone and I usually have them in bed by 10 pm. Maybe I should start covering them at 8. She's asleep on the newest egg right now, just out in the open in the bottom of the cage. They also live with cats, so it's peculiar she's feeling maternal. They've been doing a bunch of flying lately as well since the days have gotten longer.
Cuttlebone should help up their calcium and they won't necessarily recognize a cat as a danger the way humans can determine what is or isn't dangeraous. As JLcribber said, leave the eggs where they are. Taking them away will make whoever is laying them lay more which will lower her calcium which she really needs.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
If they bird doesn't understand the use of cuttlebone, you can scrape the soft side in to a fine powder and mix it in her food (preferably fresh foods since it'll stick to it). Other alternatives; Beach Walk Bird Perch

My Lovebird hen took to these perches for calcium before she discovered her cuttlebone as a source. She'll nibble off whichever's closest to her, but she seems to prefer the perches. One of them has been whittled down quite a bit, so you might want to get a size larger than normal so it lasts longer.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you remove the eggs, you also need to remove the triggers to egg laying, otherwise, like the others have said, she'll just try to replace the eggs.

Remove the meal worms from the diet.

Are they also getting fresh foods?

Goodegg

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
My bird, Icarus lays eggs every spring. She is the only bird here... and I had a parakeet years ago that did the same thing. Over the years of bird ownership I have noticed that as long as they are feeling secure, they will lay eggs with or without a male present. I have tried many different things over the years to discourage the behavior and nothing ever stopped her from laying.

I found that it works out best if you just keep an eye on them and help them through this time. Let nature run it's course, be kind to them, comfort them through it and be sure she gets enough good nutrition to help her maintain good health as the egg laying does deplete them of nutrients.

I usually give her some pieces of poached egg and some sesame seeds along with broccoli for extra calcium. Icarus will sit on her eggs for a while and I leave them there until she ignores them completely. Once I think she honestly wants nothing to do with them, I will remove them. I wait to be sure so that it doesn't trigger her to lay again.. that's where you could run into an issue due to them being depleted of nutrition and not having the strength to keep producing.

Check to make sure the eggs have good solid shells, if the shells are soft that means she is low on calcium which could cause a problem if she keeps trying to lay more and cannot create a solid shell... On the plus side it does indicate that you are doing a fine job of taking care of her because they don't lay unless they feel safe, secure and well fed... hope some of this helps.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hens that are laying eggs burn through an incredible amount of calcium. Protein would most likely encourage more egg laying, but maybe use a calcium supplement once a week? Cuttlebone is not the best source for calcium in this case.

Here’s a good one. The reason I suggest only once weekly is that you’re using Harrison’s - if she’s eating plenty of that she should be getting a ‘normal’ level but if she isn’t maybe add it twice a week. At any rate right now she needs more than normal.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have had Tuck and Rue's eggs in their cage for several months now. I bought them a new cage and they were able to reach the paper so they decided to start again. I immediately put all the eggs back and Rue only laid two. Tuck still fusses over them occasionally so I'm not moving them. I have't seen Rue even look at them. :rolleyes:

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I've been cutting back on how long their lamp is turned on and trying to get them covered earlier in the evenings. Nobody likes the cuttlebone. She's laid 6 or 7, and someone keeps taking the eggs from her. She's constantly chattering when she's not asleep on them. Right now she's on an entire clutch of dummy eggs, still sure they will hatch.
She's so small to be pumping these eggs out, but I had no idea how long it'd take to lay them all.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I think she's laid 8. It looks like she's working on a 9th and she's started pulling the feathers out of her lower tummy. I spoke with a vet tech today that told me if I can't move her cage to another part of the house (I can't; this place is crazy small) then to reorganize the entire cage to try to throw her off. I wish I had a new toy to put up, but I just have some things out of storage. Moved all the perches, the boing, the location of the food dish, took the natural sisal rope out and put a rainbow sisal rope back in a completely different location.
She said if we can't clear this up in about a week and a half, I can consider a visit and possible hormonal adjustment. The shell quality is still good, but she's sitting on 9 dummies.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If it helps... This is generally what I recommend for egg-laying hens. (X-post) :)

1. Remove Eggs
    • Rearrange the cage
    • Move the cage to a new location
    • Use a cage grate
    • Get a new cage/Use a different cage
    • 12-14 hours of complete darkness (may require as much as 16 hrs for 2 weeks - or try providing the opposite, as little as 8 hrs of sleep)
    • Full Spectrum Lighting/Better Lighting
    • Lower the indoor temperature
    • Decrease calcium and protein within the diet (if she is on a high calcium & protein diet prior to laying eggs)
    • Remove anything that could be taken as a nest
    • Remove anything that could be used as nesting material
    • Don't allow her in any dark place or enclosed area
    • IMPORTANT: save the eggs in the fridge
    • If she lays more than 3-4 eggs, put them back in the cage
  2. Leave the Eggs
    • Leave the eggs alone in the cage
    • [Optional] Replace with fake eggs (prevent eggs from breaking)
    • Increase calcium
    • Let hen sit on eggs for 3-4 weeks or until she gets bored of them
    • Once done sitting, toss

Generally speaking, there are triggers to hens laying eggs, and if you can remove the triggers, you may be able to stop the egg laying. Triggers can include toys that she can lay in, a plastic base to a cage, nesting material (i.e. cage bedding), a diet high in protein and fat, too much or not enough light, quality of light, etc. All things that should be considered. Removing the triggers to egg laying should be considered *FIRST* before any drastic measures should be taken. You never know, it could be something simple!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
"Mom, they're all duds. I want my money (feathers) back."

Sherbie isn't sitting on her eggs as much now, but be prepared to lose a finger if you mess with the nest.