• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've been hissed at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Admit it, you're somewhat fascinated by Emma.:D Now you have Keene.:D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the question is how much you wil regret it if you don't allow it to happen.

At age 55, I have found that the regrets that run the deepest are for the omissions, the chances not taken, but that's me. :)
Wise words, and I know what you mean, Ziggymon. But, well, wouldn't I regret it more if I kept her and she posed a health risk to my beloved Elvissa? Or am I exaggerating that? I honestly don't know. I know that cockatoos are the biggest threat, but Greys can be nearly as dusty, can they not? This is a small Grey, but s/he's a "Congo" and my understanding is that they are on the "no-no" list.

andor

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt

Yes, would have to be in the same room as Elvissa, and the room is not that large (10x12? if memory serves)--this is the primary reason I never wanted a Grey (aside from my own dust allergies--although I have had no problems with that so far). The room is well ventilated, and it is open to the rest of the house through a large entryway, so it is not closed-off. Yes, I could get another air purifier, or two if that's what it took, but I'm not convinced even that is enough. I don't know how much dust air purifiers actually remove :huh:. When would I know it to be "safe"? I have an Austin in there, but I still see dust on things between dustings... Yes, I clean in the evening so that things are clean overnight. If I'm home, I'll sometimes touch things up in the morning. But, night is when mice and other creatures might be tempted by dropped food, so things are always clean here before I turn out the lights.
See how willing she is to get wet. Frequent showers make a HUGE difference as to the amount of dust that gets airborne.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
speak to your A Vet. He knows Elvissa's health status. Make your decision after that.:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm on the phone with my vet for you.:D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Admit it, you're somewhat fascinated by Emma.:D Now you have Keene.:D
Saemma, I think Emma is "neat," but I can honestly say that my thinking Emma was "neat" didn't have much direct impact on this situation. As I told someone the other day, I think it would be much more "neat" to have a girl Illiger's for Patrick to spoon with. I also think YCMs are "neat" and that GW's are "neat." Actually, pretty much any macaw. That doesn't mean I will find myself with any of those. Also, honestly, what I find most "neat" about Emma is her amazing talking ability :) , and I was specifically told that this bird does not talk, nor am I expecting her to do so.

:huh: THis may be a bit premature but it just crossed my mind so I'll share.:D

I get the feeling that if you do choose to keep her, your cup of parrot will finally be truly FULL this time.

And You'll stop finding yourself in circumstances of rescuing additional parrots because your mind and your thoughts will be content and you'll just have no more time for anybirdy else. I believe that.:)
My cup of parrot was already full. And I really didn't mean to rescue this parrot. I just found it difficult to drive away and leave her there. Decisions like that are not things you get to deliberate about. You have minutes to choose--and I honestly did not like my decision. I felt foolish and irresponsible. However, I do believe that it was a tremendous fluke, and the odds of having something like that happen again in a small town like this one are astronomical, so, no, I am not concerned about that.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's what she said. First and foremost you must find out whether Keene is a carrier of any diseases.

If you will keep good ventilation, air purifier and cleaning habits because the powder does accumulate over time. Otherwise there should be no problem. If she were a cockatoo, that would be a different story.

What you might want to be more concerned about is the big differences in demeanors. African greys generally tend to be more nervous types of birds. They generally need a calmer environment/approach to minimize stress.

I would say she's right about that. Mabel actually makes Emma quite nervous with her quick movements, her lunging gestures and bold attitude. I think by this time she is probably used to when Mabel gets LOUD but thank goodness it is only a fraction of the time.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Holiday, here is my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I think you will be a wonderful stepping stone for her. When an addition causes this much stress, especially since it is health related, it is just not worth it. She will make a wonderful addition for the right person.

When I added Olivia I felt "done" and at peace, if her addition gave you that feeling I would say keep her, but I don't think it does :hug8::hug8::hug8:

There is nothing wrong with being her stepping stone, and she's very lucky to have you. :):hug8:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg:a girlie parrot to spoon with Patrick!!:eek: Then you'd end up having a potential egg layer!!:D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's what she said. First and foremost you must find out whether Keene is a carrier of any diseases.

If you will keep good ventilation, air purifier and cleaning habits because the powder does accumulate over time. Otherwise there should be no problem. If she were a cockatoo, that would be a different story.

What you might want to be more concerned about is the big differences in demeanors. African greys generally tend to be more nervous types of birds. They generally need a calmer environment/approach to minimize stress.

I would say she's right about that. Mabel actually makes Emma quite nervous with her quick movements, her lunging gestures and bold attitude. I think by this time she is probably used to when Mabel gets LOUD but thank goodness it is only a fraction of the time.
Thank you so much, Saemma :hug8:. I will ask my own vet too, and if she concurs, it will be a huge load off my mind.

Birdy does not seem nervous at all, although she can hear the macaws. Instead, she seemed to comforted by their presence. Perhaps she was reared in an aviary with lots of birds; I don't know. But as soon as she heard the others, she seemed to feel more at ease.

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg:a girlie parrot to spoon with Patrick!!:eek: Then you'd end up having a potential egg layer!!:D
Well, I'm not going to do that; I only meant that I'd have been much more likely to do that than get a Grey.

As to eggs, well, Bella lays eggs and it is not a problem. Eggs boil.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

Wise words, and I know what you mean, Ziggymon. But, well, wouldn't I regret it more if I kept her and she posed a health risk to my beloved Elvissa? Or am I exaggerating that? I honestly don't know. I know that cockatoos are the biggest threat, but Greys can be nearly as dusty, can they not? This is a small Grey, but s/he's a "Congo" and my understanding is that they are on the "no-no" list.
Oh, I'm not discounting that concern at all, Holiday. Thats something you need to address and feel comfortable about, regardless of your feelings about/reaction to Keene.

A dozen or more years ago, I happened to be in a Petsmart during an adoption event. There were three adult yellow tabbies there, siblings, who were completely terrified. I walked away from them, because I had a full household and because my ex would have thrown a fit if i had brought them home. They still haunt me, because they were so terrified and so badly needed to go together, and I know that the chances of anyone else taking all three were pretty much nil. But in that case, they wouldn't have posed a health risk to my other animals (I always quarantine for 2-3 months and re-test for feline aids and leukemia), even though they would have created a temporary disruption in the household.

This, I think, is a good point, and one which you will be able to judge for yourself once Keene has been vetted/is done with quarantine.

Last fall, the 'zons spent a couple of weeks in the bird room with Socrates and Rosebud and Ziggy, while I painted the living room and hall and redid the floors. The macaws dont pay any attention to the zons, and are, on the whole, a fairly quiet crew, but I could tell Paco wasnt really happy about being in such close proximity to the macaws (the room is about 12 by 14). When I carried Paco back to the living room, after everything had a chance to cure, and he saw his cage in there, he let out this little sound of pure joy that brought tears to my eyes (especially since he's such a stoic individual). Now Bertie, who is generally much more high strung than Paco, didn't seem to particularly care one way or the other.

It'll be interesting to see Keene's reaction to everyone else.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A dozen or more years ago, I happened to be in a Petsmart during an adoption event. There were three adult yellow tabbies there, siblings, who were completely terrified. I walked away from them, because I had a full household and because my ex would have thrown a fit if i had brought them home. They still haunt me, because they were so terrified and so badly needed to go together, and I know that the chances of anyone else taking all three were pretty much nil.
:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just wanted to address the whole temperament issue briefly. Now, she's only been here a week, but what I'm seeing is not a nervous bird. A little shy at first, yes, but not jumpy. This bird was playing with toys and hanging upside down making cute noises by the second day she was here. I can reach into the cage and rearrange toys, and she will beak my sleeve. She is not phobic at all, from what I've seen so far. I'm not really seeing the "Grey nervousness" that I was warned about. Actually, that is one reason why I'm kind of playing with the idea of keeping her. She's not at all what I thought she'd be... Of course, a screaming B&G could put a crimp in anyone's temperament :D But, oddly, I'm not feeling particularly apprehensive about it.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
That does indeed sound very promising, from a temperament point of view.
:heart:

As for the rest, I think it's a matter of feeling comfortable about the dust issue. it seems to me that your heart has already been touched.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's not in the same room with them or in close proximity. What you see is not an accurate assessment of how she'll react in their full presence. Not saying she won't be the same but.. you'll have to find out.:)

With all that said, :hug8: I wish you courage and clarity.

It doesn't hurt to add this thread here either for your viewing pleasure.:)

http://forums.avianavenue.com/bird-boulevard/62305-factors-consider-before-adding-your-flock.html
Yes, of course, you are right, Saemma. :hug8: I had already seen that thread, but thanks for adding it here. It is well placed.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just wanted to address the whole temperament issue briefly. Now, she's only been here a week, but what I'm seeing is not a nervous bird. A little shy at first, yes, but not jumpy. This bird was playing with toys and hanging upside down making cute noises by the second day she was here. I can reach into the cage and rearrange toys, and she will beak my sleeve. She is not phobic at all, from what I've seen so far. I'm not really seeing the "Grey nervousness" that I was warned about. Actually, that is one reason why I'm kind of playing with the idea of keeping her. She's not at all what I thought she'd be... Of course, a screaming B&G could put a crimp in anyone's temperament :D But, oddly, I'm not feeling particularly apprehensive about it.
Out of the 4 Greys I've had here, only one was slightly phobic, and even she got much better with time. I don't expect phobic behavior so I never pussyfoot around them :D

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That does indeed sound very promising, from a temperament point of view.
:heart:

As for the rest, I think it's a matter of feeling comfortable about the dust issue. it seems to me that your heart has already been touched.
Well, yes, I'd say my heart has been touched, although I'm not quite in love yet :) But, I feel like this bird has never received fair treatment. I think circumstances have been very unfair to Keene, and my sympathies are with her. I have a tremendous amount of sympathy for those who have been misjudged, and I think she was. This bird is a very nice bird, and not uncommunicative at all. Just quiet.

Out of the 4 Greys I've had here, only one was slightly phobic, and even she got much better with time. I don't expect phobic behavior so I never pussyfoot around them :D

Hmm, interesting. :) I was surprised when I felt that tug at my sleeve. It was adorable, I must say...

Status
Not open for further replies.