• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I've been accepted! (+ Updates)

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
Indie has decided that I am not the worst and now lets me give her head scratches and pinfeather removal!! Eek!!

Her pinfeathers got so bad and she got SO aggressive from aggravation that one day last week I decided that that was enough, I got a towel and held her to get some of the most obvious pins right on the top of her head. I wish I was exaggerating when I say I think she had about a hundred on her head alone. It was BAD. So, I got a bunch them then gave her lots of millet for being good and patient. Then I did the same the next day and got even more. I repeated this every day for about five days - by the last few days she would hunker down in the towel and let me use both hands to find the pins at the back of her neck. I think she realized it's helping by then!
Then, on Friday night, she came right up to me and put her head down ASKING for scratches!!! No nips, no bites, she just let me (gently) scratch her head and she even let me get under her chin. It was WAY too cute. So now she lets me know when she'd like some help with her feathers!

I can't believe the personality change on her in the last week. She doesn't bite (me, anyway) half as hard as she used to, she lets me know when she wants to play and when she wants alone time, and she's much chattier too. I think she's trying to sound out "thank you" now!

I also made her some new toys last week and she's gotten into those quickly. I bought a lot of unused wine bottle corks off a friend and now I have about 200 of them for her to chew through, as well as some untreated wood from an apple tree which she's decided is great. It's hilarious to watch a bird walk around with a stick in her mouth!

So, Indie and I are friends and she's got a bunch of stuff to do. Lots of smiles at my place these days! :)

Attachments

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Those toys are adorable, and Indie is super duper cute. :heart::heart:

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I would just say to be careful about the loops in the toys. We wouldn't want Indie to get her head/foot stuck in one of those

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Indie is adorable........and she sounds like she is on her way to wrapping you around her finger......er.....foot!

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
The loops cinch closed around the carabiner that clips them to the cage - I just had to have a way to hold them in the picture! Hahaha! They're on cotton rope, which is also fun for her to preen. I found it at a store that sells bird toy parts, so I think the next thing I'll do is make a rope perch. Has anyone had success making one?

My heart just explodes when she comes asking for scratches. I'm going to love it now while the novelty still hasn't worn off!