• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures It's official muffin hates me....

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well the time I went to get Lurch he was very mad at his short time care taker and ended up on the floor beside me and allowed me to scratch and protect him. When we got home I was figuring we were going to be best buds right away as he allowed a chin scratch on his play stand, then he popped me quick and hard and tore off some skin on my finger. I decided strangling him was bad and went to long term plan B. He was scared to death I think and mad at the world.
He stayed in his cage for 6 months then slowly started coming out but would get aggressive and upset between allowing a occasional treat or scratch.
A mere 5 years later he still has pissy moments and triggers that make him homicidal but he also is very fond of me and loves to hang out and share dinner, scratches, and naps. If I try to leave he flies onto my shoulder and wants to be with me.
He likes my sister too, but she is not allowed to scratch, she is allowed to provide toast, a knee to hang out on, and treats. I think any critter can learn to trust and love somebody given enough time and care back but they also choose their favorites and it can take a while to reach a understanding with the non chosen one.
My previous Maxi Nerd loved me and I was his chosen one but he had things that were only for my sister and him to do.
She was required to share her breakfast on her days off, then provide a very long, or short, scratch session, his choice.
That was their special time together and both cherished it.
As your time together goes on with work even if your not the chosen one I bet you two will find something that is just between you :hug8:

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

shesocalifornia

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina
I am sure she has picked him....problem is he is never around. Poor girl....I feel bad for her.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
When do we decide to accept the situation for what it is & just give the bird a good home, good diet, clean cage, human interaction as much as they will accept..etc.....I am making great progress w/ one of the macraws but nothing w/ the other.....the second he is on a perch i get bit, blood dripping every where so I have to put him back, bandage myself-so he is getting what he wants, to be left alone...when do I just accept that? :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You "start" accepting it today. Things will get better in time but this is not measured in weeks, more likely months or years. There's a lot of baggage to unload. How long did it take that baggage to accumulate?

I have the exact same situation at home. When my wife is in the birds presence, I need to be on guard and aware at all times. You establish your own unique relationship with him outside of your husband's presence. Don't even try when he's around. It's not going to be quick or easy but you can do it.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ha ha yep I shouldn't take it personally....but some birds don't like some people....for whatever reason. I just happen to be someone she does not like. Will she ever learn to tolerate me?? That is all I want so she isn't locked up all the time. She has a huge indoor cage. But with the trays I can't step inside. When she is loose in the house she also attacks me...or on her stand. So I don'ttthink she is cage aggressive at all....she is just aggressive towards women in general.
I think birds and cockatoos in particular have emotions that aren't necessarily the same as human emotions. So we have a hard time understanding them in the context of what we know to be true of ourselves. My goffin's can be unpredictable and do fly attacks. I don't take it personally or assume that she doesn't like me or that someone else would be a better home for her. She has been rehomed a few times and is just an aloof, different sort of cockatoo. In the few years I've had her, she still goes through periods of aggression or what I would generalize as being "mad" at me over something. Although, I'm not entirely certain that is the case. However, in the last year or so, she is doing better at letting her guard down and allowing hugs and more petting. She's just different and I'm willing to roll with it. At some point, difficult birds just need someone to stick with them. The outdoor aviary for several months of the year may be a godsend for you and her.

funtimebirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ann
We have the same problem with our Umbrella Cockatoo Marshmellow. She adores my husband but now can put up with me a little. She has bitten me pretty good throughout the years.

What has worked for us......toys remain lower in the cage.....when she does come out she is below my eye level and absolutely no petting under the wings. Cockatoos are notorious for lifting up their wings and how cute "let me pet you under her wings".....that is a hormonal act of lifting up the wings. It took a while but she has calmed down considerably. Here is a Picture of Marshmellow modeling one of our bird toys on our site

Shred Sandwich Bird Toy for Macaw/Cockatoo Size Birds

I hope this helps.

Ann