• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It's my last bird I swear....

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm with Laura on a bit worried you've bitten off much more than any person can happily chew.
Be very careful that Isadora does not have access to your smaller birds.
My Goffin is my smallest, and my worse to live with. Demanding of attention in the amount that I am unable and unwilling to give.
When this attention is not received, she can make her distressed call for hours. I do usually give in. :(
Mine is hormonal to the extreme, which means nudist Too. Luckily mine is female and aggression is not present.
Jealousy though is ever present when I have visitors, and bites can happen if you're not the chosen person of the day.
Good luck.
I absolutely understand! I would be worried too.

I do wish I could fully convey that I’m not worried for myself - I do have a nearby support system if I need outside in-person help, and given that my smaller ones (she doesn’t and won’t have access to them, don’t worry about that) all seem to have abandoned me - Tteok loves my partner more than me, Burt still hates any human contact, Pudge and Burt love each other and now Pudge would rather spend time with Burt than me - I feel like the majority of my attention is going to be showered on her.

This morning, I had the three smaller kids out, and, well, no one wanted to hang out with me :sad11: Tteok was up Jay’s nose, and Pudge and Burt were preening each other and wouldn’t even accept treats.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Well jump on in the pool. Lol
I don't have any big guys but I sure learned a lot volunteering. Give her a few days to chill out get use to the routine. Try to keep everything the same way for few days feeding, watering, bath time. She will let you know when she ready for more.
Learn to make toys cuz big bird toys are expensive. And save usable bits and pieces for Frankenstein toys. Simple things like egg cartons, boxes from oatmeal, gift wrap tubes, paper towel tubes, newspaper, phone books and wiffle balls. If you can save all the eye hooks from toys too. Keep a crap box for all bits and pieces. I learned a lot about toy making so if you need ideas shout me up. Welcome Isadora you are beautiful.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Well jump on in the pool. Lol
I don't have any big guys but I sure learned a lot volunteering. Give her a few days to chill out get use to the routine. Try to keep everything the same way for few days feeding, watering, bath time. She will let you know when she ready for more.
Learn to make toys cuz big bird toys are expensive. And save usable bits and pieces for Frankenstein toys. Simple things like egg cartons, boxes from oatmeal, gift wrap tubes, paper towel tubes, newspaper, phone books and wiffle balls. If you can save all the eye hooks from toys too. Keep a crap box for all bits and pieces. I learned a lot about toy making so if you need ideas shout me up. Welcome Isadora you are beautiful.
I started making toys when I got Tteok because you’re right - they are EXPENSIVE! I haven’t done bathtime yet for her, I don’t want to add the stress of being wet to everything else lol.

So far, she’s just… quietly observing, it seems. She’s definitely stressed, so she’s in the quietest room in the house to just decompress a little.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Congrats, she looks so sweet :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:omg:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:CRMH::rofl::lol:
I can’t believe what I am reading:rofl: I thought I was mad getting three (maybe) a secret 4th lovebird in such Short time you have climb a mountain and jump off into the sea:rofl:

she’s absolutely stunning you are very brave I hope things go well for you and she settles in quick it’s a very kind thing for you to do there’s nothing like learning hands on

have you got pics of her in her new set up ?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I absolutely understand! I would be worried too.

I do wish I could fully convey that I’m not worried for myself - I do have a nearby support system if I need outside in-person help, and given that my smaller ones (she doesn’t and won’t have access to them, don’t worry about that) all seem to have abandoned me - Tteok loves my partner more than me, Burt still hates any human contact, Pudge and Burt love each other and now Pudge would rather spend time with Burt than me - I feel like the majority of my attention is going to be showered on her.

This morning, I had the three smaller kids out, and, well, no one wanted to hang out with me :sad11: Tteok was up Jay’s nose, and Pudge and Burt were preening each other and wouldn’t even accept treats.
This is what im worried about...3 baby birds under a year old that haven't been socialized and worked with ..and problems you are having overcoming this. Yet no threads focused on that or asking for tips..

Now a new sexy big burd that's going to require a lot. What if this burd likes your partner better?

How about a thread reaching out for supporters from the forum ? She lost her cage mate and friend and her family.

Do you have her old cage? What is her set up?

Im trying real hard not to be a grinch..

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
First off, she's beautiful!

This is a massive surprise to me! I skim a lot but I don't remember you talking about cockatoos so wow! Big leap!

Secondly, I met Pixiebeak before I joined this forum. She helped me get through my first parrot Cotton's Chlamydia infection, and sometimes said things that were hard for me to hear because 1. I didn't want to admit to myself I'd jumped in to a complex situation and 2. I wanted to be perfect at all of it LOL - but her early intervention and ongoing support is 100% the reason Cotton is alive today. So I know her feeling like a Grinch is coming from a place of deep love for all of us in the parrot world - birds AND humans.

I LOVE Cockatoos - I'm super lucky that I have a local sanctuary where I can volunteer because I don't think my work schedule would be ok with a cocky, but their personalities and mannerisms across all of them are just delightful to me. I told my shift manager there that I felt like Opie, my baby Quaker, is like a 1/10th 'too - a too with training wheels - because he's just as silly and a troublemaker toddler, and wants attention all the time, but he's so much quieter and easier than a too when he's bitey or yelling lol.

I selfishly hope you post EVERYTHING about your new family member and ask lots of questions so I can live vicariously through you, since we're baby blue Quaker buddies but I sadly won't be a 'too twin at this stage. I'm sure it will take her some time to grieve her former family and settle in, but you can start working with her now to build a good relationship. Target training is my personal favorite way to establish communication after initial trust, because it translates to every animal species and you can start before she's 100% comfortable with stepping up.

Don't give up on your little ones just yet :) I'm fostering a bonded friend-pair of 30+ year old parrots and they both now are good with me, after a couple weeks of working with them individually a few times a day. Not for very long, because I work a million hours this time of year, but a little bit here and there.

I've also totally noticed that if I DON'T give Cotton some 1 on 1 time every day, our relationship takes about 20 steps backwards. He's not impressed that I spend more time with Opie even though he doesn't want to be a shoulder bird or do target training himself.

In general with all the animals I've worked with - and my kid! Ha! - I find that working on a specific behavior 5 times a day for 5 minutes is way more successful than a long session once a day. Some days it's 5 minutes in the morning and 5 at night with just out of cage time in between, sometimes it's more sessions to burn mental energy but less out of cage time because I work. And some days I find myself feeling defeated by not having enough time available for lots of free play time :/

Everyone here can help you figure out what will work the best for your household to allow all the birds to build a relationship with all of you, too :) If you keep posting pictures lol

Oh lordy :wacky: I've typed long enough I can't remember what you said in your first post that i wanted to answer!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
A few more photos of her, and her rainbow lorikeet friend she was housed with, Kiwi.
They rehomed her and kept the lorie? Oh my goodness, that's probably why she's upset. Why did they separate them?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
They rehomed her and kept the lorie? Oh my goodness, that's probably why she's upset. Why did they separate them?
I honestly don't entirely know. The lori is younger than Isadora... The best I can figure is that maybe he's easier to handle, since he's smaller? I know they don't live as long as cockatoos, so that might have played into it as well.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
:CRMH::rofl::lol:
I can’t believe what I am reading:rofl: I thought I was mad getting three (maybe) a secret 4th lovebird in such Short time you have climb a mountain and jump off into the sea:rofl:

she’s absolutely stunning you are very brave I hope things go well for you and she settles in quick it’s a very kind thing for you to do there’s nothing like learning hands on

have you got pics of her in her new set up ?
I am nothing if not (sometimes stupidly) ambitious!

No, no pics of her set up yet - It's a temporary cage while she's quarantining in a quiet room, so it's nothing super fun. She's got about a million things to chew on, food, water, perches... But right now she's just sort of huddled up, the poor thing. She's pretty freaked. I'm trying so hard to leave her alone, lol. I really just want to go in and cuddle her, but I don't want to overdo it for her.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's absolutely gorgeous! Best of luck with her setting in and hopefully she'll come around soon and be less stressed.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
This is what im worried about...3 baby birds under a year old that haven't been socialized and worked with ..and problems you are having overcoming this. Yet no threads focused on that or asking for tips..

Now a new sexy big burd that's going to require a lot. What if this burd likes your partner better?

How about a thread reaching out for supporters from the forum ? She lost her cage mate and friend and her family.

Do you have her old cage? What is her set up?

Im trying real hard not to be a grinch..
Well, Tteok is well socialized - He's the least problematic bird I have.

What I've been trying not to get into regarding Burt (and, unfortunately, it will concern Pudge as well) in this thread is that his previous owner called me about a week ago asking about taking him back, because she feels she made a mistake rehoming him. We've been going back and forth about logistics on it, and I also have to consider how Pudge would handle possibly losing Burt, now that they have bonded so intensely, so there's the possibility I might lose Pudge too. I'm honestly really heartbroken about it, because I've been working so hard on Burt, and I love Pudge so freaking much. But I did tell Burt's previous owner that if she wanted him back, to tell me, because I know rehoming a pet is so hard... I just didn't think it would be months later. I don't know. I haven't wanted to talk about it because I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, I know how *I* feel about it, but I don't know what the best option is. I don't know. It all kind of plays into my holiday season being full of crap I guess.

In my first post on the thread, I did ask questions, lol. I was going to give it a few days before I posted the same questions again just to keep from bombarding.

I don't have her old cage, they kept that as the lori was still in there. I have a large quarantine cage she's in, and she has a BIG BIG cage coming on (hopefully, delivery pending) 12/28. Right now she's in a quiet room, with toys, food and water, and I'm trying to let her chill out a little.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am nothing if not (sometimes stupidly) ambitious!

No, no pics of her set up yet - It's a temporary cage while she's quarantining in a quiet room, so it's nothing super fun. She's got about a million things to chew on, food, water, perches... But right now she's just sort of huddled up, the poor thing. She's pretty freaked. I'm trying so hard to leave her alone, lol. I really just want to go in and cuddle her, but I don't want to overdo it for her.
Have you got a large cage for her I suppose she going to need a massive one

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

What I've been trying not to get into regarding Burt (and, unfortunately, it will concern Pudge as well) in this thread is that his previous owner called me about a week ago asking about taking him back, because she feels she made a mistake rehoming him. We've been going back and forth about logistics on it, and I also have to consider how Pudge would handle possibly losing Burt, now that they have bonded so intensely, so there's the possibility I might lose Pudge too. I'm honestly really heartbroken about it, because I've been working so hard on Burt, and I love Pudge so freaking much. But I did tell Burt's previous owner that if she wanted him back, to tell me, because I know rehoming a pet is so hard... I just didn't think it would be months later. I don't know. I haven't wanted to talk about it because I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, I know how *I* feel about it, but I don't know what the best option is. I don't know. It all kind of plays into my holiday season being full of crap I guess.

In my first post on the thread, I did ask questions, lol. I was going to give it a few days before I posted the same questions again just to keep from bombarding.

I don't have her old cage, they kept that as the lori was still in there. I have a large quarantine cage she's in, and she has a BIG BIG cage coming on (hopefully, delivery pending) 12/28. Right now she's in a quiet room, with toys, food and water, and I'm trying to let her chill out a little.
I don’t mean this to sound horrible but there’s no way on earth I would be giving back burt he’s settled had a buddy and wasn’t he in a bad state when you rescued him ?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Oh so sorry @Xoetix , that's a tough decision to make. Don't feel pressured to talk about it any further- I totally get wanting to take time to think and work out what is going on. You know yourself and the birds' situations better than we do :hug4: