• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It's 2 hours past Mabel's bedtime..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is perched on her Atom. Has not bitten me yet but surely will if I push to hard.:eek:

None of the high value treats (pistachio's, almonds, blueberries) are piquing her interest unless I allow her to have her cake and eat it too.

What do I do?:eek:

andor

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Jude was doing this to me tonight, too! I shut off the lights and let him be for a few minutes, then came back and offered him a piece of Harrison's Course and he came to my hand. I cuddled him for a few minutes and put him to bed.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Put something really yummy in her cage, make sure she SEES you do it. Make sure there is no other food out. If she wants the yummy, she'll go get it. I'm having the same problem with several of my fiddos right now .. rebellious spring fever. Kismet and Jazz are still up, being stubborn. They won't bite me, but I"m too tired to give chase.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Merlie but the treat thing wouldn't have worked out because her cage is in a completely different room and it was already lights out for Sachi and Emma 2 hours ago.:)

Turning off the lights was a very good idea. Thank you for the suggestion Matt.

I turned them off and then left the room with her in the dark. When I returned she put up with a very weak struggle but did not bite. She was so tired and sleepy but just didn't want to leave the Atom tonight.:confused:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
This is why everyone is hand held perch trained here. When I extend the perch, no matter where they are, they step up onto it and ride it to their cage when I cue 'bedtime'. If someone flies off the perch, I step them up again. They get three chances to step up for bedtime and if they still refuse, then I get the big bad net out. Seeing the net is usually enough for them to step up on the edge of it and finally go into bed. It has been a very long time since I had to chase a bird and catch it in the net; years. Sunny will not ride the dowel into her cage; she is the only one. She will walk all the way down the dowel from a high perch and onto my hand, then ride my hand into the cage. Yeah, she is spoiled.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh.. everyone is stick trained here. :D

At bedtime all learned training flies out the window with Mabel and nothing is worth going to bed for.:confused:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Newman hates bedtime, he asks and asks for it, starting at 7pm "bedtime", "bedtime", "bedtime" but when I do put him in, he panics until he is covered.

Oh Newman!! :eek:When I have times like this with Mabel.. it reminds me that I need a 4th parrot like I need a hole in my head.:p

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I got Jazz in, but Kismet is being a Diva as usual. She can stay out all night .. it's fine, she'll go in her cage at some point because she'll only sleep in her snuggle tunnel.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

Oh Newman!! :eek:When I have times like this with Mabel.. it reminds me that I need a 4th parrot like I need a hole in my head.:p
4th parrot?
Do tell :evilgrin:

andor

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
Methinks she wants to scoop up the other girlie cape in Shade's clutch ;)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

TITANIS

Methinks she wants to scoop up the other girlie cape in Shade's clutch ;)
We both guessed the same thing, BTW. However, they've already been sent at the store and that means a price premium over Natacha's cost. There's nothing worse than Cape MBS... :eek:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The only two birds who will not 'bedtime' for me are the two zons. :eek: Precie is so well behaved, I hardly ever lock her in her cage. If I really need her in her cage, I just have to put a fruit treat in it and, zip:run:, in she goes. We are still working on step ups; she never had to step up in the first 25 years of her life; her original mom never used the command or insisted she do what she was told. Sigh:bash:. Pedro, of course, does nothing I ask him to. His response to the command, 'bedtime' to to fly at me and start a fight. :whack:Luckily, when I tell him bedtime, I always have a heavy towel or the net handy to manage his attack. But I think the attack has become his way of interacting with me.:( If he attacks and escapes back to his cage without me catching him, he goes to the play gym on top and I have to net him to get him in his cage. DOAH!!! He never goes into the cage voluntarily if I am in the room. If he is in his cage and I come into the room, he always rushes out of the cage to confront me; unless it is between one am and four am in the morning. Then I may have a chance of sneaking in and locking him in if I am quiet and careful. He rushes the door as soon as he hears me. :rpg1: I have to contact the bird trainer I spoke with before and see what I can do to modify his behavior some more. He and I are kind of in a rut right now. :D

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She is perched on her Atom. Has not bitten me yet but surely will if I push to hard.:eek:

None of the high value treats (pistachio's, almonds, blueberries) are piquing her interest unless I allow her to have her cake and eat it too.

What do I do?:eek:
I hate when mine pull this stunt!!!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Sam is like t his....she does NOT want to go to bed...Dub has to do a lot of coaxing....as for Mitch..she has a habit of c oming onto the cage top after all the ot her birds are covered..since she was abused, we just let her do what she wants..we are now used to waiting at least 15 minutes for t he Queen and princess to go to bed after the other birds are covered...sigh.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Elvis used to do that all the time. It's a total pain. Macs can be very stubborn!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes.. You are right Holiday.

She actually held on tight to the Atom with one foot and leaned as far as she could onto the step up sitck to reach for the treat..

Then she decided.. Rats.. this is not worth it! I'm staying on the Atom!!:D

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Wow! All of my guys put themselves to bed, regardless of what they are doing. When the sun starts to set, they get off the Atom/Crawler/Oddball/Whatever, waddle back inside their cages, sit on their roosting perches/swings, fluff up their feathers and close their eyes. They tell ME when it's bed time!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! All of my guys put themselves to bed, regardless of what they are doing. When the sun starts to set, they get off the Atom/Crawler/Oddball/Whatever, waddle back inside their cages, sit on their roosting perches/swings, fluff up their feathers and close their eyes. They tell ME when it's bed time!
:hehe: Your Lola is a baby. I used to think Sachi was perfectly easy until she reached 3..:p

Status
Not open for further replies.