• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It’s a Start!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
For a while now I’ve been putting little mini ‘birdie piñatas’ (paper with seed inside) all around the cage. I pecked at them with my fingers, and even poked a hole in them to show them how to work for it. They never put much effort into it at all. They would barely even nibble it and expect the whole thing to just pop open and all the seed to come out. Whenever they very lightly nibbled on it, and when it wouldn’t bust open for them, they just gave up. So you can imagine how surprised, yet happy I was to walk in the room and find one of the piñata’s contents gone, and little tiny beak sized holes in the paper. I was so happy. I immediately got to work on making some more. I put one in a bowl, that way all the seed wouldn’t fall to the floor. And I hung one on the side of the cage. Nico has taken over the one in the bowl, Skittles the one on the cage. And boy are they ripping it apart! I got a picture of Skittles with his; Nico wouldn’t let me get close enough - which is fine... don’t let me bother you now!
F47D06EE-34F4-4723-B80A-E5BB518AF1F4.jpeg

I’m really excited now. Now I can continue making a bunch more foraging toys.

:yah:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
0C698DC5-7E04-49C0-9882-CE9A23C940D8.jpeg
Nico has another way of working for it. Instead of carefully chewing through the paper and slowly making his way through to the goodies, he loves to pick it up, throw it around, and just hope something good falls out. :rolleyes: He nearly threw it over the edge! :p

EDIT: And oh my gosh could it be true?! They’re using their little pink feetsies! Aghh, I absolutely love it! They’ve never used their feet to hold something before, it’s so cute, especially when the ‘piñata’ is rather big for them. :D

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I love Skittles' seed face!
Sounds like Nico is really playing with it like a piñata. :laugh:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Pinatas! How funny! I make something very similar, but I have to wrap them up in those triangle coffee filters to make them last more than 5 seconds. They were a HUGE hit back when I had my Budgies, and my first Lovebird, Beep. I called them "hush packets". :rofl: Usually when they were causing a ruckus or I needed to study, I'd put a few in and all you would hear was happy munching sounds. Rupert doesn't really go for them for some reason. Sherbie attacks them and eventually removes them from the bars and body slams them all over the place.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Woohoo congrats! That’s a great first step!! Onward and upward!:bliss:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name