• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent issue with my budgie(unsure if sick after laying unfertile egg

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
issue with my budgie (unsure if sick after laying unfertile egg

Kodeek

Last edited by a moderator:

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
OMG, Thank You so much for your help! I have been on here since 9am then I signed in and still been trying to figure things out. I didn't know where to turn. She is 8, 1/2 yrs old. I've had budgies before but never a single. I knew her issues where hormone related the way she was acting. Half way through last evening, she became unvocal, fluffed and sleepy. This morning I had to check to get her up, she was still sleeping and fluffed(I know fluffed is a sign of illness) After I saw she had laid a egg under the perch where she sleeps, I thought "some" of this behaviour may be related to that. I have been watching her poop as well. She did have a poop, it looked like "black oil" with a white swirl in it. Is this normal after laying a egg? since has not pooped yet again so far today. She has not ate yet, but did get on my plate and have some of my toast with me(this is normal for her). What can I expect with her, after this egg laying experience she has had today? and can the Avian vet give her something to make her better, if she is sick? and what other signs should I watch for? I am so hoping this is all related to what she has just been through. the last 3 weeks she was in heat, and she's been just "crazy" lololo you know what I mean?
Thank You so much! as well as thank you for helping me with my 1 post on here. am not yet familiar with this site at all. I hope I can find replys to my issue and gain insight of the site
Kodeek

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Kodeek, I just wanted to say I hope she will be okay, and all will be well. I can imagine how worried you are. Thinking of you all.

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
Thank You, means a lot! I did post my entire questions/concerns, I think it went through, hope so!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope your budgie will be OK. Many times after laying an egg a hen is exhausted and will rest a lot. It is possible that some blood came out with the egg and that can be normal. You want to make sure that she is getting enough food and extra calcium since egg laying depletes calcium from the body. It probably is a good idea to contact a vet and discuss your concerns.

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
Thank You it helps, knowing people care. Can I put your name in my conversation spot. I am trying to post it but it keeps coming back "error" that a must have at least one participant. I am not sure, but I think a participant is another member. I can't seem to find answers to questions to get started. I am so worried about her, she is still asleep on my leg now.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
By the way, don't be surprised if she does not poop often. I call them "egg poops" and the hen will usually wait a lot longer before pooping. The poops are considerably larger as well. If this is her first time having an egg, she will more than likely be quite tired. Just keep an eye on her and be in contact with your vet so that they know what to expect if you need to head in.

You can scrape a cuttlebone on to her veggies/chop/sprouts to help give her extra calcium.

You can provide here with more frequent baths as well to help keep her lubricated.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank You it helps, knowing people care. Can I put your name in my conversation spot. I am trying to post it but it keeps coming back "error" that a must have at least one participant. I am not sure, but I think a participant is another member. I can't seem to find answers to questions to get started. I am so worried about her, she is still asleep on my leg now.
You can't private message until you have 20 posts or something like that.

Your bird is more than likely exhausted because of her age and I assume she hasn't laid eggs in a long time. Birds don't usually lay just one egg so there is a good possibility she has another one brewing.

What is this bird diet and fitness level (flight)? If the bird is on an all seed diet then some problems can be expected.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How is this bird doing today, Sunday?

kodeek

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I think you may be right, another egg brewing, she off n on with sleeping, seems like getting back to normal(for a minute or 2) then, right back to sleeping, wanting down my shirt, up my sleves, etc. she did have a bit to eat. I feed her cucumber, apples, lettuce, a lot with her seed. But that's about all. Is there something in particular I should give her for now? her poop is dark/black green, she only pooped 2 times so far this morning. If you think there may be another egg, any suggestions on what I should do?
Thanks JLcribber