• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Is this normal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
I am probably overly cautious about Paco's health. Our Vet thinks that he is about 30-40 yrs old, judging by his band, and an import. He also has a couple of those fatty lumps and eye problems. The fatty lumps don't usually cause any problems and the eye problem is just a battle.

Paco came to us cage bound. He is doing so good and trusts me so much now. Well, he is also very itchy and puts out a ton of dander. I was misting him but he never likes it and I didn't push it because I didn't want to compromise his trust. So tonight I decided it was time for Paco to try his first bath.

He did pretty good. I started out holding him close to me but not tight. So he could move if he wanted to but if he tried to get away he wouldn't fall and hurt himself on the hard tub. He can't fly anymore. As our vet explained, since he was stuck in a small cage for so many years and he didn't use the muscles they are pretty much gone:sad4:. Anyway, then I put him on the shower floor and he almost went to sleep just sitting there letting the mist hit him. Question number one, is that normal for them to just about fall asleep. Do they do that during rain in the wild? As soon as I picked him up he snapped out of it and was fine.

So then I was helping him dry off. I am probably too sensitive and usually want to freak out and run to the vet every time I think something is weird. Under both of his wings is, I wouldn't call it a lump or bump, maybe slightly raised softer spot. Is this just a normal part of bird anatomy since its on both sides? I have posted a terrible pic, I hope it helps.

Oh, He is a Blue Front Amazon and he seems to be acting normal. Right now he is sleeping with his beak resting on my cheek while I type this.

Thank you soooooooo much!! you guys are always so great, I'm sure I will get some great help!! :thanks:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I totally disagree with the vet that because Paco was caged so long he cannot regain use of his muscles.
Chico, my BFA, was in a cage so small he could not open his wings. He was not allowed out for about 30 years.
I moved him from that house at sea level to my house at 1.5 miles high and it took him a little bit and we had to do balancing exercises and all - but now he is a flying maniac!!! He can even do really tricky landings in tight spaces, fly downward, and all kinds of cool stuff.
I bet Paco can do it too.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That's his "wing pits" :D

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Yeah it doesnt look anything out of the ordinary for me. I agree with Debbie too. The muscles may be "weak" from him not using them, like a person who hasnt walked in a long time, but i cant see why he couldnt learn to use them and make them strong again over time. Maybe some daily flapping exercises may help. I used to do this with my Goffins when his wings were clipped too short =(

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The falling into a trance in the shower is normal,my Simba does it every time:)

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
:dance4:I'm so glad it was something so simple! lol I usually look for cemetery if I find something. If its on the other side too usually its suppose to be there. lol I was just so concerned because of his lump history. Since he hasn't had great food or the best environment and he is older I worry so much about him when I probably shouldn't. When we got him he was in an metal shed outside in the middle of winter and he was being fed sunflower seeds, another smaller black seed, and peanuts! More than likely the cause of these fatty lumps. :explode:
It is so great to know that it is possible that he can fly again!! I am always scared that he is going to fall and hurt himself. I will definitely try the exercises. Anything in particular I should do other than flapping exercises? How often?

Thanks Again!!!!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Looks normal to Me also:)My Jimmy is 25 years old(OWA) And He had been kept in a small cage and could not fly:( After a Few months being allowed to play on top of his cage,he started flapping his wings on his own,then flying short distances to me:) Now He flies every where He wants to Go! I Hope Paco will learn to fly soon:):hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.