• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this normal?

Bella.cook5

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Bella
This is Merlin hes an 8 month old English budgie. He started getting these feathers, I assumed he was molting and they'd fall out but it's been 2 months now and he just keeps getting more. I grew up with budgies but never an English budgie, I have never seen this before and Google isnt coming up with much of nothing. Any ideas?

Attachments

Bella.cook5

Real Name
Bella
This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw Merlin, but, I'm not sure if this is what it is or not. A vet visit is the best thing to do, or even a call, to find out for sure what is going on.

Feather Duster Budgies – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.
Thank you, I'll be at my vets in the next few days, I will bring Merlin in with me. The feathers seem like down feathers and they're just on his body not head, tail or wings, he was in a aviary with about 30-40 other budgies so I was wondering if it could be due to inbreeding.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Definitely doesn't look normal but not sure what it is!

Bella.cook5

Real Name
Bella
Hmmm...french molt? Early stage maybe. Does he have any obvious bare spots?
I saw a bit about French molt when I was googling but he doesnt seem to have any of the symptoms he acts happy and healthy, lots of feathers (I had to spread them while checking) and never noticed any bare spots.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If this was my budgie he or she would have been to the vet ASAP. There are several things it could be and only a vet who is familiar with birds can give you an accurate diagnosis.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hope everything is ok. Budgies are fragile little creatures. Please let us know how it goes.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

Bella.cook5

Real Name
Bella
I hope everything is ok. Budgies are fragile little creatures. Please let us know how it goes.
Yes please let us know what is causing this. I hope the poor little guy is ok
I remember seeing something that looked similar on reddit Down feathers sticking out, he's been like this for a few weeks, has anyone else encountered this? : budgies

I'm glad you're going to take Merlin to the vet soon. That's the only way you'll know for sure what's going on. I hope he'll be ok! He's so cute!
Thank you guys! I spoke to my vet and she will be seeing him tomorrow so hopefully I'll have answers very soon, I'll keep everyone updated!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I hope the vet visit and diagnosis went well for little Merlin! @Bella.cook5 - any updates from Wednesday?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
This is Merlin hes an 8 month old English budgie. He started getting these feathers, I assumed he was molting and they'd fall out but it's been 2 months now and he just keeps getting more. I grew up with budgies but never an English budgie, I have never seen this before and Google isnt coming up with much of nothing. Any ideas?
He didn't accidentally get Tumble dried did he?
Kind of like he went "poof" from static electricity!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Bella.cook5

Real Name
Bella
Hi guys! Things have been crazy around here :dead: my vet wasnt in till the Friday so I scheduled his appointment for then, my 7 year old ended up with a concussion at school so the appointment had to be moved to Monday. So I took him in she said he looks healthy, his feather structure looks healthy, beak healthy etc except for the down feathers that are not falling out on their own and a few more blood feathers than normal. She said it could be possible he got stuck in molt (could be diet hes super picky the lady I got him from only had him on millet) or a parasite. She left me with the choice to pay just over 1000$ for the beak and feather testing and that's not including treatments. So after some thought I think I am going to go through with the testing, I called today and left a message with the other vet and my vet will be calling back tomorrow to talk more about the testing and set up an appointment. I'm really hoping it is something as simple as diet and I can keep trying to get him to eat more options.:sad11:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thank you for the update! I'm sorry to hear about your son's concussion! I hope he is doing better now!

I'm glad you went to the vet. Hopefully it's just being stuck in a molt or something else not too serious.

I don't know for sure but I have to say over $1000 for PBFD testing sounds kind of excessive! I remember having my Quaker tested and the Dr mentioned something about the less expensive testing sometimes not being accurate. So he advised me to get the more expensive testing and it was somewhere between $200-$300 for that test.
Maybe call around if there are any other certified avian vets nearby and see what they charge for that. I could be wrong but that just seems like alot for a little blood test. But I am glad you will have it done. Just think it wouldn't hurt to try and see if there's a more affordable option

Bella.cook5

Real Name
Bella
Thank you for the update! I'm sorry to hear about your son's concussion! I hope he is doing better now!

I'm glad you went to the vet. Hopefully it's just being stuck in a molt or something else not too serious.

I don't know for sure but I have to say over $1000 for PBFD testing sounds kind of excessive! I remember having my Quaker tested and the Dr mentioned something about the less expensive testing sometimes not being accurate. So he advised me to get the more expensive testing and it was somewhere between $200-$300 for that test.
Maybe call around if there are any other certified avian vets nearby and see what they charge for that. I could be wrong but that just seems like alot for a little blood test. But I am glad you will have it done. Just think it wouldn't hurt to try and see if there's a more affordable option
Thank you! my son is doing much better and will hopefully be back to school by the end of the week.
This is the estimate she gave me, one of my questions for her tomorrow when she calls me is if all these test are necessary or if it's possible to do what's needed and hold off on the others, it would be unfortunate if I spend that much and hes just stuck in molt. But I rather be safe than sorry, I may look around for other prices I know there is an avian vet 4 hours from me.

Attachments

Last edited: