• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is This Mites?

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
upload_2019-1-19_16-41-54.jpeg
upload_2019-1-19_16-42-12.jpeg
upload_2019-1-19_16-42-29.jpeg
upload_2019-1-19_16-42-45.jpeg
It looks like my Ringneck has inflamed feet. At first I thought it was red dye from his toys since he dunks them all in his water dish. Now there are only a few spots on his feet that look to be inflamed. He is acting incredibly sassy and not listening at all to his normal “tricks”, step up etc. I took a few photos and I’ll try to attach them here. I rubbed olive oil on his feet, neck, and vent. I read somewhere that smothers the mites. Also I’m not a 100% if it’s just dry skin or something else. Opinions please. Also if you know of anything I can buy at the store in the meantime that can help. I will be getting him to the vet soon, waiting for the available avian vet to be back in the office.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
If your Ringneck lives indoors then it is unlikely he will have mites. Be careful of putting oil on him, it will gunk up his feathers. He looks ok to me? Might have been an allergic reaction to something since his feet are so much better now?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Your birds feet look normal . this is what mites' look like, commonly called Tassel Foot. Predominantly found in budgies , finches & canaries, chickens'. all birds could become infected .
untitled.png mites.png

Last edited:

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
upload_2019-1-19_18-8-9.jpeg
So the redness on his feet is just an irritation or allergy?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
View attachment 294615
So the redness on his feet is just an irritation or allergy?
Keep an eye on it , if it gets worse then I would make an appointment with an avian vet. What does the bottom of her foot look like ? Are you able to get a picture of the underside possibly something is going on with the bottom. Bumble foot is a common condition in companion parrots. What kind of perches are you providing for her?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What is he standing on? Are you using natural wood perches or dowels?

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
upload_2019-1-19_19-33-41.jpeg
This is the best I can get, he doesn’t like being on his back lol.
He had this perch that I tossed out yesterday when I was cleaning everything, this was when I thought he had mites, so a lot of his stuff was tossed.
upload_2019-1-19_19-36-6.png
These are the remaining 3, I tried to show its size with an envelope backing them.
upload_2019-1-19_19-37-44.jpeg
upload_2019-1-19_19-37-57.jpeg
upload_2019-1-19_19-38-12.jpeg

I’m going to the store tomorrow to buy replacements for the toys and things I tossed so if he needs different perches please show me which types.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The shackle on the ankle is also a safety hazard.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The vet needs to cut it off. The cryptic information on the band is not much use unless you know who put in on there to decrypt it for you. If you want to keep it with your valuables is fine. As long as it's not on the birds leg.