• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is This Mating Behaviour

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
So I caught one of my fichers acting a tad weird a few minutes ago. I have two in a large cage, both are unsexed and their age is unknown.

One of them was making a weird panting noise with wings spread out, and was presenting to the second lovie. That's mating behavior isn't it? So does this definetly mean I have a female?

The second lovie just ignored the first one, but I did see it preen the first ones wing feathers though. Does the wing preening mean that they're a pair?

I'm not interested in breeding them, so I make sure they don't have any nesting type materials, or places they might want to turn into a nest.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My sexed female lovebird will kind of lean onto her belly, spread her wings, tail curved up, and she makes a noise but honestly I don't know how to explain it. I don't have a male though, or another lovebird so that's all I've got! :wacky: Someone who has experience will drop in!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The strange panting noise (like a very soft click) with the wings indicates female. I wouldn´t say you definitely have a female until she lays an egg or you dna sex her. But it is a very good indication. It is definitely mating behaviour.

t I did see it preen the first ones wing feathers though. Does the wing preening mean that they're a pair?
No. They are a pair when they sit (perch) together and preen each other all over.

If they live together, what do they do all day? Are these bird siblings?
Do they play together, or ignore each other?

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
The strange panting noise (like a very soft click) with the wings indicates female. I wouldn´t say you definitely have a female until she lays an egg or you dna sex her. But it is a very good indication. It is definitely mating behaviour.

No. They are a pair when they sit (perch) together and preen each other all over.

If they live together, what do they do all day? Are these bird siblings?
Do they play together, or ignore each other?
I got them from a rescue centre and they didn't know if they were related, age or sex. They seem to do everything together. Playing, eating, and sleeping together.

So the *female* lovie is now obsessed with emptying their food bowl by kicking or throwing the food out, and then sitting in the bowl. I've tried moving the bowl but it hasn't helped at all. Any suggestions?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So the *female* lovie is now obsessed with emptying their food bowl by kicking or throwing the food out, and then sitting in the bowl.
She´s trying to nest. She does seem to be female.

I had my young hen doing this the other month. I removed the food bowl and now they eat from a small tapas dish on the cage floor. Worked a charm :)

Because the birds age is unknown, be sure to keep an eye out for eggs or signs that your bird may lay an egg, so you can watch over her.
Be sure she gets plenty of exercise, eats a good balanced diet and a little sunshine is also good. (10 minutes outside in a travel cage a couple of times a week).

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I've never seen a male spread his wings, click and lift its butt up. So most likely that one is a female. Your other bird could still be female or male. In my video both birds are female, the lutino has laid eggs before and my bird was DNA tested female. These two do not live together, the lutino was just visiting. Zara's idea for the food bowl is a good one.

Last edited:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
That's frisky behavior for sure. Your gojbg to have to be careful around her when she's in season. Careful where you touch her and how you hold her.

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
That's frisky behavior for sure. Your gojbg to have to be careful around her when she's in season. Careful where you touch her and how you hold her.
She isn't tame so I can't hold either of them. I've now seen them mating unfortunately

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I've now seen them mating unfortunately
That´s great :)
It means they are getting on well, are happy, and releasing any sexual tension with the act of mating.
The alternative would be them fighting because they are not compatible, resulting in possible injuries (or even death), and you having to split them.

What´s the problem?

(Before you say breeding, switching out an egg is so easy :) )

edit;
I just want to replace the word ¨easy¨ - I see your birds aren´t ¨tame¨, so at first you may struggle to remove the eggs from the hen who will 90% likely turn aggressive to defend them. Get someone to help you if you can (it just makes it a little easier), and feed the hen some millet throught the cage bars as far away from the egg as possible, meanwhile you have the dummy egg in your hand, move toward the egg, then drop the dummy n grab the egg. Gotta be quick or you´ll get a nip.
Because you have one bird suspected hen and they are mating, I would purchase the dummy eggs now to have them ready. Even if you end up with two hens, the dummy eggs are still handy to have :)

Last edited:

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
That´s great :)
It means they are getting on well, are happy, and releasing any sexual tension with the act of mating.
The alternative would be them fighting because they are not compatible, resulting in possible injuries (or even death), and you having to split them.

What´s the problem?

(Before you say breeding, switching out an egg is so easy :) )

edit;
I just want to replace the word ¨easy¨ - I see your birds aren´t ¨tame¨, so at first you may struggle to remove the eggs from the hen who will 90% likely turn aggressive to defend them. Get someone to help you if you can (it just makes it a little easier), and feed the hen some millet throught the cage bars as far away from the egg as possible, meanwhile you have the dummy egg in your hand, move toward the egg, then drop the dummy n grab the egg. Gotta be quick or you´ll get a nip.
Because you have one bird suspected hen and they are mating, I would purchase the dummy eggs now to have them ready. Even if you end up with two hens, the dummy eggs are still handy to have :)

Thanks, where do I purchase a fake egg from though? Should I give them somewhere to nest so it's easier to use the fake eggs?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
US; DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.
UK; Budgie & Lovebird Egg - solid (I have these)
If you are in a different country, try googling ¨fake lovebird egg¨

If you provide somewhere to nest before there are any eggs, it will encourage laying. So best not.
I like to offer a soft spot to lay once I see there are eggs about to be laid within 24 hours. Sometimes I do just get one egg from her, so I don´t like to give a nest box right from the start, I usually just offer a shallow dish of wood shavings.

StormRyder360

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
US; DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes.
UK; Budgie & Lovebird Egg - solid (I have these)
If you are in a different country, try googling ¨fake lovebird egg¨

If you provide somewhere to nest before there are any eggs, it will encourage laying. So best not.
I like to offer a soft spot to lay once I see there are eggs about to be laid within 24 hours. Sometimes I do just get one egg from her, so I don´t like to give a nest box right from the start, I usually just offer a shallow dish of wood shavings.
Thanks! So I've seen them bickering a few times, with the female nipping the other ones legs and toes, or with them both lunging at each. It will last about 30 seconds and then they'll stop. Sometimes it will be followed by then preening each other or mating. Is this normal?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
No problem :)

Is this normal?
Usually the hen will play sort of ¨hard to get¨ and nip the males toes, eventually she will allow him to mate her.
If it is serious biting or fighting then no.