• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this behavior related?

Melissamc26

Sitting on the front steps
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I adopted a 4yr old U2. He was brought to the pet store because his first people didn't know what they were getting into and couldn't handle him.
So far he is great! Just one question.
He seems really unsure of his feet. He doesn't know "step up" and when he does step up on to you he is really unsteady and wobbly on your arm. I watched him today try to grab a carrot that was sliced Inot smaller sections and it slipped out of his foot, and he couldn't pick it back up. He is ok on his perches but not as confident as any other bird I've seen. Have any of you ever seen this before? Is this a vet, or behavior thing? It's just so strange how uncoordinated and wobbly he is with his feet.
TIA

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you just got him yesterday the first order of business (as it always is) is to get him to a vet for a health check and some blood work. It could be for a number of reasons including neurological.

What kind of perches has this bird been sitting on for the last 4 years and what do his feet look like on the bottom?

Melissamc26

Sitting on the front steps
The person who had him literally left NOTHING about him, she just brought him back to the store. So I don't know. I will bring him to the vet asap!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad your helping this bird, and I hope the vet visit goes well!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. If you need help finding a vet let us know.