• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this an accurate timeline of when a particular species will be hormonal?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Bird Species / Breeding Season

Cockatiels
Can breed all year around

Green Cheeked Conures
August – October

Maroon Bellied Conures
August – October

Sun Conures
July– November

Jenday Conures
August – October

Nanday Conures
August – October

Alexandrines
July – September

Indian Ringnecks
July – September

Galahs
July– December

Corellas
September– December

Cockatoos
September– January

Moustache Parrots
July – September

Quakers
October – January o_O

Eclectus Parrots

Rainbow Lorikeets

*I got this info from
Common Breeding Season for Birds | Impulse Parrots | Bird Breeders

If this is correct I'm in for it till Jan :scared3:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
There are so many variables here it's difficult to say.

You have to remember that some of these birds are native to the Southern Hemisphere, which puts their seasons opposite of those in the Northern Hemisphere. The site you linked is Australian, so their breeding times will be different for birds in the US and Europe. The October-January breeding season for Quakers is Spring and Summer in the Southern Hemisphere, which makes total sense in this context. I highly doubt that the wild Quakers in the US are breeding in the middle of winter.

But I (personally) don't think that birds in the Northern Hemisphere are going to act hormonal based on what month it is. Rather, only what season they're currently experiencing. This change from their normal, wild cousins is made even more complicated by the fact that indoor environments are usually always good for breeding. Moderate temperatures, ample food supply, and consistent light make great breeding conditions year-round.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

You have to remember that some of these birds are native to the Southern Hemisphere, which puts their seasons opposite of those in the Northern Hemisphere. The site you linked is Australian, so their breeding times will be different for birds in the US and Europe. The October-January breeding season for Quakers is Spring and Summer in the Southern Hemisphere, which makes total sense in this context. I highly doubt that the wild Quakers in the US are breeding in the middle of winter.

But I (personally) don't think that birds in the Northern Hemisphere are going to act hormonal based on what month it is. Rather, only what season they're currently experiencing. This change from their normal, wild cousins is made even more complicated by the fact that indoor environments are usually always good for breeding. Moderate temperatures, ample food supply, and consistent light make great breeding conditions year-round.
Agreed.
So... you can control it somewhat by altering those factors (temp, food, light). I have changed light hours in the past to prevent breeding. Most recently, we were getting ready to separate male and female finches. I had read that a well known breeder used chick starter from the feed store, a chicken product, as his egg food for finches. Started using it last week. Now I have 4 pairs nesting, that had not bred all year. :bash:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

Agreed.
So... you can control it somewhat by altering those factors (temp, food, light). I have changed light hours in the past to prevent breeding. Most recently, we were getting ready to separate male and female finches. I had read that a well known breeder used chick starter from the feed store, a chicken product, as his egg food for finches. Started using it last week. Now I have 4 pairs nesting, that had not bred all year. :bash:
Interesting and good to know. Thanks guys!!

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've always found these to be a good basic guideline. In reality, Mother Nature does what she wants, when she wants. I'm never surprised when birds breed outside of their normal season.