• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is this a fair trade?

Flamer

Strolling the yard
I am giving my bonded proven pair of senegals for a dna sexed female black headed caique

The senegals are just so wild and i love my male caique hes adorable and walks around on the ground all the time like a cat.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Wait so you want to get another caique in exchange for your senegals because they're too wild for you? :huh: That makes no sense at all, cakes are much more wild than sennies.

I also don't really know why anyone would trade birds....its not like a baseball card...

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
It's very difficult for me to answer this question, because my birds are like my children. I couldn't imagine trading any of my birds any more than I could my children.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
You haven't had your senegals for very long. Why not give them time to adjust before you make any decisions?? Take away their nest box and just let them relax and learn that people are not monsters. They need a stable place and there's no guarantee than a new caique will be friendly. Caiques are known for being wild, especially when they mature. How old is your male?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The senegals will probably always stay wild and shy as breeder birds. They are just a different thing than pet birds. However, personally I'm not a big fan of trading birds. Its too easy for less than committed people to run through a bunch of birds and rehomes that way. For people that are breeding rare species and need to swap blood lines, then trading makes sense. However, for most people, if your looking at trading, I'd first suggest maybe rehome the ones you want to get rid of and then don't get anymore. To me it just seems like sketchy ethics and devalues the animal. Of course, thats just my own feeling on the matter. To answer your question though, assuming the caique is what you want, then sure its a fair trade. Since no money is really changing hands, the monetary value of the birds doesn't really make much of a difference. Its more a matter of are you getting what you really want out of it. If you are concerned with getting a "good deal" for your trade, then again I'd recommend maybe not getting more birds until you really know what you want. If you are just trading your senegals for some randome caique you haven't met yet because thats what the breeder you're making a deal with has, then again I'd say you need to look at the personalities of the birds involved instead of what your getting in terms of a "deal." You could be getting a nasty little caique that you won't like either or that wan't fit in with your current caique. Generally, I'd say get those senegals into a home where their nature will be accepted and then slow down on the bird acquisitions. Give it another year or two before deciding. MBS(multiple bird syndrome) can sometimes get to people and cause them not to do the right thing for their birds. Not saying that is the case with you, but you might want to take a close look at what your motivations are for getting another bird and if its really in the new bird's best interest and in your current bird's best interest.

Flamer

Strolling the yard
my caique is 4 years old, the owner of the female (i know him) actually offered because he wants my senegals, He has a huge aviary that he wants to keep them in, I said I would think about it. I kept the nest box away when i switched cages. But I was thinking of adding it again because sometimes they sleep in it. My conure has his own big nest box that he sleeps in. The female cake is not wild (fearful)at all from what ive seen. They are louder more bolder active birds but I don't mind that.

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also caution against getting opposite sex caiques of two different species. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see where you said what kind of caique you currently have. I'd have less of a problem with it if they were the same species. If they are different species I would suggest NEVER letting them be friends. That is how hybrids are accidentally made and you might want to consult the other caique owners here to see how their birds handle having opposite sex birds of the same species around. Some species do fine with it, others can start a little love triangle going that doesn't end well for anyone. Especially when the human starts feeling like the odd one out, isn't having their emotional needs met and decides to sell them. Or they get so lovey together, the owner can't bear to separate them and they end up producing hybrids. Neither of which are really good things to let happen.

Flamer

Strolling the yard
the same species black headed, I don't think they will mate or anything, they seem to only do that under certain conditions. But the aggression is a factor I would keep them seperated unless they got along.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
my caique is 4 years old, the owner of the female (i know him) actually offered because he wants my senegals, He has a huge aviary that he wants to keep them in, I said I would think about it. I kept the nest box away when i switched cages. But I was thinking of adding it again because sometimes they sleep in it. My conure has his own big nest box that he sleeps in. The female cake is not wild (fearful)at all from what ive seen. They are louder more bolder active birds but I don't mind that.
I would never never give away or trade my Sennie. My reaction to reading that you were "trading" them....well...I won't repeat what ran through my head! I'm sure I don't know your situation, and its far too easy to read something like this and judge...but its seems like you are asking for trouble in this community when you post about trading birds. Is that like flipping? Anyway....I feel sad for your birds...but maybe they'll be better able to handle another change than a bonded pet would.

Flamer

Strolling the yard
no way its not like flipping maybe i should not have used those words, id never let them go anywhere unless i thought they would be taken care of good in a large area. They are still special.

Last edited:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Didn't you just trade your Conures to get the Senegals?

If this guy has a big aviary maybe sell him the Sennies but I'd think long and hard about getting another bird.

Surely your Caique and Conure keep you busy and entertained?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Not that I need to ask but why did you choose the name "Flamer"? :cool:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
You know, I just cannot like or condone this post in any way. Maybe breeders do trade for blood lines etc but the whole thing makes me feel sick..

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
the same species black headed, I don't think they will mate or anything, they seem to only do that under certain conditions. But the aggression is a factor I would keep them seperated unless they got along.
I don't really have an opinion on the trade as to if it is fair or not but...I am wondering if you plan on breeding or not? If I remember right, that was your goal a few weeks ago. Are you still planning on this?

There is no reason to think that the caiques will not breed or that you can control what they decide to do. You can hope that the conditions you keep them in will prevent them from breeding but if they have access to one another then their is no guarantee.

My biggest concern with keeping a pair of birds who may decide to breed (even if this is not your plan) is their health and whether they are related or not. Do you know the history of your caique or the other caique? Where did they come from? Are they banded? can you find out anything about them? Also, hopefully they will not breed if that is not the plan but if they do are you prepared to care for the babies? Can you find proper homes for any babies that might come along?

Normally, I wouldn't ask but since you have expressed an interest in breeding I think it is important that you carefully plan what you are doing.

While you do get a lot of comments urging you to reconsider I think it is because people here really care about birds (even ones we do not personally know) and we want to help you do what is best for them.

Perhaps, the sennies would have a wonderful home with your friend, perhaps that is why you are considering the trade. I do not know.

I do know though that is difficult for birds to move and adjust. It can be done but it is stressful and stress can lead to disease and honestly, birds can die of stress.

I think you are wise to take some time to think it over and figure out what you can handle, what you ultimately want, how much space you have and how many birds you can competently provide for. If there is any way for you to figure it out and then make adjustments as needed by moving as few birds as few times that will be best.

Breeding or keeping pets really do have very different set ups and requirements, both for you and for the birds and it is an invitation to disaster or at least a lot of heartache to confuse the two.

Best wishes!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You know, I just cannot like or condone this post in any way. Maybe breeders do trade for blood lines etc but the whole thing makes me feel sick..
I totally agree with you, Anne. The whole thing makes me very uneasy... :(

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I find it very amusing that you are getting rid of the sennies for being too wild and yet you want to get a second caique. Out of curiosity how long have you had your current caique? And how old is he? They are known for being very roudy, bold, moody, and have a jeckyll and hyde described personality. I often hear they flip like a dime on emotions. They are also notoriously difficult birds, especially in regards to getting along with other birds. Some are absolutely jealous and will not allow another bird in the household - actively seeking them out to attack them (even if they are ten times larger.) There is absolutely no guarantee the two caiques will get along and I would plan for the absolute worst.

If you get a new bird and it doesn't get along with your current - they actively seek each other out to harm / kill, is that going to be an issue? Because if it is I would stop in your current tracks. This wouldn't be that rare for a caique and could very well happen. If your caique is young and you've only had him for a short time I would also wait until after he matures as personalities change at that point. If you can't handle one caique during puberty you certainly can't handle two. There's a reason my boyfriend loves caiques but I do not ever ever ever want one and have told him they are not allowed lol.

Flamer

Strolling the yard
I dont think im gonna do it because right now thiings are peaceful if i change that I don't wanna risk upsetting what is good. Like you said 2 can be really territorial and that can put the others in danger.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I actually feel that if your friend is set up with a large aviary and has experience with pairs of birds they may be a lot happier in that environment than being caged, from your posts it sounds like they are having difficulty adjusting to being caged.

Now as for trading I can't say if it is a fair deal or not, that really depends on what you want and what you expect from the caique in question, if you have met the bird and feel it would fit your expectations and life a lot better than the pair it is well worth considering.

Trading is common among breeders at least here in Australia. I did a trade several years ago for a Handraised baby GCC I had up for sale for a breeding pair of rainbows, I really wanted a pair of rainbows and the person that offered them to me really wanted a companion parrot so it worked out well for all. Trading Is not such a dirty nasty thing like some are making out, just make sure that it works out of the best for all involved especially the birds.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I agree with cheekybeaks - trading does not have to be a nasty thing and can be a benefit to all involved when done for the right reasons. But my concern in this situation is if the bird being traded for is really a better match and it also worries me about the concern if the trade is "fair". The concern should be more focused on if the birds in the trade will be better fits for their new homes. Like the example above - the pair went to a breeder and the other person got a companion.