• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is there such a thing as a good parrot for a first timer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set

Walking the driveway
This is completely the fault of this forum :rolleyes:

Now don't get me wrong, I adore my budgies and I'm growing somewhat fond of the cockatiel. But in the future, I do want to get a larger bird. But I'm wondering if there is a species that's better for first time parrot owners?

What I'd like to do is look into rescuing, though this won't be for a few years. I don't plan to buy from a breeder at this point. Really it all depends how my life changes from now until then. But I want to start researching anyway.

So any thoughts on a good parrot for a first timer?

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
It can be anything you really want! Some people say it does not matter if a first time bird owner gets a big or small bird but I think it depends on how well you think you can handle whatever size bird. If you feel intimidated by a large bird's beak then chances are you may not do well with a large bird as a first bird. I think it just depends really. As for me, I started out with a Cockatiel and I am happy I did.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you should look at different species. Learn about their behavior and requirements. If you are drawn to a specific species learn all you can. If possible spend some time with that species. Get the bird you want and are willing to devote your time and love too. That is what is a good first time parrot for you.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I started out with a cockatiel and am glad I did but it depends on the person I guess. If you have budgies and a cockatiel, maybe a conure would be good or are you looking for something slightly larger?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There are no easy large parrots. Each is different and challenging in their own ways.

The best advice I could give is to volunteer at a rescue and expose yourself to as many species as you can and interact with them so you get some "real" hands on experience with them. The best way to get a large parrot is not to select the bird but to let the bird select "you".

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't believe in a beginners bird. If your heart is set on a species, do tons of research and visit rescues that have those species. And ask a gazillion questions here :D

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
It all depends on what you click with. I suggest volunteering for a rescue and getting to know some of the different birds. My personal preference for a good larger bird for a first timer would be an African Grey. They are all going to be expensive and time consuming but out of all of our birds(all 8 of them) the *easiest* ones are my Greys. Honestly my conures are tough to handle sometimes, my mini macaw is quite the handful, my B&G macaw is super sweet but his beak is definitely intimidating and my cockatoos are of course the hardest of them all. Out of all of them though the Greys are the quietest, least demanding and most willing to please.

Just my experience though ;)

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
No, there is no good beginner's bird. The best bird is the bird you want to live with for the next 30-70 years!

Vega

Real Name
Joni
I have to agree to getting experience with different types of birds. I always thought I would have a cockatoo...thanks to my first birdie-love. Then I read more about them. Learned more about their dust issues (I had a TON of nick-nacks at the time). Learned more about their attention requirements...and the more I learned the more I thought "this isn't the bird for me". Granted, I still adore them and fall in love with every cockatoo I come across, but in a living situation I just couldn't do it. Kinda like kids, they're great to have around for a while, but the bonus to not having my own is always giving them back!

Things to consider:
Time restraints, how much time each day can you focus on them.
Finances, not just to purchase the bird, but for proper toys & cage.
Dust levels, if anyone in your house has breathing problems, air purifiers will have to be considered.
Personality, do you want a clingy bird or independent or something in the middle.
Noise level, of course all birds are noisy, but some are more-so than others. My conure is loud on a constant basis but my ekkie can bring us all down when she wants to...which thankfully isn't often.

And then, there's always those birds that make you throw everything you thought you wanted out the window. When I found my conure I was looking for a male ekkie. I thought conures were nice, but too loud. Adjusting to Harvey's noise level wasn't easy, but his sweetness made up for it. Even now, when he climbs up and just looks me in the eye, it makes me giggle...6 years later.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Besides lots and lots of research look for opportunities to be around as many parrots as possible. Sometimes something will click with a parrot you weren't even considering.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
I dont believe in beginner birds either.

I believe in research on different species, I believe that if you are going to adopt, research that specific parrot. and by that I mean, visit, and visit him often. Ask a million question. Learn THAT parrot.
Then research again. and research that particular species. Visit more, and never stop researching.

Look for personality that fits your family life. and thats not always species specific, its very often parrot specific.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I don't believe in a good first parrot idea either. My first bird as an adult was my Mealy Amazon, and he is the size of a small blue and gold macaw. What is funny is that the vet I was using at the time was training a new vet tech and was telling her "this is not a bird for beginners" when he was showing her how to towel him for a wing trim. I giggled and said "well, he was for me!" My mealy has been here for eight years now, it just goes to show that with enough research and planning ANY bird can be a "good first parrot".

Inkrose115

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie
I don't agree with beginner birds but I do think Cockatiels are by the far a good first time bird. I mean, once you see their sweet little faces you just have to have more and more. They're gateway birds.
:lol:

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
If you can say what sort of personality and size etc you're looking for I'm sure we could narrow it down for you. Like bigger or smaller than a tiel etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.