• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is she a stray or not?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hi Guys!
I am at my dad’s house and friday night(after one O’clock at night) when I was walking the dog on his last walk, I saw a shape on the road. I went to investigate and it was this really small cat. She didn’t let me close and went into a big pipe covered by plants. I stayed for a bit and then left. When I turned around to look back, she had come back out again. So I went back. She let me a bit closer this time.
This morning I saw her trying to catch an animal at 7 O’clock(sunday). I followed her and tried not to scare her. She went back to the pipe. Eventually she let me Come really close to her, about 30 cm. She is a small cat, not veeery skinny but she could benefit from a good meal. Is it safe to assume she is a stray? She has no collar or anything. No cats missing around here. I have never seen her before, but on friday night I also saw two other cats, I have lived her for 5/6 years now and rarely see a cat.
I would hate to take away someone cat of course, but I would also hate for her to be out there without a home and possibly get hit by a car(the other end of her pipe comes out on a busy road) Should I catch her if I can?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I would. I'm not sure if you have them in your country, but, do you guys microchip animals? If so you could always catch her and have that checked. Regardless, she would be safer not living in a pipe.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think I would try to catch it and find out if it is indeed a stray or if it is microchipped. If it is a stray there is a great chance you will not get very near to it as true strays will never trust a human.
If she is possibly a cat who has just become misplaced or has been dumped I dare say some yummy smelling food would bring her to you.

What do you think you would like to do if it does come to you and is a stray? Are you wanting to give the poor kitty a home?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you two so much! I was really torn on what to do:)
Some people here microchip, but if she is a dumped cat, that is what seems most likely to me at this point, I doubt they would have been caring enough to chip her:( Hopefully she is though so at least I could make sure she either has a home or is not wanted there anymore.
I approached her very slowly, showing my open hands, stopping when she got scared etc., she was not keen on human contact but if approached slowly she stayed. I have been getting closer Each time so I hope with Some food I can catch her!
I am unsure wether I can give her a home. I am deeply thinking about it but am not sure it would be best for her and the fids. Right now they live with to cats in the house as well, I can easily keep them seperated though. When I move out I would take her and then it might be trickier. The shelters here are no kill though and not very full. I might find a home for her with my friends if I decide it wouldn’t be best to keep her. She has the sweetest expression on her face, I think she can win anyone for her:xflove:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am glad this little kitty has someone looking out for her. I was not meaning to make you feel like you should keep and house her, I was asking more because I was curious about your thoughts for her. I think if there is a possible home out there for her then it would be great for you to get her ready for some loving. It makes me sad thinking about her not having someone to love her but makes me happy to know you are looking out for her.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I
I am glad this little kitty has someone looking out for her. I was not meaning to make you feel like you should keep and house her, I was asking more because I was curious about your thoughts for her. I think if there is a possible home out there for her then it would be great for you to get her ready for some loving. It makes me sad thinking about her not having someone to love her but makes me happy to know you are looking out for her.
Oh no you didn’t! But I was thinking about it from the start:shy::D Also if the shelters were overly full like in Some places taking her there might be a death sentence so I was thinking about that too. I am still doubting wether I should take her or not. I have a really close friend with two cats he loves though, I would trust him with her without a doubt! Perhaps he is interested in getting another fur baby:xflove:
Just checked for again, no sign of her. There are more people now so I guess she is sleeping. I think she avoided busy times and is active at night and in the early morning. I went a little closer to her pipe, there is a little path to it and the stuff inside seems flattend put as well.
FE6F2904-E89C-4321-93B7-1EEC7C0FF9FA.jpeg
I couldn’t get closer as there were Nettles closet to the road and I had shorts on:p Sadly I am leaving tonight, and then it Will be two more weeks before I get back.. I have developped a weak spot for this kitty really quickly, she is mostly white with a grey striped tail and spotted face:heart:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
She sounds delightful. I hope you don't worry yourself sick about her while you are gone.
Hopefully you will be able to find her a home and save her so she can have a better life and learn what it is like to be loved.
You are a treasure for looking out for her when nobody else is.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
She sounds delightful. I hope you don't worry yourself sick about her while you are gone.
Hopefully you will be able to find her a home and save her so she can have a better life and learn what it is like to be loved.
You are a treasure for looking out for her when nobody else is.
Thank you! It’s my pleasure:p I have stuffed Some dog food in my coat, am going to check wether she is there again in a couple of minutes.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would but I am gone for almost two weeks at a time:o: I couldn’t find her yesterday. So now I have to wait till next time I am there. Did find a young hurt blackbird though:xflove: So off to the bird rescue:laugh:
76D7C52E-A232-44FF-9702-61EAE56386A5.jpeg 829C30A8-C712-499B-843D-30077DB9533A.jpeg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You are such a caring soul, good on you for looking out for those that need help. There should be more people like you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have been through this a few times. She is definitely a feral cat. It takes a long time to gain the trust but is possible. If you feed her on a regular schedule it helps but if you cannot find her you cannot do this. Best way is through a trap and usually the humanins society will give you one. Then this organization should take her and spay her and clip ear and re release her to you.

When I took on the responsibility of trapping and feeding a beautiful male feral cat it went on for 4 years. He went into a panic if indoors so it was not possible to take him in. The average life span of a feral cat is but 2 to 3 years and he lived for 4. Eventually he was injured in a very bad fight and I had to put him down. He was in so much pain and misery he actually crawled in my lap and then the carrier. I will forever remember him.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I think she is a stray. She is not a feral for she would not even come within sighting distance of you if she was. The fact that she is catching her own meals and living in a pipe tells me that she has either been abandoned or is lost. I would say the former.