• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Is my male DNA sexed cockatiel actually a female based on new behavior he's displaying?

TINY PETE

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!
So I have a 10 month old cockatiel who seems to be a pied pearl mutation and the breeder did a dna test (I paid for) when he was about 1.5 month old, since I wanted to ensure I was getting a male.
On the documentation I received it says male and his band number is on it as well. It's on his right leg, if that matters.

Now, he has molted and hasn't lost too many pearls, but I assumed it could be because he's pied.
He isn't whistling tunes either, but he is very chatty and answers all day with peeps and what sounds like he's saying "oui oui". He flock calls for ages if you go somewhere. He's not a quiet bird, he loves playing with toys and is obsessed with my knitting and crochet projects. Also runs at speed of light and loves doing the "big wiiiings".

The thing is that he has recently started to crouch down on his perch and on top of his cage, he sort of flattens a bit and does this sad sounding "peeeep". He's been doing it for a few days and I've sometimes seen him subtly fluttering his wings while doing it, but not always.
He eats, drinks, plays and sleeps as normal, but he'll occasionally do that out of nowhere and he snaps out of it when I get too close or talk to him, which is why it's hard to get it on video but I managed to film a bit.

It kinda looks like female mating behavior, but we're hoping that's not the case. We still adore him regardless.
We've had birds in the past and we currently own a quaker parrot and three budgies, but Tiny Pete is our first cockatiel ever so I'm asking here to see what experienced cockatiel owners have got to say.
Do males ever behave like this or is he a she?
Could it be baby behavior I'm misinterpreting? Although he'll turn one soon, so I doubt it.
I'll attach a few pictures of him and a hopefully working video link.

Thank you!

Attachments

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You could always get him rechecked just to make sure. I would think by 10 months he should be singing... Do you whistle a particular tune to him often? My male tiel sings "If I only had a brain" because I whistled it to him constantly from the get go.

TINY PETE

Checking out the neighborhood
You could always get him rechecked just to make sure. I would think by 10 months he should be singing... Do you whistle a particular tune to him often? My male tiel sings "If I only had a brain" because I whistled it to him constantly from the get go.
I can't whistle for the life of me, but I put on YouTube videos for him and the cookie song. He gets the zoomies every time, he chirps excitedly but doesn't really seem to listen. I have caught him sort of singing quietly a few times, but no tunes in particular. More like happy bird sounds that almost reminded me of my female canary who'd sing in the evening, not whistling.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
My tiel is a 6 year old female (female colouring and dna tested) and she does not whistle any tunes. She does stick her butt in the air or against something when hormonal, and sometimes her wings will slightly “jitter”.

in the video, it does look similar to my tiel when she is about to start getting hormonal , she eventually starts rapid chirping, and I try to distract her. I think you have a female, but I can’t say for certain. Do you know the mutations of your tiel’s parents? For example, if your tiel’s mother was not pearl, we can then assume it is a female. Male pearls need both parents to be pearl, while females just need the father to be pearl (sex linked mutation) .

since your tiel has female behaviours and did not loose the pearl pattern at all (not one pearl), I would assume female. From what I’ve read, male pearl pieds usually lose at least some pearls each molt.

does your tiel display any other male behaviours like heart wings and beak banging (wood pecker)? Oddly, males can display female hormonal behaviour, but it is usually only in the presence of another male cockatiel ( a male will act like a female and assume the female bottom position sometimes to “get frisky” with another male - lol ).

Last edited:

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
beak banging (wood pecker)
OMG that annoying thing my Pepper does is normal for male tiels?? I had no idea I thought mine was just crazy lol! :roflmao: