• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my led lantern too bright?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I bought this lantern from Menards today just incase our power goes out tonight (having an ice storm)

20190205_215010.jpg

I picked it because it's nice and bright. I have another lantern (that doesn't use batteries) that I used last time our power went out, but it was so dim that it barely helped and Blu was still a bit scared. So I thought brighter would be better but this new one is so bright that I am blinded at the moment from looking at it when it was lit.

It even has a warning on the box
that says - Warning: LEDs are extremely bright and direct exposure to eyes may cause injury. Avoid shining LED into eyes.

P.S. I hope bright is ok because I actually also bought 2 more online that are even brighter. They were being discontinued so they went from $30 to $5. They are 2000 lumen
https://www.menards.com/main/guides...245-c-6314.htm?tid=4495350325130771154&ipos=1

They should arrive next week. I wonder if they got discontinued because they're not good for your eyes though? Cause who wouldn't want a bright lantern as long as they're safe, right?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They're perfectly safe. Just don't stare at it. The sun will blind you if you look at it. You still go outside in the sun.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
They'll be pretty bright. I have a 1000 lumen hand torch and that can fill a room on it's own.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
My birds don't seem to enjoy having lights they can directly look at. I would recommend never having them too close to the birds and perhaps softening them somehow by putting behind a plant and/or piece of fabric when you need to use them.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks everyone! I think if I ever have to use it by Blu, I'll put it behind something like Davi said, because I swear my eyes actually hurted until I went to bed last night. I was really nervous that I had damaged my retinas. And my eyes are not usually sensitive to looking directly into the sun. That thing is super bright! Lol

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You could always put a lamp shade or something over it to diffuse it a bit if you're worried :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It looks like it has 2 settings so consider using the lower one with a hand/kitchen towel over it to dim it if it's still too bright.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It looks like it has 2 settings so consider using the lower one with a hand/kitchen towel over it to dim it if it's still too bright.
Yes, I briefly checked out the lower setting last night but I didn't do it in the dark so I'll check out how good it can light up the room on low tonight. Thanks for reminding me!