• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my conure making my budgie hormonal?

g4briella

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone, my female budgie (Ocean) and my female pineapple conure (Zendaya) are extremely close. So close that I believe that Zendaya is making Ocean hormonal. Ocean constantly lays eggs but immediately abandons them and will go right back to feeding Zendaya. I’m just trying to figure out if Zendaya is making Ocean hormonal or if it’s just Ocean. They live in the same cage because I’ve noticed that they almost seem depressed when they’re apart. They won’t eat or play, they just sleep, so I keep them together. Ocean is also really bossy and will even bully Zendaya at times, but Zendaya does not care. All Zendaya wants is to cuddle with Ocean even if Ocean gets annoyed. So once again, is Zendaya is making Ocean hormonal or is it just Ocean?

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Their behavior does sound like a mating-pair bond to me-- not unheard of.

I don't have experience with female budgies, personally, so I'll defer to someone else on what steps to take with the egg laying, but I know that other people will mention that, even if they are very loving toward each other, there is the possibility with hormones and sexual frustration that the budgie could get hurt by the larger bird. I can understand why seeing them sad would make you want to put them together, but being in the same cage really isn't a safe solution, and, as you suspect, it might be making both of them hormonal and frustrated. Have you tried housing them separately, but next to each other? Where they can hear and see but not touch one another?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Budgies boys ( at least mine) are hormonal nearly all the time ;)

You need to get Ocean out of the hormonal loop. One way is to have dummy eggs, or leave the eggs maybe in a shallow dish. If she spends some if the time brooding them , it will help finish out the hormonal loop...

It can become dangerous and deplete her to keep laying eggs... A veterinarian consul my be needed.

Splitting them up at night to separate side by side cages might be an idea ...and out together during the day .....but I really do not know the best answer . ......for bonded birds I do not like separate them completely..but of needed keeping in side by side cages skears but allowed out together and Time together might work too.