• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is my cockatiel dying..?- Sad Update Post #18

Troleibusas

Moving in
Real Name
Victoria
Hello.
My female cockatiel Emmie caught a cold a few days ago after taking a bath. I hoped that getting her to a vet and giving her some antibiotics would help her, but I am afraid she is feeling even worse. She doesn't eat, drink or move, her body is weak, all she does is sit on the bottom of her cage with both wings on the floor and she sometimes can't even lift her head. She also gets spasms in her whole body from time to time. She always rests on a heating pad I bought her the first time she got sick. She is 7 months old, going through/finishing her first molt. The whole thing has been going on for about 6 days now. Is there any chance of her surviving? I know it was my fault, but as stupid and immature it may sound, I am just not ready to lose her.
EDIT: I am so sorry I realised I posted it in a wrong place

Last edited:

Troleibusas

Moving in
Real Name
Victoria
She just listened to Emmies heartbeat and breathing, no tests. I will take her to the vet again tomorrow.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would call the vet right now and tell him she is getting better. How long has she been on the antibiotics? And do you know what kind she is on?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Don't take her to the same vet. Try to find a different one- if you're having trouble finding one, try calling local shelters and pet stores for help finding someone new who knows what they're doing for birds tonight and take her in asap.

Troleibusas

Moving in
Real Name
Victoria
It is nearly midnight here and I don't have any way of transporting her at the moment, I am still pretty much a child. I will find a different vet, it's just that my country doesn't have much certified avian vets, but I'll definitely contact local pet stores to see what they can find.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she will be okay, and I doubt she is this ill from a bath, unless it was like 40 degrees or colder. Most likely she had something going on already, so don’t beat yourself up. You do need to take her to a knowledgeable vet ASAP. I hope you can find one, and keep us posted.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Please keep her warm. I hope she gets better soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with others. Vet ASAP. Hope your 'tiel will be OK. Is the heating pad in the cage? Do you have towels on top of it? Is there an area without heating pad so if she gets too hot she can move over?
Is she eating or drinking anything? Important to make sure she is at least getting fluids. Vet should at least do a gram stain (not invasive) or culture and blood work (can be stressful) might also be necessary but it depends on her condition and ability to deal with the stress caused by those tests.

Troleibusas

Moving in
Real Name
Victoria
The pad is in the cage, with a towel over it. There is plenty of space for her. She rarely eats, never drinks, so I use a syringe to squirt some water while she is biting it. She only gets a few drops that way but it is better than nothing.

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Just keep her warm and comfortable, make sure she has fluids, but please vet care as soon as possible.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad she's improving !

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well go visit her at least as it will make her happy to see her flock and that will help her get better as well. When Nerd bird got sick for the last time when he was pretty old they let me talk to him and reach in and touch him when he was in the oxygen box they used. It perked him up well enough he got to go home but age and whatever it was was too much and he left us a week or so later but he liked being with me and it helped him feel safe and loved.
I'm happy she is doing better and hope she gets to come home soon back to being herself.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's good news. If she has to be there a few more days then go visit with her and bring some of her special treats with you.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Glad to hear she is doing better. I recommend no longer squirting water down her beak. It's very easy to aspirate them. Cockatiels in general drink very little water. They get their water from the foods they eat. Feed her tons of vegetables and leafy greens and she'll stay hydrated. Provide her her water dish still so she can drink when she feels like it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad she’s improving, and thanks for the update!!

Troleibusas

Moving in
Real Name
Victoria
Final update. I wish I didn't have to say that, but my dearest Emmelie passed away a few hours ago. When my parents brought her home she was still alive, but when I came back from school she was already lying on the bottom of the cage. I just hope that she is flying high now that her suffering is over. I thank all of you for your support, I wish your loved pets strength.

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
when i read that last comment my heart sank and I started to shiver:sadbye:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award