• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is love the most important thing? (Update Post #20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would take the time to educate.. sure they are a pair and out and about all the time with people, but they need so much more than that....

Quality of care is most important and then love. If it was just about love, us animal lovers would be ok with bird mills and hoarding situations.

Last edited:

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
This is hard for me because I have people who are close to me that love their birds with all they know how but do not look for ways to improve their birds' lives. They've had birds for years, long before I have and don't have any respect for me or what I know/say because of that. How do you go up to someone who has had birds for 20+ years and say that everything they are doing is wrong? Especially when their birds "seem" so healthy and relatively happy?

For instance, I have an awesome vet who specializes in birds, but sees other animals as well. I've told an experienced bird person about my vet and how happy I am with her and that this person should really go to this vet, but she doesn't. Even after she told me that she took her B&G in to have a blood feather pulled and the vet didn't know if she should "stitch the whole closed" :omg: :(

I just have to close my eyes and tell myself that their birds are happy. My birds, I think are happy but the more I give them, it seems the more they want or expect. If that makes sense. I feed them numerous times a day... they get a breakfast of their seed, nut, fruit, cereal mix, then a lunch, then a snack, and then they eat portions of our supper. If I am eating anything or miss one of their meals, by golly they tell me!! Spoiled little so and sos!! ;)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Oh yeah, the 15 parrot guy can put the grey on its back, in the palm of his hand, the grey curls into a little ball, and he tosses it into the air, while it spins around :faint: almost like he was juggling :eek: the grey made a little cluck and whistle when it was done!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Sherry,
My birds are the same, the more I give the more they expect, they are brats.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My birds walk all over me but I wouldn't ask less from them:heart:.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Well, I went to talk to the guy with 15 birds. He was calling the guy with two macaws down. He said that he is trying to make it illegal to do what he does, which is, leaving them unattended, hitting them :sad1: and plopping them on tourists to get pics taken :(. The 15 bird guy says the other man is a drug addict :(
Hitting them? OMG. That's horrifying (if true)
It seems typical that one fellow is complaining about the other - his competition.
You didn't seem to get a really bad vibe from the 2 macaw guy, right?
Whatever the real story is, I stand by what I said. Love on its' own is not good enough, and shame on the guy with 2 macaws for not providing a proper diet to these birds.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Consider those two men are probably competitors, and will never say nice things about eachother.

There are animals experiencing substandard care all over the world, everyday.....sad but true... :(

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Friends just came back from Hawaii and they all had their pics taken with a lot of birds at one of those places. She had to tell me that she thought I would be very happy to know that these birds were eating their broccoli, she knows my birds love broccoli :lol:
If it's the same place as in my profile pic, those birds were both loved and well taken care of...I definitely did not feel bad for them enjoying Hawaii weather, socializing, and living the good life! And it wasn't always the same birds, so they were not being overworked either.

On topic...I don't think love is ENOUGH when you are able to do better. BUT, I'd rather see birds loved and cared for, even if it's not completely proper nutrition, than unloved because unloved = terrible conditions. Worse than those who love but do not know any better. At least the birds are getting enjoyment out of their life, which is better than it could be for them. Of course, in a perfect world, all bird owners would be AA peeps...but that's never going to happen.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
On topic...I don't think love is ENOUGH when you are able to do better. BUT, I'd rather see birds loved and cared for, even if it's not completely proper nutrition, than unloved because unloved = terrible conditions. Worse than those who love but do not know any better. At least the birds are getting enjoyment out of their life, which is better than it could be for them. Of course, in a perfect world, all bird owners would be AA peeps...but that's never going to happen.

I agree. Genuine love never involves abuse or severe neglect. People who "say" they love their birds but abuse them clearly do not really love them, and liars or people with a pathological need to control animals and call it "love," are not relevant to the question--those types don't know what love is. If the question is about real love and affection and maybe substandard care (but not abuse--again, I think Elvis is a pretty good example of this) then it really does become an interesting question because where do we draw the line? Personally, I think love is crucial.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Was it the guy in the international village in Waikiki?
He said his one Too started to pluck, i thought that was pretty darned good if he has 20 birds, to find only one that plucks.

I wish I could trust my instincts and say the two macaw guy with the ratty BGs was good, but I am a softie when people say things, I believe them until I see otherwise.

If it's the same place as in my profile pic, those birds were both loved and well taken care of...I definitely did not feel bad for them enjoying Hawaii weather, socializing, and living the good life! And it wasn't always the same birds, so they were not being overworked either.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
This is how I feel...
If i had to chose between the two (love and good care), I would say love takes priority.
I would rather my bird have a short life full of love and happiness, then a long life of loneliness.

That being said, no love isn't just enough, in general. Birds are complicated creatures that need to have BOTH their emotional and health needs satisfied in order to have a long and successful life.

But even if a bird is given the best food, tons of toys, and a beautiful cage - without the social aspect (as birds are very sociable creatures), I can't see it thriving.
It amazes me to hear stories from rescues of birds that lived in terrible conditions, but still had the capacity to love and trust because their owner loved them.
I think that is enough reason that between the two, love trumps care.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think that people do with what they know. :)Often you don't know what you don't know UNTIL you know.

With that said I think that when you KNOW better you MUST do better.:) People say that ignorance is bliss. I do not feel that ignorance is bliss at all. Ignorance leads to ALOT of very bad things.:(
I agree completely.....

I do think :heart: Love :heart: is the most important thing.... and this is why education is so important!

If you truly love your bird (or any pet) you will not do harmful things to it once you know what is harmful.....

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Was it the guy in the international village in Waikiki?
He said his one Too started to pluck, i thought that was pretty darned good if he has 20 birds, to find only one that plucks.
No, I was in Maui in Lahaina. I'm going back in June, so now I'm going to ask him some more questions about his flock! :D

If you truly love your bird (or any pet) you will not do harmful things to it once you know what is harmful.....
AGREED!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Andrea I remember the pic you used to have in your avatar and when my friend posted pics I thought of yours. They were holding a HY, GW, B&G, Rosie and Eclectus. Not sure where in HI they went though

Flit

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
Love is always enough as it is love that compels devotion to good care and upkeep. Now, what "good care" and "upkeep" means will differ from person to person depending on their values and what they've learned and decided is best for their pets...but love always compels us to provide the best we can by the means we are able.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Andrea I remember the pic you used to have in your avatar and when my friend posted pics I thought of yours. They were holding a HY, GW, B&G, Rosie and Eclectus. Not sure where in HI they went though
Trade the GW for a Scarlet...and there you go!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Love the pic!
Darn it, I should of had one done.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i have to laugh the dooo gooders disaplin out the window , im not talking beatings im talking a swat on the bottem im talking if a dog goes to bite are you going to be stuped enough to let it .

look at kids today no respect touch me ill have you charged had that with my own grand son he called every on he could on his mom other
grand ma you name it he called , well i warned him he was due for a licking if he didnt smartn up and he got it , i handed him the phone he asked whats this for ???? i said report me , he laughed and said no you love me .
so much for keeping your word good or bad i always did
as for hitting animales i dont realy beleave in it butttttttttt
i have and will corect anyyyyyyy animal dog cat bird
if you love your animal you dont alow it to distroy your home lo or your kids either , rules respect disaplin goes to gather with love health and
food
i know ill be told off for my feelings it wont be the first time ot last well could be but im sorry time out dont work on kids or animales
guiding them not letting them disrupt or distroy a tap never hut any one even a bird but a bite sure does
when talking to people about birds i always stress good food habites
all strangers , i preach to if they dont like it they can leave,,lol

ok off the band wagon im sorry but , i for one beleave love and disapline
go hand in hand not time out nothing wins more than love
heck we need to look at our diets befor complaining on what birds eat
yep me to love all the wrong food

hugsssssssssssssssssssssss

Status
Not open for further replies.