• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it safe to take a senegal out on a harness?

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Hi!
I have a 12 weeks old senegal parrot. I love her so much. For the longest time I've wanted to show her the world outside of my house, and was planning to get a harnass when she's full grown so I can take her out on little walks sitting atop my shoulder or in my jacket hood (which she has decided is her nest, and she naps in constantly as I'm wearing it) but I've begun to worry about her safety. I've consitered a small bird carrier, but she doesn't like being in one too much. Does anyone know how safe taking a bird on a harnass is, or what kind holds up the best and is least likely to cause an escaped bird?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Aviator harnesses are considered the best and safest. Nothing unsafe about a harness as long as you watch thethe bird and condition it properly (,an instructional video comes with the harness)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Aviator Flight Harnesses are the best! :D

Don't wait, though! Start that training early as it's much easier to get a youngster to accept a harness. :) I didn't have the harness yet when I started training Rowan, so I used some ribbons (indoor only; just to get him used to the idea of straps going over his head/under his wings) until it arrived. :lol: