• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible to teach "No" ?

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Although a lot of people are fine using a method like that, it's not one that I'm personally a fan of. It can cause undue stress in a bird. Stress is not healthy.
I really do get what you're saying and how this is not a solution that would work for most. We had been unable to find anything that can compete with the tablet case, weird I know. He could not be distracted, if we ever got him to take something else he's just immediately throw it away as if to say "Get that stuff out of here!". In this particular case the red wash cloth doesn't stress him out by being in his line of sight (Which I know it would with some objects and birds!) he just will not step down onto it, but acts totally relaxed if not. He's totally fine with other towels and enjoys chewing on them.

@Laurie and @Mer Boy the drop command is a great idea and I've started working on it since viewing the video Mer Boy posted! I can see many situations where this will come in handy. I'm also excited to find this new set of videos of Barbara teaching!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
If Henry gets hold of a mobile and starts chewing on it. We tell him no, take it from him and place the Mobile Phone in a drawer. If they can't see it they can't chew it.

Tessiebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
I was able to teach my cinnamon conure 'no' by putting my finger under her chin and just raising her head away softly from whatever she's chewing (usually my glasses) Now she knows that when she listens I'll pet her head and praise her so I guess it's still a form of positive reinforcement.