• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible to gain trust of 20 year old neglected Sun Conure?

SerenaSun

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all, thank you in advance for any information you can give me as I have tried to do a lot of research and I can not seem to come to a particularly good information or method in my case for my bird. My case is rather embarrassing and complicated and I am trying to do right by it now. I have a 20 year old sun conure that has recently, like a month ago, become mine now that my dad can no longer take care of her.

We got her when she was almost a year old and unfortunately she came to us already abused and traumatized by the small shop owners who would reach into the cage and grab the birds with a glove (this store went out of business shortly after). Because of this, from the start of having her, she was aggressive and untrusting toward hands. However, my dad had made it his mission to get her to say "pretty bird" as as he was the first one up in the morning, he would talk to her (saying "pretty bird pretty bird" to her over and over) and feed her so she bonded with him. I was a child at the time and could not understand or handle a bird, so she never had any bond to me even though she has known me for so long. After bonding with my dad, she especially became more aggressive toward me and my mom and would not even let us change her water or food. For the past year now my dad's dementia has now been getting worse and I have moved back in with him to take care of him and the pets, my mom is out of the picture now.

Now for the more embarrassing part, even though my dad provided our Sun Conure (Serena) with everything she needed for thriving in her cage, he never did socialize her well or get her out much except for once in a while and she has become a very cage bound bird. So I do have to admit my parents were not the best bird owners and she has been a neglected bird with not being socialized and probably bored, and I feel terrible about it. My dad was also told to feed her this one particular sun conure mix diet of seeds we get from a bird farm close to us, and now since I am taking over her care and have done more research than we were ever previously informed, I did not know she needed a way more balanced diet. I have since started trying to feed her some more veggies and grains and fruits (and now starting pellets) by mixing it in with her seed but she does not seem to touch anything except the seeds and will forage around in the mix just for the seeds. If I only give her the mix of a sun conure recipe I found on another forum, she does not touch it at all.

She is extremely cage bound (and cage aggressive) and I have been doing everything I can to show her that my hands are not threats but she does not at all trust hands. So it is not like she does not know me exactly as I have always been around the house and throughout her life interacted with her many times and never in a negative way (mostly she would just be on my shoulder for a few minutes while my dad cleaned her cage, but then my dad would take her back), but she just still has such anger and aggression toward me. When she is out of her cage she does not seem to have this aggression and just is more wary and concerned of everything and wants to do whatever she can to fly back to her cage if possible. I have had my dad help take her into another room and I was even able to give her head pets and had her on my hands a few time, but she entirely just wants to stay on my shoulder. My dad can no longer get her out of her cage so the few times I have tried was by having her step up on my hand while she is at the edge of the door and she bites me hard but steps up and I put her on my shoulder. Halfway out of the room, however, she will fly back to her cage. The primary problem, however, is still getting her out of the cage and the aggression and anger she shows me while she is in her cage.

However, I have had some progress in the last month of trying to gain her trust as she no longer attempts to absolutely murder me when I change out her food and water and I can open her cage and put my hand just outside while it is open it to try to see if she will come to me without her directly going to attack me. It is when I get too close or try to have her step up that she bites me really hard. I also can now offer her food that she sorta takes out of my hands... except she doesn't eat it. I give her longer things (because otherwise she bites my fingers) like apple or bell pepper strips and she will bite it, throw it out and away and then aggressively take another bite of the food and throw that away too. She is not necessarily afraid of me, more afraid to come out of her cage and just angry and aggressive toward me getting too close, but when she is out of her cage and not within any sight of it she calms way down. I don't know when or how I would be able to target train her because she does not seem to want or accept any treats I give her, she just grabs and spits it out.

I know it is not very long that I have been trying to regain her trust and I still have a long way to go and I will continue to try to do it, I just wanted to check in with you all if I can do or should do anything else. I feel bad that she has not gotten what she should have had all these years to have a happy and fulfilling life and I am trying to do what I can to make however much time she has left much better for her and would really appreciate if anyone can help offer me some guidance for my case. Thank you all.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing is impossible with love, that's what I believe. But it will be a tough job. All the best for your journey.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
You shouldn’t be embarrassed 20years ago bird/parrot animal care was very different to what it is now and it’s always changing animal care the main thing is you are trying now to make her life better

I am so sorry your dad as dementia I know how difficult it can be

have you got any pictures of her cage set up might help people help you more to improve her environment?

have you totally rearranged her cage added new toys etc might help with cage aggression my female lovebird can be aggressive and when I change her she settles down

when Trying to change mine from seed to pellets I put pellets in their bowl in morning but make sure they have their seeds around cage but in foraging toys like wheel or hanging puzzle box stuff millet in toys nurtberries in toys etc
Then 2hours later I put seeds back in their bowl I’ve found this works well

Is their any seeds in the mix that’s her favourite maybe try feeding them on a open palm when the pellets are in bowl
Millets good as a treat as you can make it as long as you like slowly making it small so it’s near your fingers
@Pixiebeak gave me a good idea to have a treat bowl every time I went pass cage drop a treat in bowl and just have a chat

good luck hopefully in time she comes around to you

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry to hear about your father's help. Please don't feel embarrassed. You're doing so much to help your dad and this bird, and that is commendable!

The first parrot I had as an adult was a very angry Meyer's I adopted when she was 17. She bit me and hated me at first, but came around. Granted, we started off fresh, though, and didn't have the long history you have with your dad's bird. I would suggest:

- Place a special food bowl in her cage and drop a treat in there for her instead of trying to feed her by hand. She might take it less personally that the treat is in the bowl vs in your fingers. Once she's reliably eating that treat (several days or weeks) out of the bowl, then trying feeding it by hand over the bowl.

- Spend a lot of time near her cage just watching TV, reading, talking to her, etc.

- She'll always be wary if the only time you're around her cage you're cleaning it, changing food and water, or asking her to take a treat from your hand. If you're always asking something of her when you're around her cage, it'll stress her out.

- Set up a play stand or tree across from her cage so she has somewhere to go when she leaves her cage. Hang treats and toys where she can see them from afar.

- Open the door and let her come out on her own terms. Don't expect her to step on your hand first.

- In terms of her diet, I would not offer her seed mix at all. Only offer pellets but make sure you are around to monitor her eating and ensure that she's eating. I would stick with the healthy food and not cave in and offer her seed mix. I've converted three parrots this way and none of them starved themselves.

Good luck!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Thanks for stepping up , and arming yourself with more knowledge!

Absolutely you can make a difference and it's never to late!!

If you can secure all the cage exits with zip tie , sbd and zip tie the bottom tray so it can't slide out. Then take the whole cage outside I the shade and sit with her never leave it un attended!! Some time outside can have such a huge impact on mental health. It can be scary at first, but they usually quickly love it, fresh air , different stuff to look at. If you can do a half hour a couple of times a week or when you can . Never out them in full sun, in shade or light shade.

Talk and explain stuff to them ssy hello before you come to the cage, create routine and ritual and usessne phrases.

Put a bunch of perches and stuff on the outside of the cage. As well as food and water bowls. Put a perch on the outside right by the door. And see if you can start giving treats there. Leave the door open when you have time to fool around, and have closed off the rest of house and made it as safe as can. With the hopes will start coming out on own .

On veggies yay! Don't give up!!! Offer them as perches, stuff through bars, hang them above perches , offer in flat plate in bottom of cage. Offer whole stuff, cut stuff shredded stuff, cooked stuff. Make a plate for yourself if the same things you offer and eat it next to the cage , with lots of happy sounds. It took 2 years for one of mine to eat romaine lettuce, and now it's inher too 3! Peas, and tomato bring her favorite 2 besides boiled it scrambled egg..

You guys will get there.