• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Is he jealous of her having a good time?

Cloud

Strolling the yard
Recently my Whiteface Fallow Cockatiel (Cloud) has started to scream at Sky's face whenever he sees her showering with a spray bottle. Any idea why? Cloud is 5 months old, and Sky is almost 5 months old, too.
Cloud usually doesn't like it if she gets too close to his personal space. They usually don't mind being around each other. They do flock calling when they are apart or don't see each other.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I am not sure, If I had to guess, it is because sky is spreading her wings, which sometimes can be interpreted as "this spot is mine and life is good". In this case she's spreading her wings to enjoy the shower, but maybe Cloud thinks she is claiming your arm as her perch and he doesn't like that, so he tells her off. Cockatiels are moody lil buggers. I personally would move him a little further away so Sky can enjoy her shower in peace. :) I apologize about refering to each as him and her, I didn't notice which is female and male.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
To me it looks like Cloud is jealous and wants a bath too. My tiels always want to infringe on each other’s bath time. Maybe try spraying them both, or Cloud first.

Cloud

Strolling the yard
I am not sure, If I had to guess, it is because sky is spreading her wings, which sometimes can be interpreted as "this spot is mine and life is good". In this case she's spreading her wings to enjoy the shower, but maybe Cloud thinks she is claiming your arm as her perch and he doesn't like that, so he tells her off. Cockatiels are moody lil buggers. I personally would move him a little further away so Sky can enjoy her shower in peace. :) I apologize about refering to each as him and her, I didn't notice which is female and male.
Haha, no worries! Cloud is a boy. I will pay more attention to them when Sky is spreading her wings. I am their favorite perch after all, haha. I used to reward her when Sky spread her wings and trained her to do eagle before. But i don't do that anymore because I started to worry that it might change her behavior or it might change her cagemate's behavior. She started to do less and less since I stopped rewarding that behavior.

Cloud

Strolling the yard
To me it looks like Cloud is jealous and wants a bath too. My tiels always want to infringe on each other’s bath time. Maybe try spraying them both, or Cloud first.
I have tried spraying Cloud first, and spraying both, too. When i sprayed Cloud first, he would just run away from the water and hide on my shoulder. When i sprayed both together, he would still scream at her, and Sky could fall off from my hand. So I have to remove either of them, and Cloud would find her back and scream at her. If I leave either one of them in the cage while i spray one of them, they would flock calling each other. Especially Cloud, he was flock calling her right next to my ear. My ear was ringing for a minute or two. :faint:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Have you ever thought about getting a couple of shower perches? I have three because my birdies don’t like to share lol.

Cloud

Strolling the yard
I am somewhat worried that the suction cups may not hold and injure the birds.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I am somewhat worried that the suction cups may not hold and injure the birds.
Are your birds clipped? You can always test the shower perch before using. Mine seems to stick really good to the window :)

I reward my tiel to spread her wings , it hasn't caused any issues. I taught her to show wings for a treat when she was 4 months old. She is 2 years old now :) She spreads wings when she wants to exercise, is afraid or something, hangs upside down to claim her perch , and after shower time just to show how happy she is.

Cloud

Strolling the yard
Are your birds clipped? You can always test the shower perch before using. Mine seems to stick really good to the window :)

I reward my tiel to spread her wings , it hasn't caused any issues. I taught her to show wings for a treat when she was 4 months old. She is 2 years old now :) She spreads wings when she wants to exercise, is afraid or something, hangs upside down to claim her perch , and after shower time just to show how happy she is.
Ohh that's interesting. Sky would do anything for treats. Even if I don't ask her to do anything, she would spread her wings and look at me. She expects me to give her treats. She is a silly girl.:wacky:

Both of them were already clipped when I first got them. Cloud has all his flight feathers, he can fly. Sky is molting now. She only has 4 flight feathers only on her one wing. I hear people say if one feather falls off from one side of the wing, the feather on the other side will also fall off and grow back. Somehow, I only see her flight feathers are growing back her one side so far, and she is not losing any feathers on her other wing. I am excited and can't wait for her to have all her flight feathers back. :)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My suction cups stick well if you dampen the wall and suction cup first. You can feel if they are secure, and only put them on smooth surfaces like very flat tile, glass or fiberglass. I take them off after each use.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yeah I was going to say if they aren't clipped, they aren't going to fall if the perch falls they are going to fly off. My tiel one day chewed apart her hammock attachment made of sisal rope, and her entire hammock fell down to the floor. She prompted a fly around the room abit startled, but is an avid flyer and landed safely on the curtain. Some clipped birds cannot fly or never learned how to fly. But i must say my perch has been sticking on my window for almost a year now .. I should probably clean my windows soon haha.

Cloud

Strolling the yard
I am impressed it is sticking on your window for almost a year, haha. I am currently training Sky to jump on my hand that is far enough for her to flap her wings. Now I am waiting for a shower perch to arrive. Recently Cloud has started showing aggression toward Sky sometimes, so I just ordered another cage for Sky. Got to separate those two, so she can be stress-free.
Thank you for all the information guys!:)