• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is essential oils harmful for my macaw

Trying to find out how to use sensual oils to rid myself of insects but not harmful to my macaw

• Good to use

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Harmful

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Fatal

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

Pickelmouse

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sheryl
Having insect trouble the house has roaches and spiders and I'm trying to find out if essential oils Cypress Oil treat tea tree oil citronella oil spearmint or peppermint oil are going to be harmful to my macaw

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Welcome to AA
is Tea Tree oil is not safe for any birds.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Parrots/birds have very sensitive respiratory systems and Macaws have an even more sensitive one. You shouldn't be using anything but clean air around your bird.

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
Having insect trouble the house has roaches and spiders and I'm trying to find out if essential oils Cypress Oil treat tea tree oil citronella oil spearmint or peppermint oil are going to be harmful to my macaw

In The Animal Desk Reference: Essential Oils for Animals by Dr. Melissa Shelton the only essential oil that she says to avoid is arborvitae (Thuja plicata). That is for use on the actual parrot, which is entirely different than used in a home that houses a parrot. I own parrots and I use essential oils in my home daily. I diffuse a peppermint and eucalyptus (allergy blend) every morning for myself and I have done so for years. Now the birds are not right in it but they are not removed from the house either. I use peppermint throughout my house for spider control, it is said that spiders do not like the smell of peppermint but actually 1 drop of peppermint will kill a spider in less than 1 minute. A cotton ball and peppermint will keep your windows free from spider webs, refresh weekly. Education is the key to success :)

https://www.amazon.com/Animal-Desk-Reference-Essential-Animals/dp/1483914941

https://www.amazon.com/Holistic-Aro...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TPJE2MB86R57M6XAPC5X

20 mule team borax and diatomaceous earth are both good at insect control and so is the spice Cinnamon (cassia). Cassia cinnamon is high in a blood-thinning component called coumarin and can cause liver damage. Insects will avoid it I use it in my garage can to keep the ants out. That is why they say to feed ceylon cinnamon to parrots instead of cassia cinnamon, a little would not cause a problem but if it was something that you fed daily or regularly over time it would.

Cinnamomum cassia - Wikipedia

Pickelmouse

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sheryl
Welcome to AA
is Tea Tree oil is not safe for any birds.
Thanks I'm new to dealing with macaws it's been a hard year since he showed up half frozen an starved during a storm I nursed him back to were his feather look healthy but since he better he tries to attack my husband or any body that gets near me/him

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Parrots/birds have very sensitive respiratory systems and Macaws have an even more sensitive one. You shouldn't be using anything but clean air around your bird.

I completely agree with John.