• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is anyone else creeped out by talking birds, or have family members who do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Anita, again what Mercedez said was this: "If your truly disgusted or creeped out by a talking bird, I suggest sticking to species who aren't known to talk in human and can't mimic." I think that's a pretty logical thing to say to someone who professes being *creeped out* by talking birds - stick to species, including bird species, who don't talk. I, for instance, have an irrational reaction to snakes, so I wouldn't keep one, not even a rescue. It's pretty simple.

I don't know whether you have birds who speak human language - if you do, how do you deal? I would think that, if you're creeped out by your birds, they'll be able to tell - they do pick up on all our emotions.

GlassOnion

Okay, let me try to clarify.. I am not against talking birds, I am fascinated and I enjoy it. There is a bare eyed too at a local store that I frequent, and we often have simple conversations. My fiancé has also said he finds it adorable. However, I admit that it is a little shocking and sometimes a little creepy when you suddenly hear a clear, enunciated voice of an elderly man when you are least expecting it. If it was my bird and knew what the voice was, I wouldn't feel this sudden reaction. Also, it's not often that I hear a perfect human voice from a bird, so I am not as used to it as many others here.-I really need to clarify that I am NOT against talking birds, or don't ever want to hear it. I have appreciated the Greys for what they can do, and I want to hear more of it in the future. What I am saying is that when you hear something you least expect, it's a little bit creepy. And really, it's only a little.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Okay, let me try to clarify.. I am not against talking birds, I am fascinated and I enjoy it. There is a bare eyed too at a local store that I frequent, and we often have simple conversations. My fiancé has also said he finds it adorable. However, I admit that it is a little shocking and sometimes a little creepy when you suddenly hear a clear, enunciated voice of an elderly man when you are least expecting it. If it was my bird and knew what the voice was, I wouldn't feel this sudden reaction. Also, it's not often that I hear a perfect human voice from a bird, so I am not as used to it as many others here.-I really need to clarify that I am NOT against talking birds, or don't ever want to hear it. I have appreciated the Greys for what they can do, and I want to hear more of it in the future. What I am saying is that when you hear something you least expect, it's a little bit creepy. And really, it's only a little.
I am glad you cleared that up Anita.
GlassOnion has been to my home and she really liked my talking birds, there was not a shred of disgust or anything, she loved them! :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I admit when you are not used to it, you may be caught off guard. Usually when people hear Chopper talk for the first time though, they smile and laugh:) But all people will never react the same. Once you get used to it though, I think it would be more "normal"

GlassOnion

Thanks Danita.Leslie- I really do believe our reactions are due to our few meetings with talking birds. I figure you get used to it very quickly.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
It just might be the choice of word "creepy" that has initiated the discussion. I am surprised at times seeing the cutest sweetest bird seemingly dainty and they something with a mans voice. Some may use creepy to explain...it just isn't my word. Oh if we could only hear the inflection and read the body language when one posts things. But we do get by......

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Maybe it's been said in one of the previous posts and I missed it, but I've found you learn quite a bit about your bird's past life when you adopt a talking adult bird. I also have noticed the tone of their voices has changed a bit over the time they've lived with me and my other talking birds. I have a higher pitched voice and my birds who talk do also. Some of the rehomes have a lower voice but they now say things in a higher voice also.

This reminds me of the woman I met from Michigan whose 20 something year old Amazon speaks in her children's 8 and 10 year old voices ("mom, he's hitting me!!") as well as their mid-twenties year old voices. She said it can be quite unsettling to hear her now adult children fighting in the background through her parrot's talking ability. Talk about a long memory!

The different ways each parrot enunciates is also fascinating to me. Bella says, "peekaBOO" whereas Sully, Lafitte and Sailor all say, "PEEKaboo".

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I don't think its creepy but really awesome! I do think it looks weird when Tink is eating and talking at the same time- true multitasking!

GlassOnion

Firstly, thank you to those who have expressed how they feel about talking birds. That was my original intent- I was curious as to how everyone felt about parrots that could truly sound like a person, if there was anyone that thought of it as strange.

Unfortunately, I feel that much of this thread has turned into bashing me with unreasonable insults, which was not this thread's purpose. I understand that there are people who get off on the satisfaction of feeling like they've made a statement but at times I find that pathetic. Please stop, this thread was not intended for anything controversial at all.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I don't know why everyone is getting so upset with the word creepy...it means annoying or unpleasant. I find a lot of things creepy that a lot of you would find perfectly normal. I can understand why someone would think a bird speaking in a human voice would find it unpleasant and creepy. I find most parrot screaming as loud as they can unpleasant..that doesn't mean I hate or dislike all parrots. Geesh.

Last edited:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
My TAG Asher when another birds dares step foot on his cage he says in a deep angry man's voice "STEP UP" to him that means get the heck off my cage now! I could totally understand someone that never heard a bird speak in a human voice being creeped out or disturbed by it, me on the other hand thinks it is hilarious...gosh when I first heard him I might at the time thought it was a little off putting. I get creeped out when I am home alone and they make the door alarm beep. I think someone is coming into my home and I can only imagine how I would feel for the first time if I heard Asher and his man's voice and I was another room not knowing it was him...probably a little creeped out.

Last edited:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
At the request of the original poster, the thread is now closed.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.