• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is a hamster wheel safe for a parrotlet? Also taming questions

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
I adopted a parrotlet today and I saw that one of them was playing in a hamster/rat wheel that had been attached to the cage.
I was wondering if this is safe? I know rats can lose limbs in those.

The bird I adopted was 5 weeks old, but doesn't seem to have been hand fed. She is somewhat fearful, and I was wondering if taming her will be easier because of her age though?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Congrats on your new baby! Are you sure on the age. 5 weeks seems a bit young to be going to a new home. Weaning is usually at around 6 weeks and then most people will keep them for another 2 weeks just to make sure they are comfortable eating on their own.

I always felt that a hamster wheel could be safe but you have to get the right one.

This is a death trap:

images (3).jpg

The ones with the open front is what you need and even then you should keep an eye on it to make sure your bird is not somehow using it in a way that seems dangerous.

download.jpg

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Yes she is definitely very young, her and her sister were gifted to the breeder. Her feathers are still growing in, and she is probably the size of my (female) index finger. I thought it was very odd that they were given to her so young as well.
Congrats on your new baby! Are you sure on the age. 5 weeks seems a bit young to be going to a new home. Weaning is usually at around 6 weeks and then most people will keep them for another 2 weeks just to make sure they are comfortable eating on their own.

I always felt that a hamster wheel could be safe but you have to get the right one.

This is a death trap:

View attachment 250301

The ones with the open front is what you need and even then you should keep an eye on it to make sure your bird is not somehow using it in a way that seems dangerous.

View attachment 250300