• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Irving Pig

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:angel4: to eat or not to eat...that is the ?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That way they can see and "talk" to each other and Irving doesn't get bullied...:)
Piggies grow so fast. Irving has almost doubled in size since those pics were taken...and he holds his own when Harvey tries to boss him around. He still gets pushed around, but he'll try very hard to hold his ground. When he gets to be full grown, I think Harvey will be surprised...Irving won't take being messed with, like Buster did...;)

Life with two boars is always interesting...:rolleyes:

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
He is so adorable! I will have to share pics of our piggies soon but Irving has them beat for beauty!

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's cool how they're called boers :) what are the ladies called? ...... Mrs. Piggy :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I always had sows to avoid the fights. The sows have a hierarchy, but don't fight, just push and squeal. My Olivia Newton Pig was the exact color of my long auburn hair an I wore her constantly when I wasn't working. Pigs do not jump and stay where yes put them, so I even wore her when I left the house for shopping!

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Oh he is a cute little guy! :fairy2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I always had sows to avoid the fights.
I have a feeling that when Irving gets a little older we could have some piggie fights on our hands. Harvey's always been "top pig" and Irving doesn't look like he's going to back down from him. Just another thing we'll have to watch for...:rolleyes:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If you allow them to go at it until someone gives up, it will stop pretty quickly. The boars I had would go at it tooth and nail, but only for about fifteen minutes and they never drew blood on one another. It was a lot more violent than watching roosters fight, but like I said, it didn't last long and they may have had bruises, but not blood and guts. Then about once a year the loser would try again, usually in May or June, to knock off the top pig, but, again, fifteen minutes and done!

I watched a show on Nat Geo Wild once that documented the animals who live with humans and they showed two Peruvian families who had cavies. One was a farmer and lived in a lean-to hut and the pigs lived back behind the storage containers along the wall. As soon as the woman of the house brought in a handful of greens, out came twenty or thirty pigs, squealing and running. She tore off the outer leaves of the plant and threw them to the piggies and they settled down in groups and ate the big leaves. While the lady cooked, two of the big pigs and a handful of babies ran all over the lady's lap and under her skirt, getting petted and spoken to. The narrator said this family did occasionally eat cavies on specific holidays, and did eat pigs from their heard, but usually only the biggest boars and perhaps a sow who was bad tempered. The other family lived on an upscale farm, kept the piggies because it was tradition and they lived in the mudroom off the kitchen. They had about ten pigs and said if they did eat pig on those holidays it was from a vendor in the street and they would never eat their own piggies because the kids would be upset. When asked if the kids got upset when they sent their swine or beef to slaughter, the farmer said they did not. But the piggies were special and much loved as a symbol of their ancient civilization.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
If you allow them to go at it until someone gives up, it will stop pretty quickly. The boars I had would go at it tooth and nail, but only for about fifteen minutes and they never drew blood on one another. It was a lot more violent than watching roosters fight, but like I said, it didn't last long and they may have had bruises, but not blood and guts. Then about once a year the loser would try again, usually in May or June, to knock off the top pig, but, again, fifteen minutes and done!

I watched a show on Nat Geo Wild once that documented the animals who live with humans and they showed two Peruvian families who had cavies. One was a farmer and lived in a lean-to hut and the pigs lived back behind the storage containers along the wall. As soon as the woman of the house brought in a handful of greens, out came twenty or thirty pigs, squealing and running. She tore off the outer leaves of the plant and threw them to the piggies and they settled down in groups and ate the big leaves. While the lady cooked, two of the big pigs and a handful of babies ran all over the lady's lap and under her skirt, getting petted and spoken to. The narrator said this family did occasionally eat cavies on specific holidays, and did eat pigs from their heard, but usually only the biggest boars and perhaps a sow who was bad tempered. The other family lived on an upscale farm, kept the piggies because it was tradition and they lived in the mudroom off the kitchen. They had about ten pigs and said if they did eat pig on those holidays it was from a vendor in the street and they would never eat their own piggies because the kids would be upset. When asked if the kids got upset when they sent their swine or beef to slaughter, the farmer said they did not. But the piggies were special and much loved as a symbol of their ancient civilization.
Interesting...even more interesting that a guinea would become bad tempered. In all my experience, I've never really seen a bad tempered pig...just about every other "mood" you can imagine, just not bad tempered...so I learned something new today...:)