• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN territory training (sad update #4)

Punfr27

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Chase Bryant
Hi! I have a 10mo old F Indian/African Ringneck hybrid and a couple of months ago we added a green cheek (M 3mo old) to keep her company while my partner and I are at work. After quarantining them, we brought their cages into the same room. They are practically the same model cage, so look quite similar if not exactly same (not sure if this is applicable) they get along fine being out of the cage at the same time with no intense aggression between them. The issue starts when the IRN decides that his playtop is now hers. She’ll fly over and case him off. This isn’t constant but frequent enough that I’m afraid it may grow into something bigger once the Conure hits puberty.
So my question:
Is there training that could be done to cement what is and isn’t her territory, and what is common ground? Or is this a lost cause? Thanks in advance!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:hello:
your birds are gorgeous

my female indie is very cage aggressive no ones allowed on her cage lose a foot mind a toe how gets so whenever anyone lands on her cage I remove and say no place them on their perch this includes her play area above her cage her foraging well above her cage and her boing on her cage if remi goes there I call him back give treat hes learnt pretty fast not to go on her cage I always do their tricks on their perch on their cage they do have a play area in middle of indie cage to I’ve block off her side with a seagrass mat so if she’s inside she can’t reach bird outside on play area
Remi not cage aggressive yet he’s about 7/8months not sure when it starts but he’s not bothered when Indie climbs his cage or does in

You could try removing saying no placing on their playstand and having a phrase like yours etc and give a treat
See if that works for you too

Punfr27

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Chase Bryant
Thank you all for the information, but unfortunately the IRN did our conure in. With his wings clipped so tight from the breeder, he couldn’t properly rudder away from her. He fell to the ground fracturing his spine, causing paralysis from the waist down. We had to say goodbye to our baby after only 63 day of having him in our care. I feel so bad. This was a grave mistake on my part, and a learning experience that shouldn’t have ended in the loss of a life. I feel humbled by my ignorance. There will not be another baby in our house for a while. Not till the grieving process is over, and most importantly, not till my partner and I learn much more on how to properly handle our IRN.

Please forgive me Baby Tofu.
You were too good for me, and deserved better. You will be deeply missed, and will always be in my heart. I hope you’re resting easy in that big aviary in the sky. I love you.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh gosh I'm so sorry!
Thank you for being honest about your journey.
When I opened this and saw your picture, I thought they looked on the way to being friends.
It's such a shame to have birds clipped, tho I know this wasn't your choice. It's more frustrating when it's done improper.
Accidents are so heartbreaking, and I've had my own,.. only it was me. :(
hugs to you

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I am so so sorry for your loss. I hope you find peace soon. I know it is so hard.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am sorry for your loss.

How saddening that this could have been avoided had the breeder not clipped so poorly.

I hope you will continue posting here on the site. Maybe some members can help you with your IRN.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh what a tragedy I'm so sorry for your loss.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh no, I am so sorry very for your loss :(